• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Comfort Versus theirs.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pga7602

Jogging around the block
I am scared this topic will get out of hand like when we discuss flighted versus clipped.

About 3 weeks ago, I took coral to the Vet to get her nails clipped. What i've been noticing the pass few weeks is that no matter how much time i give her to get use to having unsharpen nails, she will never be the same as when she had sharp nails. The biggest difference is that when they were sharp, she would be most incline to hang upside down on her perch, or climb up and down her play rope. Now she just sits there...

I know most of us take our fids to get nails clipped because they are simply too long and can cause injuries to them. But where do we draw the line? When their nails are sharp, it's hard to hold them properly, but when they are cut, they're no longer the same.

Discuss!

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
hmm.. I like to keep them clipped because i find when Cookie's are sharp she gets stuck.. like, she'll be hanging on my shirt, and try to fly off, but her nails will get stuck in the fabric and she'll be stuck, and then she freaks out..

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
We always keep our nails trimmed on our birds ~ we try to keep everyone trimmed regularly. The only time I've ever noticed any birds having difficulty adjusting to a trim is either if (1) the nails were severely overgrown and the bird has deformed toes are is not used to the rebalance issue of short nails, or (2) if the bird is young.

In time, I think your bird will get used to the trim(s) and be fine.

We do have difficulty holding the birds when their nails are sharp, but the real reason for the trim is to keep them from hanging up or getting tangled in something (like a toy) when we are not home to watch them.

I've always felt it's more of a safety issue all the way around.

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
I know it's time for a trim when Peanut's nail start going through my shirt, as that means that he could get himself caught, which could be very bad.

trout

Real Name
Bobby
as mentioned safety is more of an issue than comfort, Keahi is trimmed and he hangs upside down fine, she'll eventually learn, if not it's better than getting hurt.

di_dee1

Real Name
Di
I have never clipped nails, I find the perches keep them in shape and I wear a bird shirt when they are on me to prevent claws scratching. I guess it comes down to need or preferences.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I've never taken my birds any where to have thier nails trimmed, I used Pedi Perches and Swings

I have gotten birds with their nails way to long - I'm talking curling under not sharp

so i just give each nail little snips with a pair of small nail clippers(the kind you use on babies) and when they can perch on my finger with out a nail curling then that's when I know they're the right length and the perches/swings will keep them filed

but none of mine other then the baby tiels have been sharp enough to hurt me - the baby tiels are only sharp for maybe 2-3 weeks it seems they grow into them or it just doesn't put red marks up and down my arms any more - but I think its more of the 1st option

but you could always just use a nail file and just "blunt" the tip so they still have their same length(if it isn't too long) just not all the sharpness

but I have always thought they were supposed to be some what sharp to help grip on to things, and for the ones who use their foot to eat with to help them hold it to eat :confused:

MorningGloria

Real Name
Celeste
I have never clipped nails, I find the perches keep them in shape and I wear a bird shirt when they are on me to prevent claws scratching. I guess it comes down to need or preferences.
I'm the same. I've only clipped his nails once when I threw away the cement perch and went a while before I replaced it. The cement perch keeps his nails at a good length. Long and sharp enough that he can get around, but short and dull enough that he (or I) doesn't get hurt.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use pedi-perches. I have had no problems with this, but I do watch their feet like a hawk to make sure all is well. I have heard of pedi-perches causing excessive wear on the footpads.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I use pedi-perches. I have had no problems with this, but I do watch their feet like a hawk to make sure all is well. I have heard of pedi-perches causing excessive wear on the footpads.

that's what I use been almost 3 years and so far nothing Even the swings they use have the same material

but they're not on them 24/7 - so that may make a difference too

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I really don't think this is a "our comfort" vs "their comfort" type discussion. You have to remember that in the wild, these birds are constantly foraging on the ground, on rock, in trees on hard branches, and on all other kinds of surfaces that would naturally wear their nails down. When kept as a pet, they get to stand on smooth wooden perches, vet wrapped plastic, carpet, hard wood floors, climb smooth cage bars, comfort perches, our fingers and shoulders, etc... these surfaces do nothing to wear a birds nails down. So for their own health and safety, we must step in and give them lava rocks and pedi-perches to stand on and when that doesn't do the trick, clip their nails either at home or at the vet.

