• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opal Inside Cage Issues!

Ameer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amir
Hi guys,
My problem is that Opal just does not want to stay in his cage! i am attaching a cage pic here..he has alot of toys but for some reason when he sees me he just gets frantic and wants to come out..
after i push the door open he just jumps on my shoulder and stays there..
I dont know what kind of behaviour is this and what it may lead to in future coz sometimes i just want him to stay in cage so i can spend some time with my kids as well! :)
i give him alot time though but sometimes i would like him to play in the cage as well..but that is not the case..the other day i had to put him in another room as i had to entertain some guests and i just could not see him like this..his desperateness to come out of cage makes me a bit sad too..

any advise on this guys?

ameer.
20141017_160445.jpg

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Birds are social flock animals. It is not natural for them to spend hours locked away, so if they see their person (flock) is around, they want to be with them.

Could you get him a bigger cage, so he has more room to fly about in there? And maybe some foraging and chewing toys to keep him distracted and busy.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Also suggest a buddy for him to live with.

Abigail

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I agree, a bigger cage would be good! You can't go wrong with a flight cage. Both A&E and HQ make great ones. You can also find similar knock-offs, but they all range between $100 and $150, which I think is a good deal for the space you get. You should check Craigslist for used ones, can be cheaper, make sure to scrub it well if you do get a used! A E Flight Cage and Stand Perfect for Cockatiels Parakeets All Small Birds | eBay

Another cage I suggest is this. It is MUCH bigger than it looks, trust me. People are always surprised by how big it is compared to pictures. It's smaller than a flight, but there is still plenty of space and it's a tad bit cheaper. http://www.hayneedle.com/product/vi...ource=channel_intelligence_shopping_hayneedle