• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our first red siskins!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Why're they removed, Lady Jane?

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I only have a pic of dad currently available :) will make some more later this week :)

In regards to the rings. I’m located in the Netherlands, and a lot of small birds are on the list of birds that need to have a ring. While Red Siskins are not on that list, its considered descent practice to ring your babies. Not in the least so you can keep track of which bird came from which parents :)

I have never heard of smaller birds getting caught behind things (in this mean, i know it happens, but i dont know anyone personally), why would this be any different then for larger birds? :)

Attachments

Gigibirds

Oooh congratulations on your first babies!!

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are rings on tiny birds necessary? Many of them eventually are removed anyway.
Often places have laws requiring bands. I live where bands are required. And yes, we often shake our heads, too, at the laws, but in the end you have to either have it closed banded or a clamped band (which is worse in regards to bird safety) with specific info engraved.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
so, the weather is finally good enough to move the whole family into the outdoor avariary until the young are eating all by themselves. Mom is feeding the young, dad is singing his lungs out again. The Red Vented Bulbul’s are curious but a little scared.. these little siskin’s are not to mess with hehehe

also put some green in the aviary, with the canary’s gone it will be a nice little greenery!

Attachments

Last edited:

Gigibirds

Oh, they are just gorgeous! Yes, I love adding a plants to aviaries because it brightens it up so much and completely changes the feel of it!