• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our first THIRD bird

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
Oh my goodness! I've been literally debating picking up a barraband from a store near me that currently has one! Yours looks so lovely!
She’s so cute and already stepping up with a little encouragement. I will say she is by far the most active flyer of the group and really enjoys flying around the house. Also her face is getting more yellow every day so maybe it’s a he…who knows.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
So much room!! :swoon:

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
Two weeks in and Puk is doing great. He/she is much less interested in us than the other birds were which I assume is just a case of so many new things happening. She loves being out of her cage flying all over the place. But what she is most excited about is her new siblings! The 3 have been out playing together, eating, etc. and they are doing great. There’s an occasional reminder about personal boundaries given, but nothing I would even call aggression. So far favorite activities are: bathing, playing with every toy she , snacking, and following the other birds around. Our only real issue so far is the impressive stubbornness about returning to the cage for bedtime, but again lots of new things and routines, so I’m sure this will get better. IMG_3656.jpeg IMG_3647.jpeg IMG_3619.jpeg IMG_3593.jpeg IMG_3598.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Two weeks in and Puk is doing great. He/she is much less interested in us than the other birds were which I assume is just a case of so many new things happening. She loves being out of her cage flying all over the place. But what she is most excited about is her new siblings! The 3 have been out playing together, eating, etc. and they are doing great. There’s an occasional reminder about personal boundaries given, but nothing I would even call aggression. So far favorite activities are: bathing, playing with every toy she , snacking, and following the other birds around. Our only real issue so far is the impressive stubbornness about returning to the cage for bedtime, but again lots of new things and routines, so I’m sure this will get better. View attachment 440733 View attachment 440734 View attachment 440735 View attachment 440736 View attachment 440737
She's such a cutie. So glad she's settling in well.

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
Week three! Everyone is still doing great together. Puk is by far our busiest bird, constantly playing with toys, flying from cage to cage, and hanging upside down from everything possible. The other two are a little taken aback by all the activity, but seem content with watching. Overall, I feel like the dynamic is really good and there has been less screaming on Hobs’ part. Puk’s cage even got some new fun branches on top for climbing about…though he still prefers the branches on top of the other’s cages. IMG_3761.jpeg IMG_3643.jpeg IMG_3750.jpeg

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Two weeks in and Puk is doing great. He/she is much less interested in us than the other birds were which I assume is just a case of so many new things happening. She loves being out of her cage flying all over the place. But what she is most excited about is her new siblings! The 3 have been out playing together, eating, etc. and they are doing great. There’s an occasional reminder about personal boundaries given, but nothing I would even call aggression. So far favorite activities are: bathing, playing with every toy she , snacking, and following the other birds around. Our only real issue so far is the impressive stubbornness about returning to the cage for bedtime, but again lots of new things and routines, so I’m sure this will get better. View attachment 440733 View attachment 440734 View attachment 440735 View attachment 440736 View attachment 440737
@orphansparrow

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
We are officially a month in and I believe Puk might be a boy. Over the last few days there are suddenly lots of little yellow pin feathers popping up around Puk’s face. We know Puk just turned a year old, does anyone know if this is when they start to look different? Let me know what you all think! IMG_3844.jpeg IMG_3842.jpeg IMG_3843.jpeg

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
Well I think it is officially safe to say Puk is a male. His face is more yellow every day and from what I can find on the internet the females really have none. He is still very uninterested in being handled in anyway…but likes to hang out in close proximity. That said he very much enjoys being out playing with the other two, and has even figured out the routine of putting himself to bed at night in his cage. So I guess we will work slowly towards being handled. His newest found talents are yelling “pretty bird” any time he wants to get out and play and getting everyone’s attention by wolf whistling at us and the other birds. IMG_3891.jpeg IMG_4131.jpeg

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
We are coming into our fourth month as a flock of 3! We have decided that Puk is definitely a boy as his face is pretty much all yellow now. But surprise! Turns out there is still a girl in the flock as Bo shocked everyone by leaving and egg at the bottom of their cage. I kind of wonder who was more shocked us or Bo.
In other news my office has officially tipped the scales from being an office with birds to a bird room with some computer monitors. They are having so much fun playing out in the room together we have added lots more things to do. Most notably a 6 foot tall tree has taken over the window alcove. Puk has spent lots of time upside down and Bo enjoys sitting in the window snoozing. 89430695-0E06-46CD-BA33-51421B302D10.jpeg IMG_4354.jpeg IMG_4396.jpeg IMG_4311.jpeg IMG_4278.jpeg

AW2023

Strolling the yard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Annie
We are coming into our fourth month as a flock of 3! We have decided that Puk is definitely a boy as his face is pretty much all yellow now. But surprise! Turns out there is still a girl in the flock as Bo shocked everyone by leaving and egg at the bottom of their cage. I kind of wonder who was more shocked us or Bo.
In other news my office has officially tipped the scales from being an office with birds to a bird room with some computer monitors. They are having so much fun playing out in the room together we have added lots more things to do. Most notably a 6 foot tall tree has taken over the window alcove. Puk has spent lots of time upside down and Bo enjoys sitting in the window snoozing.
Love the new photos! It looks like everyone is getting along great!
Did you put the bird tree together yourself, or buy it with the stand? It's really nice and the base is super clever.

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
Love the new photos! It looks like everyone is getting along great!
Did you put the bird tree together yourself, or buy it with the stand? It's really nice and the base is super clever.
I looked up parrot safe trees in my area and walked around my backyard until I found the right one. It took some googling but eventually I was sure I had a good tree. I just cut it down and stuck it in a Christmas tree stand. They love it!