I wonder if your bird is reacting more so to the vet visit than to the fact that her nails have been trimmed...

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
that's what I use been almost 3 years and so far nothing Even the swings they use have the same material

but they're not on them 24/7 - so that may make a difference too
Yeah, I think the key is having a good blend of perches. I experimented with Elvis's before I found the right balance, and I'm always ready to yank one if need be.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's rare that a large parrot like TOOs or macaws can keep those huge nails trimmed on their own.

Something that happens around here. Vet appointments are always a bit stressful. The TOOs know where they are going as soon as we get within a block of the office. They get a pretty good workout with all the toweling for the beak and nail trimming. For the next 3 or 4 days after the visit they are very quiet, subdued and are good as gold. They must get pretty sore muscles from the struggling. Almost like a "hangover" you could say. :)

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
That is true we even have one of the Pumic ones, where the part their feet would sit on is smooth but where their nails go has the rough parts to file the nails - we need to get some more of those but all we ever find them in is the Cockatoo size - which is who we got it for to start with but for now Billy the Quaker is using it when he's not scared it'll bite him LOL

Tanya -- Awesome points! :yourock:

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
The concrete perches don't do much for Hootie's, M2, nails. They grow pretty quickly and it becomes very painful to hold him. His feet are so strong that when he grips he literally punches holes through my skin with his nails. They are not overlong...just sharp and powerful. Baby's, G2, are the same way. If I didn't get them trimmed, I would probably not hold them very often and that would be a very bad thing for them.

My other birds, except the Dove, do really well with the pedi-perches. Their nails are kept to a reasonable length and sharpness.

I haven't seen any changes in behavior or more falling after nail trims.

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
I have taken Indy to have his nails clipped once but the vet, as when I tried I drew blood, he has got various filing perches and sandpaper covers, but it doesnt seem to do much.
I did try to file the tips off with a nail file, which was a two-file-job, it wasnt very sucessfull as he would have one in his beak to play with and end up filing that, but the one I used on his feet would get the life gripped out of it so I couldnt do anything with it.
Also he sleeps on a bed, which means hes not in contact with a perch all night either.

pga7602

Jogging around the block
I'm getting coral use to my nail file so we won't have to keep doing this. I think you guys are right, she's probably just adjusting to them.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I am a huge advocate of making sure your birds nails stay trimmed, either by doing it yourself, having a vet do it, or using the pediperches.

Last December we went away on vacation for Christmas and I had procrastinated about getting Harley's nails trimmed as we were so busy with getting packed, shopping done, etc. They weren't "that bad" so I decided that it could wait until we got back and I would make a vet appointment. When we got home I decided that it could wait until Monday, and we started unpacking, etc. around the house. (This was on Thursday). Friday evening I came home to Harley with a claw stuck in a chain link toy, his nail was just curled enough to where he could not pull it out on his own. I was able to get him unhung without being bitten and he could not move his foot or put any weight on that leg.

One three hour drive later (and $150 lighter) we were at UT Vet hospital in Knoxville where I was relieved to find that Harley only had a sprained leg, and no breaks. He was confined to a hospital cage for about a week, and I had to give him pain meds. (Of course this happened on a Friday evening and there are no emergency vets in Nashville that treat exotics, hence the long drive.)

I felt horrible about the situation, and vowed it would never happen again. At the time I had only been a member here for about a month, so I never made mention of it, as I knew it was my own fault for not trimming his nails. My vet said that he thought that it would have happened anyway as it was a freak accident, but I just knew that without his nails being overgrown he would have never got stuck.

It was a very painful lesson learned, and one that could have had a much worse ending than what it did. I still remember holding him in my arms sobbing while I called every vet I could get a number for in order to find someone who could see him on a Friday night.

So please, please, please watch your birdies nails and trim them if needed! :hug8:

Birdzee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Maddie
I trim Newbie's nail myself and he is a bit slow to get around for a few days after but I find it doesn't take long for them to grow back til he is happy with them..
I have a feeling this thread is going to turn into a wing clipping one next!!!..
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.