• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Over the moon with excitement!

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
Hello!

I have to share this with someone who understands as my friends and partner are probably ready to strangle me if I won't shut up about it in person, haha!

Back in November/December of 2018 I was going through an extremely bad break up and my ex, behind my back while I was at work, stole and sold off my birds. My baby Macaw, my 10+ year old rescue Rosie, and my Sun Conure all vanished. I tried for months to find the new "owners" but since I had no "proof" they were stolen and sold, as we still lived together at the time even though I was in the process of moving out and out of state, I couldn't do much of anything except try and beg her to tell me who had them. I could never get her to tell me anything else about the situation despite trying to file a report, but it ultimately led nowhere. It was an extremely rough year for me since those birds were my babies next to my dogs. I still struggle with the thought of it even though time has passed and I was not sure how I was ever going to face getting a bird again as all it did was bring up hard memories and feelings.

Getting to the point of this post... I do shift work at a local rescue here in my city as I'm a Vet Tech and recently an injured Rose Breasted was brought in to us after the first of the year. It's not an unusual bird by any means to see, but we aren't an exotic rescue just mainly cats and dogs so having this guy brought in was quite different for us. We patched him up and got him healthy again and spent weeks looking for the owner. No one has ever called or came in asking for him. So, I've decided I'm adopting him. I am getting construction done on my house right now and it won't be finished until the end of April so one of my friends who has experience with Cockatoos has offered to shelter him for me until I can safely bring him home for good.

I literally cannot shut up about it. Vinny, my previous Rosie, was with me for over ten years so he had the deepest hole left in my heart after the incident. I know nothing and no one can replace him, but I just felt like it was right and a sign of good things to come. I'm scared, I'm excited, I'm nervous, I'm everything! April can't come soon enough.

I'll never give up searching for my babies in every way that I can, no matter how hopeless it seems and people tell me to move on. But when me and this new kid interact, I feel my heart healing. Maybe it's dumb, maybe it's pointless, but it just feels right! And I'll be happy to lurk this forum again. It was hard to even visit here because of memories with my babies, but just being on here again feels awesome!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What an awful thing to have happen to you and your birdies, but it seems like it is fate that this new bird has found you. A win win for both of you!
:congrats5:

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
Thank you so much!

What a rollercoaster it's been just this past week with news!

Monday morning I was looking locally for bird cages to see if there were any deals I could find and in doing so, came across a post of a lady who claims she had lost her Rose Breasted and was looking for him back. She lives about an hours drive from me. Wanting to do the right thing even though I had my heart set now on getting this bird, I sent her a text in the number provided and asked if she had any photos, videos, or identifying info to help locate her bird. I was careful and did not let her know right away I had "found" one. She sent me some photos, but it was extremely hard to tell because there really was nothing setting this bird apart from any other of its type. Deciding to do the right thing, I told her where I worked and we found a hurt bird at the beginning of January that was the same kind and asked if she could come in person to identity.

At first, she was really hesitant and then just asked for videos and photos. I told her I could send them, but it would be a lot easier if she just came in person, or I'd be willing to drive to her with the bird if need be. I asked if he had a name or common phrases said. She gave me both, so I tried them with him. He responded to both. She kept on texting me and asking me continuously when we could meet and she could take her bird back. I did inform her of his injuries when he was found, and told her he had been all fixed up and ready to be adopted because we tried for several weeks to find his owner but no one came forward. I showed her proof but she denied ever seeing it. I told her if this was truly her bird then I wouldn't have a problem returning him to her even though I had intended to adopt him.

Come Tuesday, I made the drive down to her and brought the bird along with a friend as well. I hate to be that person; but once we met her, my heart just sank. She lives in a really run down one bedroom house and everything was falling apart, dirty, and she had an abundance of animals in the living room (a Macaw, two turtles, a ferret, two guinea pig, and two dogs outside). She proceeded to smoke a cigarette right in front of us (and the bird, might I add...) which really upset me so I stepped back outside. She continued to show us photos/videos and "proof" of the bird being her's (a completely and utterly disgusting cage which, while roomy, looked like it had not been cleaned in a loooong time). There were stains everywhere and there was one string hanging from what appeared to be once, a toy. The bird, who she had named "Theo" did react to her and repeat a lot of things he said she would.

To keep a long story a little short; I did not give her back the bird. In fact, I paid her for him. She actually started complaining about not being able to pay her mortgage and asked if I would buy the bird off of her instead since I had "found him" for her. I hated to do it, but I could not stomach the fact of returning this baby to her or starting any drama. So, he's officially mine. To be safe, I made her sign a "receipt" for me as proof to keep myself and this kid as safe as possible.

Wanted to end this and share a video of him from when we came back home Tuesday. He has a vet appointment on Monday for blood work and a nail trim, and I'm starting to try and introduce him to a good diet (the lady said all she had been feeding him was cooked pasta :wideyed: and fruit blend, orange-only Zupreems because that was the only color he liked?) She said he is four years old, but she got him from someone else when he was three.

http://instagr.am/p/B82jjI5nlEJq1VYMpFtA_fWFbJepHMgpA7UeBM0/

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, I’m so glad that you were able to keep him! That would have been awful if you had to give him back. It seems like he was really meant to be with you! :heart:

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ohhhhh how wonderful! I am heartbroken to hear about your birds, but at least from bad circumstances this little guy found a loving forever home :heart: Hope we get some pics soon ;)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:wow:
What a story! I hope this helps you and your new birdie heal.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
This story brings back some faith in humans :heart:

what you did was right! And even though you should not have been made to pay for giving this bird a better life, i am glad you did it! You and your new friend will have wonderful times ahead!

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
I love happy stories!

CONGRATS. :heart2:

(Not my bussiness, but did you maybe consider reporting the lady to animal control or is the situation there not that bad?)
That's a really fair question. Me and my friend talked about it a lot on the way back. Yes, her living situation was bad. While none of her animals looked sick/dying, I would not say they were thriving, either. Ultimately, I felt it wasn't my place. I did give her some information about rescues in the area and some resources as well for some good food and supplies. She took them, but then started crying about how she can't afford mortgage. I just ended it with letting her know if she needs my help, she has my number and can contact me.

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley

Here's a short video of him from Tuesday afternoon. He really is a character! He says, "Hello!", "Show me yours", he whispers "Whatcha doing?" really creepy in your ear, "Who's a big boy" and he mimics dog barks, cat meows, and the sound of someone chewing :lol: Truly this guy is a delight.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
That's a really fair question. Me and my friend talked about it a lot on the way back. Yes, her living situation was bad. While none of her animals looked sick/dying, I would not say they were thriving, either. Ultimately, I felt it wasn't my place. I did give her some information about rescues in the area and some resources as well for some good food and supplies. She took them, but then started crying about how she can't afford mortgage. I just ended it with letting her know if she needs my help, she has my number and can contact me.
I understand you can not always have Avicakes or roudybush or whatever... But cleaning doesen't cost a dime. :( .. Sorry, I take this kinda thing very personally.
I really wish you two have many happy years!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
One of my dream birds! Beautiful :heart::heart:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Here's a short video of him from Tuesday afternoon. He really is a character! He says, "Hello!", "Show me yours", he whispers "Whatcha doing?" really creepy in your ear, "Who's a big boy" and he mimics dog barks, cat meows, and the sound of someone chewing :lol: Truly this guy is a delight.
He cracks me up! :pinklol: Such a happy guy. :xflove: