• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Story!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope Riddle

Sprinting down the street
I hope I am posting this is right place, since I am talking about a Macaw I figured this is as good a place as any.
I wanted to share with everyone how we came to be owned by such an amazing creature as our stitch.
Cavin and I were married in 1997, we were young only 21 years old. On May 30th 2000, I miscarried what should have been our first child. We tried unsuccesfully for years to have a child. With every doctors visit I would spend days crying and mourning. And every year It would get to Cavin a little more. He would always reassure me "when the time is right". I was not so sure! So in 2004 I had an idea! I wanted a Macaw!! He laughed at me told me "you have never owned a bird before and you want a "big parrot"? I was adament I knew in my heart there was one that needed me. So we got online and searched. We read every article on Macaws we could find. Bought a couple of books. I know we looked at every web site imagineable. In January 2005 Cavin found a site ( I can't even remember which one) There was the sweetest picture of a Blue and Gold from a breeder in Fl. I could not believe the price. $750 for a 6mth old B&G. Cavin contacted the breeders via e-mail, then phone calls. They told him because Stitch was a hybrid they could not sell him for as much. They were past ready to get rid of him. To us we didn't know the diffrence. So we made plans to meet halfway on the Fl side of Montgomery AL. We met them at a rest stop on the interstate. It was cold, we went inside the little room where you pick up attraction guides and things of that nature. They took Stitch out of his carrier, and he said HELLO! They looked at looked at each other stunned, they said it was the first time he had ever spoke. We gladly took him home with us that day! It was love at first sight. I hate to think if we didn't get him, where would he be today!
Then in July 2005 I found out I was pregnant with our one and only little girl. We give Stitch credit, Cavin says "he took your mind off of a baby". So thanks to Stitch our lives are complete is so many ways! I love you Stitch.

Last edited:

Ashley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
That brought on tears Hope. So glad you found Stitch. He is beautiful. Thanks for sharing that with us. :hug8:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
What an absolutely GORGEOUS story! :swoon:

You say Stitch is a hybrid? He looks like a B&G to me! :huh::cool:

Hope Riddle

He is 3/4 blue and gold, the only way you can tell is by the white on his beak and also his gold feathers have an orange tint to them.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Wow, what a great story. Thanks for sharing!:hug8:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
He is 3/4 blue and gold, the only way you can tell is by the white on his beak and also his gold feathers have an orange tint to them.
Ooo! Neat! Any idea what the 1/3 is?? :)

southernbirds

Welcome to Avian Avenue and thanks for the heartwarming story. Find a nest and share good fun, info and bird conversation with us.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
What a great story. Thank you for sharing Hope. He is just beautiful and is a little angel dropped into your lap just when you needed it most.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it.

Hope Riddle

Thanks everyone!! Stitch has been such a blessing to us. God gave him to us when we needed him most. Its been a great four years. I have enjoyed reading all of your stories so much. I just wanted to share what a miracle he really is. Thanks for all of your support, even though I have had him for four years I am full of questions. I am glad I finally found a place where I can ask them without feeling stupid.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer

Yep I agree, the white on his beak could just be because of his young age :)

onthewingsofmacaws

Real Name
Patricia
What a wonderful story. You got very lucky with getting Stich he is a beautiful boy weather he's a HYbrid or not. Some people just don't know what they have. I also have a Hybrid Macaw she is a Harlequin and the love of my life I might add. I only paid 700. for her as well. I am so glad that I was there at the right time. She belong to a neighbour of mine and if I had not been home the day she came and offered her to me who knows where she would be right now. It sounds like God sent an Angel to you to help you in more ways than one. Now you have two beautiful Children only 1 has feathers. LOL Do you know what the 1/4 part of Stitch is

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
thank you for sharing your beautiful story

never worry about feeling stupid here, you're among family:heart:

Foster Parront

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dana
I love macaws and I think the hybrid are so beautiful. Our first foster was a B&G who has found a forever home, then we got Phoenix who is a miligold, she is so beautiful and we recently got another B&G. I just love macaws. We also have a lilac crowned amazon who decided I had to take him home, LOL. Thanks for sharing your story.

Hope Riddle

What a wonderful story. You got very lucky with getting Stich he is a beautiful boy weather he's a HYbrid or not. Some people just don't know what they have. I also have a Hybrid Macaw she is a Harlequin and the love of my life I might add. I only paid 700. for her as well. I am so glad that I was there at the right time. She belong to a neighbour of mine and if I had not been home the day she came and offered her to me who knows where she would be right now. It sounds like God sent an Angel to you to help you in more ways than one. Now you have two beautiful Children only 1 has feathers. LOL Do you know what the 1/4 part of Stitch is
Ooo! Neat! Any idea what the 1/3 is?? :)

Stitch's Mother was a B&G His Daddy was a Catalina. So I think I said that wrong. That would make him 3/4 B&G and 1/4 Scarlett??? Some one may have to correct me on the math!! LOL

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.