• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Birds & "All Natural" Foraging Toy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Here are a couple videos showing some of our birds playing with a Mahogany Nut that we harvested from a local tree. We have found that our birds spend an extended period of time working to open the nut as inside there is a core to which a gazillion whisper-thin seed sheaths are attached. The birds enjoy figuring out how to open the petal-shaped hard outer shell and pulling out all the seed sheaths. They will then shred the seed sheaths. Once they have finished with the sheaths and chewed up the inner core, they then turn their attention to chewing up the hard outer shell pieces.

The first video shows two of our BFAs named Romeo & Sister working to open a nut. Unfortunately, the camera seems to be a magnet for others in the flight to get in the way of my shooting field and I ultimately just had to stop shooting. Efforts to move them away were futile.

This next video shows briefly a WBC who has successfully opened the nut and is now pulling out the seed sheaths inside. Again, my efforts to further film were defeated by nosy Caiques who persisted in getting in the way. :(

Btw, there is not really any "nut" inside. Just the seed sheaths, but I have been very pleased with how much our birds -- from medium to large -- enjoy playing with what I think is one of Mother Nature's own foraging toys!

mariec

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marie
They looked to be having all sorts of fun! How cute.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Kelly, what great video's as always! Wow, those things are HUGE! How much fun to have so many of natures gifts for your birds to play with and to forage. Thanks so much for sharing.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I love your videos!!! :dance4:

birdstuff

Real Name
Claudia
Those are great videos! I love how the zons seem to be working together to get the job done, too cute & what fun!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Wow, those things are HUGE!! I have never seen such a thing! I doubt a tiny IRN could work away at that, could it?

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Fabulous!
I bet large macaws woud love these.
Will this nut variety be offered for sale when your new web site is ready?

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I love these videos Kelly:) I wanted to get some palm nuts, when is your next date to send them out?:)

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
I love these videos Kelly:) I wanted to get some palm nuts, when is your next date to send them out?:)
I don't know if you will see this in time, but I am shipping out palm nuts tomorrow. I have a few extra pounds on hand so if anyone would like to order some, you'll need to hurry! :)

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Fabulous!
I bet large macaws woud love these.
Will this nut variety be offered for sale when your new web site is ready?
The Mahogany Nuts are out of season right now but I am definitely planning on including them for sale next season. We never offered any for sale before so this would be a new item for us. We went through scadsof them here with our flock. Every single part of the nut was played with and chewed up by our birds. Amazing all the things that Mother Nature provides as forms of enrichment for our birds, isn't it?

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Amazing all the things that Mother Nature provides as forms of enrichment for our birds, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Yes it sure is! And great fun to see them relish new & natural foods.

Very excited to see your web site when it's up and running. And pleased you'll offer the Mahogany when seasonally available. Thank you.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They look fun!

Matt

jaimeltx

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jaime
I have a question: I see these nuts in the palm trees all over the universities in the Silicon Valley, CA. Any idea if they would be safe or would you steer clear of them? Just wanted to get thoughts.

Either way I'd love to order next time (sure beats scaling a tree)!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Loved the videos.

mtngirl

I will have to try some of these with Rico when they come in season. Please keep us posted. :0)

Status
Not open for further replies.