• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Painting and oven cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I am going to be painting several rooms within the next couple of weeks. I am using an "ecological" paint, but to be really safe, I plan on painting on days where the weather is such that the birds can be out for the day, and all the windows will be open.

I thought that might also be an opportunity to use the self cleaning feature on the oven, if the house is aired out for several hours before the birds come back inside. Do you think that would be safe?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you need to let the house air out for at least 48 hours after an oven clean..one of the ladies on another board three tiels die on her from an oven clean better safe than sorry

Justina

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Justina
Yeah, the self cleaning oven worries me a little. The cleaning mode works by heating to very high temperatures. At those temperatures so many toxins could be released that wouldn't be normally.

I agree with Anne, better safe than sorry.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would never let DH use that feature on the old oven, which is now deceased. The next one will be standard clean. I just do not trust self clean.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
When we first got our new oven, we put all the birds upstairs in a sealed room. We also closed off the stairway. We ran the self clean the full time and it smelled soo bad...and this was a new oven. We could not bring them down for a few days....took a while to air out.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It also takes 24 to 48 hours for paint to cure and stop emitting odors. That time starts from when you "finish" painting.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
We used the no VOC paint and there was no smell at all. We painted the living room at night after the birds went to bed in their room and I put a towel under the door. I kept them out of the living room for one day and then it was back to normal for them. No problems, no smell, no nothing :)

As for the oven...why not just use a shark steamer or something and just clean it out? I would be terrified to own a self cleaning oven much less use it.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Agreed on the better safe than sorry on the oven. I was wondering how long residue might linger after our human noses can no longer smell it.

Ortegah, I don't know whether it's even possible to buy an oven anymore that doesn't have the self cleaning feature - it's pretty standard. I don't think there's any particular danger to it if it's not used, though - as Justina pointed out, it works by super heating and burning everything off.

John, thanks for the reminder about how long it takes paint to cure, rather than just dry. I was planning to use a fan in the window to suck the air out of the painted room and to keep the door closed, but I will now also seal around the door.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Agreed on the better safe than sorry on the oven. I was wondering how long residue might linger after our human noses can no longer smell it.

Ortegah, I don't know whether it's even possible to buy an oven anymore that doesn't have the self cleaning feature - it's pretty standard. I don't think there's any particular danger to it if it's not used, though - as Justina pointed out, it works by super heating and burning everything off.

John, thanks for the reminder about how long it takes paint to cure, rather than just dry. I was planning to use a fan in the window to suck the air out of the painted room and to keep the door closed, but I will now also seal around the door.
I bought my oven maybe 3 years ago and it wasn't the best of the best so it didn't come with the self cleaning option ;)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Every oven I looked at was self clean...this was a year ago...:(

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
I used a no VOC paint a few months ago in a place I thought I might be renting. I painted on a sunny day and you could definitely see gases coming off the paint so even though there isn't a very strong odor I would still be careful.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
The last time I used the Self Cleaning feature on my oven, myself and my two kids all got seriously painful headaches....and the odour was awful for a full day afterwards. Since then Ive just scrubbed it by hand with soapy water.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
It looks like it was only one oven on the site though ;)

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Mine's not fancy either. I bought the most basic one that had enough room so that I could put my cast iron skillet and a decent size pot next to each other. But we live out in the country, and there's only one place close enough to not charge a huge delivery fee,so selection here is very limited, unless one is prepared to spend a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.