• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pain Medication for Parrots

Status
Not open for further replies.

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
Is there any common pain medication you can buy for parrots just at, like, a pet store? Or do all pain meds have to be perscribed by an avianarian?

Thank you. :hug3:

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking that it's probably something you'd have to get a prescription for because of how fragile they are and the huge size difference (which would mean dose difference) from smallest to largest domestically kept bird. The bird owning experts should be up soon to answer for you though :hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
FYI both my cat and bird vets have stopped prescribing metacam in light of some new liver damage studies.

editing to add: this is because my quaker already has liver issues, and my cat has arthritis so long term metacam is not advised. I will follow up with my cat vet because i seem to recall him saying he does not prescribe it any more in his clinic. Sorry for not qualifying at the outset.

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Is there any common pain medication you can buy for parrots just at, like, a pet store? Or do all pain meds have to be perscribed by an avianarian?

Thank you. :hug3:
Personally, I would be wanting to know WHY the bird was in pain/problems and a vet is the only one who can assess that issue and then would prescribe what is best/dosage for the bird/weight....
With that said...there are holistic meds / herb that will benefit pain over a LONG time...
Main Page
birds and holistic veterinary medicine. Homeopathy for animals. Alternative health.
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Kitchen Physician V - Herbal Remedies For Parrots and Pet Birds
Avian Naturals Ingredients - Natural Parrot Food. Grey Feather Toys. Organic Sprout Instructions, Organic Bird Food, Bird Supplies.
Untitled
Hope these help you!:hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

:faint: :( That's what Charles is on right now.
Dont worry you have excellent up to date vets in NY
I will ask my vets more about this
Please don't worry :hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Because I didn't think to ask them what they would give instead of metacam for severe pain. Please ignore what I said. I do NOT want to have you stressing out over this :(
Sorry Coco I was thoughtless :(

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I'm in VA now :o: Going to ask mine too.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Because I didn't think to ask them what they would give instead of metacam for severe pain. Please ignore what I said. I do NOT want to have you stressing out over this :(
Sorry Coco I was thoughtless :(
It's okay Saroj, I know :hug8:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

It's ok you know I'm thoughtless ?
:hehe:
YES! :rofl: No no no, that you didn't mean to stress me out at all. Is there another one that she/he recommends instead?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

YES! :rofl: No no no, that you didn't mean to stress me out at all. Is there another one that she/he recommends instead?
Just called my vet ... She's not in today. Didn't get a good answer at all from the front desk asking the techs :huh:
I'm now thinking it's because lscoot has liver issues she wouldn't give him any. Now the cat vet, he gave my cat tramadol for pain over metacam citing the studies. Made him really drugged poor guy. I stopped it and went holistic for arthritis pain.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Did some checking and found this written in 2009 " the manufacturer of the medicine and they said that it is not approved for use on avians" this person was giving it her African Grey from the vet and it passed away after she gave the meds to it...she said the vet said there was no reason for the grey to have died from the medication and she wrote the company and that was the answer...
This is not to scare you but to inform you...Things could have changed by now...
Metacam for avians - CafeMom
I also found this concerning a "correct dosage" forumal in giving medicam:
Poor Rupert!!! Metacam is fine for birds, as long as the vet prescribed the correct dose. Here's a formula so you can check.

Rupert's weight in kg (eg. 0.120) multiply by 0.4mg/kg then divide by the concentration of the drug. Here in New Zealand metacam oral comes in 1.5mg/ml (the dog formulation) or 0.5mg/ml (the cat formulation). It should be written on the bottle.

So assuming it's the 1.5mg/ml formula and assuming Rupert weighs 0.120kg then the formula should look like this.

0.120 X 0.4 = 0.032mls of metacam

Make you sure you give it with lots of fluids so the kidneys are protected. Only give it for 3 days. The tongue should heal super quickly so you shouldn't need it for any longer than that.

Taken from:
Parrot Forum • View topic - Ruperts bad night and rush to the Emergency Vet

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Last edited:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
:faint: :faint: Did the math and Charles should be on 0.0112 but he's on 0.02 per day :faint:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
:faint: :faint: Did the math and Charles should be on 0.0112 but he's on 0.02 per day :faint:
Ask your Vet if there is another non steroidal anti-inflammtory to use instead.

I posted the link and you can write this drug manufacture for info!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
And he's supposed to be on it for 7 days or something like that :(

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I phoned my vet and he said that they had definitely read these studies and found them legitimate when it comes to long term use or use over time for chronic pain, or when a bird/any animal already has kidney damage, but that for a short term pain medication on an otherwise healthy bird, they have found it to be safe. :huh::confused: They also said they had no other non-steroidal anti-inflammatories; they did have a morphine derivative pain med but it was more for sedation and I don't think Charles needs that. :(

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I phoned my vet and he said that they had definitely read these studies and found them legitimate when it comes to long term use or use over time for chronic pain, or when a bird/any animal already has kidney damage, but that for a short term pain medication on an otherwise healthy bird, they have found it to be safe. :huh::confused: They also said they had no other non-steroidal anti-inflammatories; they did have a morphine derivative pain med but it was more for sedation and I don't think Charles needs that. :(
that makes sense Coco....

my cat has arthritis so that's why he didn't give him metacam for long term pain management
now stop worrying, i think all is fine.
sorry i got you upset with my blanket statement about metacam...i will edit it:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.