• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Out of place flight feather?

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Is this a possible concern? This morning I woke up to see a feather on my bird’s back, which I haven’t seen before. There is not any blood, but he seems kind of aggravated, but still himself, not in any pain. Maybe some discomfort, but I want to see if this is something easily fixed or something bad.
By the way, he is 6 months old. Whenever he flies (His wings were clipped before we got him; not something I would have chosen in hindsight but they’ll grow back) it seems to go back in place but it can pop out again.

BE4214AE-80B9-4B90-9966-DA468BBE52D9.jpeg 9B0AD453-D6D4-450C-A5E1-524F5A51E133.jpeg

conureluv

Now he’s got two (Edit: wing lifting has stopped)! Should I be worried, because I am! They keep popping in and out! @Ali @Zara
99BD6B7F-4EBA-4E53-9D6E-34FB4CC08C03.jpeg

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It happens, especially if there are clipped feathers in front of them, as they aren't as well supported :)

conureluv

Looks like it’s gone this morning, I’ll keep you posted.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It happens to my birds longer flight feathers and tail feathers sometimes :)

Just so you know, if you edit your post to add tags, those people won´t get alerts. The tag has to be in the original post.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Good luck!

conureluv

Ok, so I pushed back some of the feathers (day 3 or 4) and the shaft is broken (no blood, I think it was a feather that already was done forming(blood finished because it finished growing). Should I pull it? It is hanging on by a small piece attached to the skin. image.jpg
Sorry, it is very blurry because he was chewing on my phone. This is pretty urgent if it is bad, so I would like to call @Zara . If she sees this, please add some of the avian urgent privileged.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am having a hard time understanding exactly where the break in the feather is so I will help the best I can with the understanding I have of the situation. Burt has broken many feathers and I only ever remove the broken part that is flapping about where it should not be (only if it is annoying him or getting caught on things) and I leave the shaft that is still in the skin to drop out as a normal molt. If the feather is not bothering your bird or getting caught on things then you can leave it. If there is no bleeding then there really is very little to be concerned about.

conureluv

I am having a hard time understanding exactly where the break in the feather is so I will help the best I can with the understanding I have of the situation. Burt has broken many feathers and I only ever remove the broken part that is flapping about where it should not be (only if it is annoying him or getting caught on things) and I leave the shaft that is still in the skin to drop out as a normal molt. If the feather is not bothering your bird or getting caught on things then you can leave it. If there is no bleeding then there really is very little to be concerned about.
The break is on the underside of the shaft in the photo. The feather is grey (maybe because of Vitamin A deficiency?? He has one on the same side but tucked under. It could be because it broke) and can fully twist around on the part of the shaft that is attached. Think of it like a tooth connected by a couple of the “strings” that hold it against the gums. We’ve all been there where the tooth holds on for forever by 2 “strings” and then finally lets go. That’s what it’s like.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So is the part of the feather shaft that’s broken in the skin or out of the skin along the actual feather? If not inside the skin then I’d just clip the broken bit off with clippers but I would not pull the rest of the shaft.

conureluv

So is the part of the feather shaft that’s broken in the skin or out of the skin along the actual feather? If not inside the skin then I’d just clip the broken bit off with clippers but I would not pull the rest of the shaft.
I believe it is stuck/in something. My mom (former veterinarian) says I might regret clipping it and to see if it falls out on its own.
I got some photos last night, they might help you see better.
7203543C-B7F2-4E76-AE1C-FDC5FD3E3B68.jpeg

Last edited:

elitys

Real Name
Elise
Green cheek feathers usually have grey undersides, don't worry about that. My Poppy had a small dangly feather like that for about a week a while back and I just let it fall off on its own. If the bird isn't excessively preening it/the area around it, I don't think you need to worry; it's probably not bothering them too much.

They're playful, hyperactive birds and sometimes an older feather breaks in all the activity. No big deal. :)

elitys

Real Name
Elise
Oh, and that feather isn't technically a "flight feather." I don't know if you've seen any more info on that yet, but the term flight feather refers to the longer feathers at the bottom of the wing, specifically the first five or so that are primarily responsible for flight. Here's a diagram on clipping to show you what they remove to disable the bird's flight abilities.

bird_wing-jpg.jpg
You'll easily be able to tell when your green cheek's true flight feathers come in because there will be little bright blue triangles at the bottom of their wings when the feathers start to poke out. It's very cute. Poppy's are in the process of growing out right now; you can see she has a few.

IMG_20201106_160913_883~2.jpg