• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paper Mill Smell!

sageparrot

Moving in
Real Name
Elyse
Hello! I have a little parrotlet name Ria, I recently got her and I am so happy to have my first bird! The only problem is that I live about 3 miles away from a paper mill. It emits a sulfur smell on certain days and I am very worried about the smell getting into my apartment. I have purchased an air purifier that traps VOCs and plan on watching the weather closely because it smells worst on very cloudy and windy days. I also keep her farthest away from the window. I am reaching out for any suggestions on keeping her safe! Thank you! :)

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi and welcome!
:hello:

Be sure the purifier does not emit ozone (a byproduct of UV-C light). Some purifiers use a light to kill germs in the air, but sometimes you can turn this function off.

Do you open your window? And close it on cloudy or windy days? Is that the plan to protect the air quality when the weather is not ideal? Just curious. :)

Hopefully someone here can offer some advice.

sageparrot

Moving in
Real Name
Elyse
Hello! I tripple checked that I got a purifier with an activated carbon HEPA filter that is 100% ozone free.
And yes that is the plan! The windows will be closed and locked on days it smells and I am also going to put out little mason jars with activated charcoal around the windows as an extra precaution.