• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Outdoor time

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
As I understood it, a partiall y clipped bird can fly but a completely clipped bird can't. If this is wrong, can you guys explain it for those of us that are confused

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some birds can still get lift even with their wings fully clipped. They just get an updraft and off they go. If something frightens the bird the flight or fight response takes over and they might attempt to take off. With clipped wings they might not get far but then you never know...with that updraft it's up, up and away.

BTW, your linnies are very cute.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Cute photo! Your Linnie's are gorgeous:)

And I agree with the others, Grumbles's wings are clipped (unfortunately) but he can still fly very well. He flies around my room a lot! :)

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Ah, ok. Inside when they try to launch they plummet to the ground so heavily I worry for their safety due to the splat landing. But maybe I'll throw some netting up over the deck....if the weather actually stays that nice.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The factor you have not allowed for is the wind outside. All they need is the panic, a nice wind and they are aloft...

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
They are very cute ...but yes like everyone has stated they can still get away from you if scared and/or a good wind comes around ..please be careful with them outside :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm with everyone else, please be very careful with them outside. Outside time is great but I'd even just invest in a travel cage for them. It's absolutely amazing what a small wind can do with a clipped and scared bird. Another thing to remember about clipping is that a good clip should never stop a bird from flying, it should just keep the bird from getting lift. If your guys are dropping to the ground like rocks, they probably don't have the right clip. From what I understand, Linnie clips can be kind of hard to get because they are heavier bodied birds. I wish I could give you a little more information about how to clip them but I don't clip my guys, so I don't know much about how to clip them. Your's are definitely gorgeous by the way! I love the Creminos!:)

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Kiwi came to me clipped. At her first vet check the vet said he didn't like the way she was clipped and did some adjustments. I have not decided if I will have her clipped again. Her wings seem really strong though. One of her favorite things to do is sit on my finger grasping really tight and flap as hard as she can.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Kiwi came to me clipped. At her first vet check the vet said he didn't like the way she was clipped and did some adjustments. I have not decided if I will have her clipped again. Her wings seem really strong though. One of her favorite things to do is sit on my finger grasping really tight and flap as hard as she can.
That's great exercise for her! I'm sure it's really fun to watch too! One of my greys loves to sit on his cage and flap for his life too!:)

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
I'm with everyone else, please be very careful with them outside. Outside time is great but I'd even just invest in a travel cage for them. It's absolutely amazing what a small wind can do with a clipped and scared bird. Another thing to remember about clipping is that a good clip should never stop a bird from flying, it should just keep the bird from getting lift. If your guys are dropping to the ground like rocks, they probably don't have the right clip. From what I understand, Linnie clips can be kind of hard to get because they are heavier bodied birds. I wish I could give you a little more information about how to clip them but I don't clip my guys, so I don't know much about how to clip them. Your's are definitely gorgeous by the way! I love the Creminos!:)
Thank you, they are adorable little birdies aren't they!? Yes, they were clipped at the pet store and I am not a fan of how it was done. I am letting things grow then getting the vet to do it, if we do it again.

I brought the whole cage out today, and next spring I will definitely buy an outside cage or do something wild and crazy like frame up an enclosure around a small bird-safe tree in the yard for play time.