• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Painting with birds in the house

Jean20057

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
Hey everybody!

My niece is moving in soon, so I decided to post now. She wants to paint the walls on the opposite side of the house. I need to see what I can do to keep Lily safe. Any suggestions? The fans can be turned on, the windows opened and stuff put under doors. Anything else you guys can think of?

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
Hey everybody!

My niece is moving in soon, so I decided to post now. She wants to paint the walls on the opposite side of the house. I need to see what I can do to keep Lily safe. Any suggestions? The fans can be turned on, the windows opened and stuff put under doors. Anything else you guys can think of?
The paint fumes are harmful to birds. Try to find a way to get your birds away from the paint fumes. If you can smell the paint fumes, the birds can too. Get your birds far away from the fumes or try to get someone to borrow your birds for a bit.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The best option will always be to move birds from the area but that is not always a possibility so the other suitable option is to make the room being painted a negative pressure room. If you can set up decent strength fans to suck air from the painted room and blow it out of window of the room being painted (like a temporary exhaust fan) to remove the paint fumes that will be more helpful than just blocking door bottoms and having the windows open. You essentially want to make the room have more air being sucked out of it than is in there so that it draws fresh air from the rest of the house and the fumes are then unable to enter the house as the air flow is the wrong way for them to enter the house.

If my description is not clear then just do a google search for "negative pressure room" for a better example or explanation.

Jean20057

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
The paint fumes are harmful to birds. Try to find a way to get your birds away from the paint fumes. If you can smell the paint fumes, the birds can too. Get your birds far away from the fumes or try to get someone to borrow your birds for a bit.
The room to be painted is on the other end of the house with a kitchen and living room between. I have nobody that can take our Lily and we can't afford to rent a room. With the doors closed I should have her far enough away?

The best option will always be to move birds from the area but that is not always a possibility so the other suitable option is to make the room being painted a negative pressure room. If you can set up decent strength fans to suck air from the painted room and blow it out of window of the room being painted (like a temporary exhaust fan) to remove the paint fumes that will be more helpful than just blocking door bottoms and having the windows open. You essentially want to make the room have more air being sucked out of it than is in there so that it draws fresh air from the rest of the house and the fumes are then unable to enter the house as the air flow is the wrong way for them to enter the house.

If my description is not clear then just do a google search for "negative pressure room" for a better example or explanation.
Your description is perfect, I will definitely be doing this. Anything else we can do? Unfortunately we can't move Lily out of the house.

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
The room to be painted is on the other end of the house with a kitchen and living room between. I have nobody that can take our Lily and we can't afford to rent a room. With the doors closed I should have her far enough away?

Your description is perfect, I will definitely be doing this. Anything else we can do? Unfortunately we can't move Lily out of the house.
Try to get multiple fans to blow away the paint fumes.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

When we were in a similar position I blocked off the room the birds were in from the rest of the house and ventilated their room by opening a window as an extra precaution.
Between the fan set up in the room being painted sucking the air straight outside and you blocking the air flow into the area your bird is in I think you’ll be fine especially if you choose to buy a low VOC paint to use.

Jean20057

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
We found a no VOC paint that we're going to use, luckily they also use no VOC pigments. Ovation from Sherwin Williams? Has anyone used this?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
We found a no VOC paint that we're going to use, luckily they also use no VOC pigments. Ovation from Sherwin Williams? Has anyone used this?
I have not used that brand but I did find some No VOC paint of a different brand and I asked the store for a small sample... the No Voc stuff I found still smelled bad so I chose to buy the paint with a much cheaper price tag, larger colour choice and better reviews on the end results as either way I had to air the house out.

I also asked some friends who are painters by trade and they had nothing good to say about using the no voc paint nor the end result of it. You probably have many more brands on offer in the US than we have but it might be worth asking for some samples and comparing the differences for yourself.