• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pairing Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim0398

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
Ok So I have a gorgeous Yellow normal Pearl hen, she is a sweet heart, now her mate is a whiteface split to pearl and he is a beast, he plucks the babies bloody and I cant stand it anymore. I want to pair up my female but unsure as to what mutation or color to find as far as a male goes, also if there are any other breeders out there with a male I would be interested in buying from afar. Just throwing it out there, But I would like to pair her with someone who is quite mutated.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I'm going to assume your talking about cockatiels :)

it depends more on what mutations your going for

If your going for pearls than you want a male who is pearl or split to pearl

other wise all your males will be split to pearls and you won't have any visual pearls if the male doesn't carry the gene

if she doesn't have any other mutations like split to white face - then no matter what you put her with your mainly going to get Greys

if you find a male split to or visually lutino all females will be lutino, all males will be split to lutino

most cockatiel mutations to be visual needs both parents carrying the gene

If you wanted

pied - both parents need to be carrying the pied gene

White face- again both parents need to be carrying the gene

If you want visual pearls again the male needs to carry it, Pearl is a sex linked gene if only the female carries it, You will not get any visuals

Same with Lutino & cinnamon

so what Visual mutations do you want to get?

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee
Your knowledge of this amazes me, Kelli!

tim0398

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
Well Nutmeg is a normal Pearl with no other Splits, and as far as visuals go I just would like something that is pretty, I knew with pearls you have to put one with the other, its just a tad hard to find something other then whiteface to carry the pearl gene, I love cinnamons but I see Cinnamon pearls all over the place and I just want something different that would be unique.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Your knowledge of this amazes me, Kelli!
:o:

Well Nutmeg is a normal Pearl with no other Splits, and as far as visuals go I just would like something that is pretty, I knew with pearls you have to put one with the other, its just a tad hard to find something other then whiteface to carry the pearl gene, I love cinnamons but I see Cinnamon pearls all over the place and I just want something different that would be unique.
I have Dominant silver pearls coming out of my ears here

thought I had a normal white face pearl, and a Normal Pearl hen... then when they had their 1st clutch I thought i got cinnamon's in males and females plus white faces so then i figured my wf pearl male was split to cinnamon and my normal pearl hen was actually cinnamon pearl spit to wf - found out on their 2nd clutch the male is WF dominant silver pearl and his mate was Normal Pearl split to white face - but Dominant silver being well Dominant that's all i've gotten for a few years, Because that's pretty much all I have

but This time I put one of my Normal Dominant Silver pearl pied males with a Pied female and got 2 Dominant silver pearl pied females and 2 Pied males :D

I'm still waiting on my normal Grey split to pied and lutino to do something with a White Face Cinnamon Female I got about a year ago, so i can at least have males split to Cinnamon and white face

but she keeps laying 2 eggs, sits on them gets bored, tosses them out, lays 2 more and does the same process over again

So I'm thinking of paring him back to his original mate which is my pied Female at least with them I get Pieds, Grey, and Lutino and Lutino Pied females

I've tried every pairing I have to get out of getting over populated with Dominant Silver and it's just not working, only way to do that is to get rid of All the dominant silver and start over.. and it took me 3 years to get the 9 I have now

but here is a Genetic Calculator for Tiels - its easy to use. and if you don't get what it says you should get, then you can start figuring out what parent (or if its both parents) are split to what ever you got that you shouldn't of gotten

I still use it every time i go to set up a pair even though normally i'm 99.9% sure what i'm getting but doesn't hurt to double check :)

Cockatiel Color Palette

tim0398

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
OMG I have wanted silvers for the longest time cant really find them anywhere around here and if I do people are usully cahrging 200 per bird for them

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
OMG I have wanted silvers for the longest time cant really find them anywhere around here and if I do people are usully cahrging 200 per bird for them

thats a bit more than I charge for mine. but they are "rare" so they will be more

I have a guy coming this weekend to look at my 2 i'm hand feeding both Dominant Silver Pearl pieds - Females and sisters I'm selling them for $125 a piece I sold their grandpa for $100 Their grandma died when their dad was a day old, She was an Emerald Pearl pied (also known as Olive) So their dad is Split to olive and makes all his babies Split to olive

I can't FIND another Emerald (Olive) to save my life to put with him to get visuals That is my next mutation I'd like to have coming out of my ears but it was just a lucky break I got his parents, the guy had no clue what he had !

but when I price mine mine isn't just on mutations its also if they're hand fed or parent raised. So of course the hand fed ones will be a bit more and then add the mutation to it. but I try to keep all my tiels at $150 or lower I'm known to start out higher then go down, Or if people buy more than one I will "make a package deal" like this guy coming to look at them if he buys them both he'll get them both for 225 - may just be $5 off - but try to buy ONE for $125 at a pet shop here- that won't happen

Pet smart here a few years ago had a Normal Pearl for $149 I sold my normal pearls that were hand fed (pet smarts was not tame little lone hand fed) for $60

Last edited:

tim0398

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
Oh I had an emerald once and he was pied, but I didnt have anything to breed him with when I started so I sold him to an elderly woman at the time, I recently had been keeping in touch with her, and found out her son sold the bird to a snake breeder, I was non to pleased, I had emialed him when he told me that he should have just sold it back to me, but he said a bird is a bird and it would die someday anyways, again the things that go through peoples heads these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.