• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinions About Covering/Uncovering Birds at Bedtime (to help with hormones)

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Hi everyone! I hope this is the right place to post this. I've come wanting to ask everyone's thoughts on to cover or not to cover cages at bedtime for sleeping. Long story short, for the whole time I've had my two birds they were covered at bedtime. When we first got birds we didn't know much but learned overtime and have made as many healthy changes as possible. The one thing that hasn't changed is that they both get covered at bedtime. My female Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure (Claire) has gotten real hormonal over the past two years. Sadly with the hormones has come tons of aggression. We have been working on the aggression with things like training, moving toys, diet, etc. So far it's gotten a little better but it's still not to the point where she doesn't want to kill us. I've been suggested a few times to not cover them at bedtime. They explained it as I'm basically giving her a "nest" at bedtime and then destroying it in the morning. Both wouldn't help the aggression and if I just put them to bed without the cover that it would help. Now while this makes sense in my head, I'm still a little hesitant to try it.

1. I'm sure it would have a big chance of helping but I wanted to see of others who have never covered birds at bedtime or of others who have switched and how it made a difference.
2. I'm really worried of ruining their sleep when I remove the covers out of the routine.
3. I have no clue how to go about it. is it a cold turkey sort of thing?

I guess my biggest concern is making things worse for them (mainly with no benefits). So if anyone has any thoughts, opinions or anything at all, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Jardine's isn't covered at night, I don't know if he ever was. But he's pretty hormonal regardless.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I've wondered if covering my cockatiel at night could be a possible hormone trigger. But I have to cover him, see at night I sneak in there to bed, and if he was uncovered I think it would spook him badly. Not to mention I'm sure it keeps him asleep longer.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My birds all go in their own small sleep cage at night in a very dark closet. A few years ago one of them started thinking of it as a nest. I happened to have an extra flight cage, so now she sleeps in that with no issues. It is covered, big, almost empty, and in a dark room. I think some birds might think of a some covered cages as a nest, so if you can make it less hospitable and cozy, that might help. I think when she did start thinking of her sleep cage as a nest, the closet wasn’t quite dark enough, but now it’s almost pitch black so I could try it again. Also, I think the initial behavior had more to do with her day cage than her sleep cage. I read once that some cockatiels just get nesty even if they can just see a nest site, and this was the case with my bird. There was a little dark cubby hole by her regular cage, and she fixated on it. Btw, my birds never have night frights in their dark, cozy sleep space.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I don’t cover my macaw but I do usually quarter cover my budgie cage. I only cover the budgie because of where his cage is, it’s an open plan home and he happens to be in the most used part of the house. I just cover a section of the cage so he can go to sleep before the late night humans turn all the lights out if he wants to.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
My parrotletts and bourkes are covered at night. I was told Howard was never covered and Koko wasn't. Billy likes to be half covered so he can see Howard at night. Their houses are next to each other.

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I've wondered if covering my cockatiel at night could be a possible hormone trigger. But I have to cover him, see at night I sneak in there to bed, and if he was uncovered I think it would spook him badly. Not to mention I'm sure it keeps him asleep longer.
It definitely makes sense how it could trigger some birds. My male Conure is completely fine but my female is a different story. I'm in a slightly similar spot. I do video editing and tend to work really late in the night. I too sneak into my room to go to sleep and they normally seem to make small noises (as if they wake up and hear me) but I was kind of worried I might scare them by heading to bed when they are uncovered. I don't think it would keep mine asleep longer, I have blackout blinds and we all get up at the same time lol. I can definitely see how for some it is a must.
My birds all go in their own small sleep cage at night in a very dark closet. A few years ago one of them started thinking of it as a nest. I happened to have an extra flight cage, so now she sleeps in that with no issues. It is covered, big, almost empty, and in a dark room. I think some birds might think of a some covered cages as a nest, so if you can make it less hospitable and cozy, that might help. I think when she did start thinking of her sleep cage as a nest, the closet wasn’t quite dark enough, but now it’s almost pitch black so I could try it again. Also, I think the initial behavior had more to do with her day cage than her sleep cage. I read once that some cockatiels just get nesty even if they can just see a nest site, and this was the case with my bird. There was a little dark cubby hole by her regular cage, and she fixated on it. Btw, my birds never have night frights in their dark, cozy sleep space.
I would ultimately love a day/night cage/ their own room but currently that is not an option (not enough rooms in the house lol but one day we will get there), but for now their cages are in my bedroom and I bring their cages/ let them out with me in different rooms in the house during the day. She definitely gets VERY nesty and over the two years she has been laying eggs we have been trying things to discourage her. I know there is no way to completely stop it (not without medical things) but we were trying to slow it down as she does get egg bound fairly easy. Add the sudden spike of aggression, it's not a fun time being around her. I've tried reading some things about cage covering but couldn't really find much sadly. My ultimate worry would be it being such a change that they would lose sleep, become scared, or overall make things worse. The house is quite for the most part in the night and their room is pitch black to sleep.
I don’t cover my macaw but I do usually quarter cover my budgie cage. I only cover the budgie because of where his cage is, it’s an open plan home and he happens to be in the most used part of the house. I just cover a section of the cage so he can go to sleep before the late night humans turn all the lights out if he wants to.
Yea, it seems to be pretty mixed with everyone. I don't think I have to worry about lights or too much noise (just the quick time it takes me to sneak into bed late at night) but it's more just the sudden change I'm worried about. I like the quarter cover idea though. I wonder if leaving the front open would be a good way to slowly introduce them to it. I have no clue if that would be better or worse then just not having the cover at all.
My parrotletts and bourkes are covered at night. I was told Howard was never covered and Koko wasn't. Billy likes to be half covered so he can see Howard at night. Their houses are next to each other.
That makes sense, mine are right beside each other too. Now, while Claire will always try to kill Mango (even though she is the smaller one lol) they do like being next to each other so I cover them together too. I just put the covers over both cages and nothing goes down the middle. Definitely think if I covered them completely to the point they can't see each other, that would be a problem!

