• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ordering my new cage on Friday! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
I am so excited! I am getting this : 32"x21" Double Stack Flight Cage - A&E Cage Co. by A&E Cage Company

Abby and El will have the top and Miss Noodle the bottom. I already ordered new bowls and a few new toys to help decorate it from Dr. Fosters and Smith and I am just so incredibly excited.:dancing:

This will give them a little more room than what they have now and I will be able to decorate with toys so much easier than I can with the cages they have now with the stupid way they made the bars on the dome top. :dance5:

I originally wanted to do this upgrade for Valentines but I had a few small setbacks but things seem to be working out better now.:dance4:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Congratulations! Hope you will be really pleased with your new cage and also of course your birds. Always fun the first time to set one up isn't it? Good luck.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
You're so lucky to be able to get them sort of cages! your fids will love it and it'll be fun setting it up. Hope to see photos once it's all done up. :dancing:

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Thanks! It is awesome to set up a new cage, this is the third one I have gotten for Noodle the first one was horrible with little sliding doors that always tried to slide down on her when I was taking her out of her cage, the ones I have now are not bad with nice large doors but they are coated and the coating is wearing from scrubbing in some spots so I want to replace them. I might just wrap the worn spots with vet tape and use them as outdoor cages so that we can all sit on the porch in the sun when the warmer weather comes as they are fairly easy to move, either that or try out aviator harnessess.

I will post pictures when it arrives with the new setup and I really can't wait! I am so excited, this is better than Christmas to me. <3

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I can't wait to see the pictures when you've got it set up!

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Don't in any way mean to be a damper on your excitement but (for the bird's sake) are you sure you want to get a double stack cage. I personally am not a fan of double stacks or triple stacks etc. for the following reasons:

Dust/dander, liquids, runny poo, etc. seem to have a way of finding their way down into the bottom cage or onto the wires of the bottom cage - much more so anyway than if the cages were side by side (with a divider) or totally separate. Also when the bottom resident is constantly aware of movement above him/her, that movement IMO & IME causes it some degree of stress, even once it realizes what is above. Also if you intend to use F.S. Lighting (& everyone definitely should IMO if their bird(s) do not have access to daily outdoor sunshine), it is best if it comes from above, not from the side. Yet another reason is birds do not like being low, seen by them usually looking for the highest spot to perch.

Any chance of you reconsidering the type of cage you are going to get?

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Ah! I am so glad you said something because I'm getting one exactly the same as Artagiels. BUT after reading your post, I'm not going to have them 'stacked' and am going to put them on a desk and keep them side-by-side.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
o_O I just ordered it.

I did take into consideration the logistics of dander and runny poos, that was why I was going to have Noodle on the bottom. I was looking at the side by sides but Noodle likes to taunt the tiels too much and I was worried about nipped toes especially if Abby has any eggs present and they get into piranha mode.

I did put a lot of thought into this and now I wish I had put more into it but I am hopeful that they will enjoy the new cage. If they hate it I can always look for something else but it is too late now to do anything. I vac the tiel cage all the time so I would like to think the dander issue will be mostly controlled plus Noodle has a shower curtain that hangs on three sides of her cage to keep her mess from the walls and carpet so that should also deflect some of the dander issue.

Noodle is fearless and feisty, she has not seemed bothered by the tiels being above her when they perch on her cage or on the playstand only curious and occasionally bratty. I think the tiels would be traumatized by having her above them but I am pretty confident that she will at the most be annoyed at waiting to climb into their cage and pester them until the doors are open.

I don't use FS lighting but if I do use it I can always set it up for their out of cage time as they are only locked up when it is bedtime and then that would be silly to have it on then. They will be getting their sunshine the old fashioned way until then, from the sun.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Congrats! That is a nice cage.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
o_O I just ordered it.

I did take into consideration the logistics of dander and runny poos, that was why I was going to have Noodle on the bottom. I was looking at the side by sides but Noodle likes to taunt the tiels too much and I was worried about nipped toes especially if Abby has any eggs present and they get into piranha mode.

I did put a lot of thought into this and now I wish I had put more into it but I am hopeful that they will enjoy the new cage. If they hate it I can always look for something else but it is too late now to do anything. I vac the tiel cage all the time so I would like to think the dander issue will be mostly controlled plus Noodle has a shower curtain that hangs on three sides of her cage to keep her mess from the walls and carpet so that should also deflect some of the dander issue.

Noodle is fearless and feisty, she has not seemed bothered by the tiels being above her when they perch on her cage or on the playstand only curious and occasionally bratty. I think the tiels would be traumatized by having her above them but I am pretty confident that she will at the most be annoyed at waiting to climb into their cage and pester them until the doors are open.

I don't use FS lighting but if I do use it I can always set it up for their out of cage time as they are only locked up when it is bedtime and then that would be silly to have it on then. They will be getting their sunshine the old fashioned way until then, from the sun.
I think the cage will work great. I would get some sort of light so the bottom cage isn't too dark, and I wouldn't really worry about Noodle getting pooped on, the tray will keep most of it in the top cage.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
My bedroom is very bright during the day but if the bottom cage does seem dark I will do that :).

I have so many windows I find it hard to sleep most of the time.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Cage arrived yesterday and I got it all together with a small mistake at the base that was easily fixed. Took some pictures of it with everyone in it and will post them later when I have a few minutes to upload :).

Noodle loves it so far, the tiels are adjusting and like perching on the top. I am going to be keeping an eye on how much light reaches Noodle at the bottom and I need to order longer perches now and more of them, so much space in these compared to the older cages, I didn't realize how much a few inches bigger would give to these little fids!

I really like this cage and feel it was the right thing for my fids and me. I know some people don't agree but I don't set out to do anything harmful to my birds and we all have our own way of doing things.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I look forward to seeing the pictures too! And I, for one, don't have any problem with stacking cages so long as people make an effort to make sure everyone gets enough light. It's much better than tiny cages IMO. Maybe because I have limited floorspace too, :lol:

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley

I realized all the bird toys I have for Noodle are small, I can get much bigger ones now with the extra space, longer rope perches too! This weekend we will likely be looking into that :)

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
AWWW!!! That's the cage I have for the parakeets and tiels! I LOVE IT!!! Ours is set up next to a window to ensure enough light. We definitely don't have a problem.
It looks great all set up!

Status
Not open for further replies.