• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Open band question

Blanae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandy
So I just aquired a much older african grey. He has/had a nare issue and has a very large nare with a bump that has gone done since I got him. He came from a very heavy smoking home. He has a vet appt next Friday which is the soonest I can get him in. He won't really let me touch him but his breast bone in the front looks pretty protruding as well. He is a very small Congo grey. He is eating very well, talking up a storm, and gets around his cage very well. He doesn't seem to be in any distress. I am hoping he has at least a little time left if I get him back into good health but am assuming with an open band he was probably wild caught which makes him very old. Anyone have any info on open bands?

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Can you tell us the band number?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What does the band look like? Import bands are rounded and have 3 letters and 3 numbers. My goffin is wild caught. Below is a pic of his band. I hope your bird is okay. Thanks for helping him.

Elvis band.jpg

Blanae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandy
I will be able to get back to you guys on this after next week. He is not super touchable at this point. If I wrap him up he lets me pet his head but that's about it. He is an OLD MAN. LOL thats what I have been calling him. I paid for him as I could not let him stay in the situation he was in even though knowing he was old and Im hoping I have a little time with him and get him back into better shape. We got to the vet on Friday and hopefully we can tackle this together. I am thinking if he is wild caught he is very old and that worries me.

Blanae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandy
His nare was horrible and big and enflamed. It had a huge bump on it. He was in a houseful of smokers. I have had him 7 days and of course the hole is still there but the enflamed part is looking amazing.

Blanae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandy
Here it is last night. Still horrible looking but WAY better than it was 7 days ago.

Attachments

Blanae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandy
And he is so creaky? when he walks. He still gets around pretty good though. He can't really fly but can flutter down. I think he is very underweight because when he stretches I can see his little chest bone sticking out. He eats like a champ though.

Last edited:

Blanae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandy
I wish I could get better pics of his band. It’s definitely an open band though.

Attachments

Blanae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandy
His feathers are pretty ragged but do look better after a bath. He is very vocal and doesn’t seem tj have issues breathing.

Attachments