• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Painting walls

rowboat

Checking out the neighborhood
I have two budgies and I need to paint my room. The current plan is to move them to the furthest room with a door and have a fan running in there with the window open so they get fresh air. In my room I would also have a window open with a fan and the vents would be covered by books so the fumes hopefully don't travel. We have one air purifier and plan to switch it between my room and the birds ever couple hours. I would lodge them somewhere but the only bird shop near me is closing down and I don't have any friends that are willing and I trust enough to look after my boys.

So I have a few questions,
Should I get a second air purifier so both rooms can have one consistently running?
If we stick with only one air purifier would it be more beneficial to keep it in one room or the other?
Is 48 hours enough time after paint fully dries or should I wait longer to move the birds back?

Any answers are greatly appreciated, I don't want to mess this up.

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Bump.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You will want your birds out of the area until the fumes completely go, nobody can give you an hourly timeframe of how long you need to wait as conditions will vary for each situation but if you can still smell paint then there are still harmful VOC's in the air which you do not want your birds inhaling. New paint may be completely dried in a day or so but the fumes may hang about much longer.