Thanks again to everyone for the replies.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Once now and then I get grumped at by my Macaw for being too animated or noisy when I go to bed or I get into trouble for getting up too many times during the night but mostly he sees me sneak in or get up out of bed and he just goes back to sleep- I personally do not believe it is actually natural for them to have a totally un-interrupted sleep in a pitch black environment with no sound- I have spent more than one night out under the stars and I can promise it would be a very unusual thing for the wild birds to sleep with the conditions we tend to set for our pet birds. There are noises from other birds and animals, trees and man made things all night long, it is very rare that you can not see at night out in nature and there is always something moving and/or making noise.

I guess really the only thing you can do is try the partial cover or no cover and see how it goes.

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Once now and then I get grumped at by my Macaw for being too animated or noisy when I go to bed or I get into trouble for getting up too many times during the night but mostly he sees me sneak in or get up out of bed and he just goes back to sleep- I personally do not believe it is actually natural for them to have a totally un-interrupted sleep in a pitch black environment with no sound- I have spent more than one night out under the stars and I can promise it would be a very unusual thing for the wild birds to sleep with the conditions we tend to set for our pet birds. There are noises from other birds and animals, trees and man made things all night long, it is very rare that you can not see at night out in nature and there is always something moving and/or making noise.

I guess really the only thing you can do is try the partial cover or no cover and see how it goes.
My thoughts are very similar. I live on a farm and while it's fairly quite out here, there is the odd noise, other animals or it's a stormy night. It is never 100% quiet or pitch black (the stars do get really nice out here too, one of my favorite things about living out here). I think for me it's honestly my own anxiety. Long story short, I do deal with quite a bit of anxiety on a daily and as much as I try to not let it affect my choices with my pets but it sure does to some degree. It's probably me just thinking too much into it. I always just want to make sure they are the happiest and healthiest they can be! It is one of the reasons I love doing research and coming on here to gets everyone's thoughts. It helps me get a better idea that I'm doing the right things. I might just try the partial cover and if all goes well, removing the whole cover. I'm sure I'll get some grumpy noises while sneaking into my room though hahah. I don't think there is anyway around that!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I find if I do not approach or even acknowledge the cage and I do not directly look at Burt he hardly even bothers or moves and he just settles straight back down but if I try to figure out if I am disturbing him by getting a good look at him he may hiss, grump or shuffle about in annoyance. With Burt it seems to make him the most unsettled if he is looked directly at at night time, movements and noise will disturb him but not upset him even if I have to walk right past/beside his cage in the dark. The budgie (Squeak) is the same.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The only time Ripley seems disturbed during the night is if I'm eating a late night snack. He always feels the need to crawl off his sleeping spot and eat from his bowl :lol:

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
I find if I do not approach or even acknowledge the cage and I do not directly look at Burt he hardly even bothers or moves and he just settles straight back down but if I try to figure out if I am disturbing him by getting a good look at him he may hiss, grump or shuffle about in annoyance. With Burt it seems to make him the most unsettled if he is looked directly at at night time, movements and noise will disturb him but not upset him even if I have to walk right past/beside his cage in the dark. The budgie (Squeak) is the same.
Yea that would make sense. Currently when I head to bed I'll hear them (mainly Claire) move around, maybe make a grumpy noise but then they seem to go back to sleep. I would assume as long as I'm not too loud or loud for long they should be fine.

The only time Ripley seems disturbed during the night is if I'm eating a late night snack. He always feels the need to crawl off his sleeping spot and eat from his bowl :lol:
Oh that's cute! My only concern is with Claire. Her cage is right next to my bed and she like to sit at the bottom of her cage and just stare at me while I'm trying to sleep. It's a little intimidating. I would take the late night snack over having a stare down lol.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't cover mine at night, but I do use smart LED lights on timers. They go on and off at a specific time. The one in my office where the three pet birds are starts to dim at 9pm and takes 10 - 15 minutes to go fully dark. They use that time to settle for the night and by the time the light turns off they are ready to sleep. I work in my office past 9pm some nights but I don't play music or anything that would disturb them. I rarely cover them, but once in a while when there is a phone meeting that I participate in, I'll cover them up about 20 minutes before it starts. They settle down quickly and are usually quiet until it's over.

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
I don't cover mine at night, but I do use smart LED lights on timers. They go on and off at a specific time. The one in my office where the three pet birds are starts to dim at 9pm and takes 10 - 15 minutes to go fully dark. They use that time to settle for the night and by the time the light turns off they are ready to sleep. I work in my office past 9pm some nights but I don't play music or anything that would disturb them. I rarely cover them, but once in a while when there is a phone meeting that I participate in, I'll cover them up about 20 minutes before it starts. They settle down quickly and are usually quiet until it's over.
Thanks for the great idea! Sorry it took so long to reply, the holidays got busy over here! I never really thought about this but now I'm currently looking for the best one to suit me. I was kind of worried about the lights just suddenly being shut off without a "wind down" time. Thank you for the suggestion!