• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OOPS! I have a new fid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
My SO found a baby pigeon and he is attached. There was a baby owl at his father's work, and it got ran over soon after being noticed, so with that thought lingering, we decided to give him a home. He fell from his nest HIGH in a palm tree, no way to get him back in it. He found it at work, and this is downtown Phoenix, so not exactly a "just let him be" type place. He was hiding under someone's car tire. He is of the age to start eating on his own soon, so I have a feeling he will be ok. I gave him a bit of formula, and he wasn't very happy, but he ate. We have him in qt in our spare bathroom that can't vent to the rest of the house.

So, meet Pen. :) He works at an office supply store, so the name seems fitting.

IMG_20110717_221616.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Pen is a cutie, Good luck.

Sunnyside

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janice
That is so nice :) Your SO sounds wonderful! I think Pigeons make good pets? I know I read about them all the time lost on CL but it seems people let them free fly? I don't know, I have always been curious about pigeons and their intelligence. I can't wait to watch Pen grow.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
He is nice to be saving it, the attitude in this town is "flying rats". He came to me saying well they don't make a lot of loud noise and they have to be intelligent if there's homing pigeons. :) our theory is that its one less wild breeder, so technically we are helping control the feral population. :D

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
They refer to them as flying rats here also :( When I worked in the City, I would buy pigeon food and feed them, that is what started my interest in them. They are incredibly smart!!! They all knew who I was when I would walk down the alley to my office, they would fly along side of me :o:. I caught alot of flack for feeding them because everyone in the city thought they should be killed :( I think you are going to have a really good experience with Pen (love the name). These guys are so smart that they would fly around outside my office and they would find the room I would be working in and they would perch on the window sill and watch me clean teeth all day! They are extremely smart, imo. I am excited to watch Pen grow with you! :hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Awww I hope Pen makes it. He's lucky your SO found him! Keep us updated!

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I have a feeling we just opened a random and interesting chapter in our lives. I do wish people respected wild animals a little more. Its not their fault.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Annaleza I agree with you on that one.

It really irritates me when I see someone deliberately try to run over animals. The worst are geese and squirrels, they don't understand that there is a big red bullseye painted on them that says come on big human run me down for your enjoyment. Don't get me wrong I know accidents happen, but more often as not that isn't the case.

You can pretty much tell that these are the people that could hurt their own species and not bat an eye over it. I think that is why I pretty much keep to myself except when I visit AA, I think we all have the same feelings when it comes to the wildlife around us.

We are encrouching on their territory. So they are being forced to show themselves more and more, and the viscious cycle continues.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
We had a wild pigeon for years who came to us as a baby and imprinted on my father. My father named him Henri. He lived in my old bedroom at night and my dad would shoo him out the door during the day. That bird knew the sound of my dad's car and when he'd come home for lunch or after work, you could see Henri cruising down the block looking for daddy where he would land on his shoulder or his head. Eventually, we found a female in the yard with a broken wing and took her to the vet. While recouperating, she bonded with Henri and they would fly outside during the day and almost always return at night...then they started mating and we had babies, lots of babies!

Yeah, pigeons are cool, especially if you can instill the wild in them but still have them want to be with you!:)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ive had many pidgies come and go in my life, they are actually very intelligent and sweet birds. If you decide to keep, congrats! He is cute, good luck. Let us know how he fares.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Patty I couldn't agree more. :hug8: thanks for all the support guys! Man, I told my parents, and they basically shook their heads and told me how dumb of an idea it was. :rolleyes: Anyways, he has a broken toe upon better inspection today. It will heal on its own, just a little crooked. Probably from his fall. I got him to eat some sweet potato baby food mixed with some formula. He wasn't happy but he ate. He is old enough to eat on his own but will not try. And then I gave him a bath, so now he's wet, cold and mad! :( :lol:

Last edited:

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Good for him and for you :hug8:People treat them like vermin here too. We moved in, built the city, and gave them no choice. Where do people get off? :mad:

There is a pet store here we go to get the dog kibble we feed our dogs and I buy the BIG bag of pigeon feed every time and sprinkle it around the back of the parking lot where the pigeons all roost. Hundreds off them come in for meal. My kids LOVE doing this. People get mad and yell at me and stuff, but I ignore them or tell them to shove it you know where.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Good for him and for you :hug8:People treat them like vermin here too. We moved in, built the city, and gave them no choice. Where do people get off? :mad:There is a pet store here we go to get the dog kibble we feed our dogs and I buy the BIG bag of pigeon feed every time and sprinkle it around the back of the parking lot where the pigeons all roost. Hundreds off them come in for meal. My kids LOVE doing this. People get mad and yell at me and stuff, but I ignore them or tell them to shove it you know where.
You are awesome. :D I am going to be that crazy old woman in the park with hundreds of birds around me. :hehe:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
What a cute little puffball! I love pigeons. Kudos to your SO for taking the little guy in! :hug8:

I don't think pigeons are any less deserving of respect and consideration than any other creature. They're smart little things and so resilient... There used to be this crippled pigeon at 30th Street Station in Philly.. he hopped around with all the others, despite having a crippled leg, pecking at crumbs on the floor in the station. I love the way their heads bob when they walk. :D

Chevelle

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
Awww he's so cute, so glad he's doing good :heart:. Can't wait for some more photos.

These guys are so smart that they would fly around outside my office and they would find the room I would be working in and they would perch on the window sill and watch me clean teeth all day! They are extremely smart, imo. I am excited to watch Pen grow with you! :hug8:
I'm picturing Finding Nemo here..with the pelican in the dentist's office :lol:.

cdsal_99

Meeting neighbors
Hello Annaleza, I come a little late to this thread, but nonetheless very glad that Pen has got you in his life.

Wishing him and you all the best.

It's also awesome to see so many positive and supportive responses on this forum to pigeons. :yourock:

Sal

TuathaSidhe

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Johanna
AWW, hes cute. I wont lie, they arent one of my fav. birds lol. But I in no way think they should ever be treated cruelly. Glad you were able to help the poor little thing out!

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Thanks Sal. :hug8: Johanna I agree, the world needs more pigeon love!! :heart:

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
That is so great to save a pigeon. People don't understand why I like pigeons but to me they are so cute and when they get so fat it's even cuter! I hate when I am at the beach and the evil seagulls attack the poor pigeons. One time I was at my friends old house (this was many years ago) and they had a pigeon problem and poop all on their porch so her dad said he was going to put out rice for them....I was like :eek: I hate when people talk like that. It's so cruel. Birds can't help where humans make their homes. We've invaded their territories and we have to live peacefully among them. That's how I see it anyways. I see it that way with any wild animal. Good luck with your pigeon!! Thank you for saving him! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.