• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Online stores that do not accept returns <period>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't accept returns either for the already mentioned reasons. I think if it is a quality store they will do what they can to make it right either replacing the item if it was damaged or the wrong one or by refunding the money for it. Now if it's an item that you ordered by mistake that gets a bit tricky. I try to give enough details on my toys and parts to make sure that doesn't happen. Sizes can be deceiving though unless you see the items in person so it does happen and then depending on the circumstances I may try to work something out so that everyone is happy.

Barbi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barbi
Here's my take: If a package is returned that may be contaminated...let's just say that's what has happened. I return it to inventory and send it out to the next customer that orders that item. Now they remove a "contaminated" bag from the parcel and then, let's just assume their hands are now contaminated. They then remove the item from the package and that may contaminate the actual product.
I'm no scientist. I just try to be responsible to my customers and hope they can feel safe ordering from our store.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I'm just not clear on why you want to know those who have a no return policy ... is it so you do not order from those stores? I too, have a no return policy and as mentioned already, if a bagged item is accepted back even if it was not truly opened and then passed onto another customer ... yes, some parrot diseases can get transmitted that way. It will be unknown if it did happen as to where it came from most likely but still this is how things are controlled. Not only that then as some of us do have parrots of our own and we can then also transmit it to our own birds even when the birds are not on the premises of our shop.

I guess there are extremists out there on all things and you can even say like oh what if the person has something themselves and it can be contaminated and then passed onto the customer... I guess anything is possible but at least we can help protect our birds.

It is like when I had been breeding birds all these years and I stopped people from entering or even going out near my aviaries, it protected my birds as well as their birds too just in case what if my bird(s) did have something and I ws not aware of it and they took it home to their bird(s). In the avian world we must help in protecting our feathered friends as much as we can.

Now, if you order like from say bird.com or like Drs. Smith and Fosters and they accept things back, then those online stores do not have the best interest in the well fare of birds.

So why was your question asked on this, Karen I too am just wondering.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
For me, even if it is a sealed bag, what if there are contaminants on the bag itself?? If I brought that bag into my bird room and opened it there, who knows what kinds of things could get into the air. I know that that's probably a very highly unlikely idea, but I just feel safer with a no returns policy. I don't know what was actually sealed or what was returned and then re-sealed to make it look like it was never opened.

I'm not sure about this cause I don't own a flight suit, but I've seen the packaging and aren't they in ziploc-style bags that can be opened and re-sealed?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm just not clear on why you want to know those who have a no return policy ... is it so you do not order from those stores?
I want to know because I want to shop at Bird-Free - Strict No Return Policy online stores only.

So why was your question asked on this, Karen I too am just wondering.
I asked my question because;

About 6 weeks ago an online store sent me the wrong food items. (NOT any vendor that posts on this board) They responded quickly to my email and sent the correct food right out. Along with the food was a prepaid shipping label so I could box up the wrong food and send it back to them.

Prior to this happening I hadn't given any thought to return policies. Now I do and I have decided I want to be sure I am only shopping shop at Bird Free - Strict No Return Policy online stores and I posted a thread so I would know who has those policies.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
For me, even if it is a sealed bag, what if there are contaminants on the bag itself?? If I brought that bag into my bird room and opened it there, who knows what kinds of things could get into the air. I know that that's probably a very highly unlikely idea, but I just feel safer with a no returns policy. I don't know what was actually sealed or what was returned and then re-sealed to make it look like it was never opened.

I'm not sure about this cause I don't own a flight suit, but I've seen the packaging and aren't they in ziploc-style bags that can be opened and re-sealed?

I've bought 2 flight suits one was in a zip lock baggie BUT the label was stapled on right in the center of the bag - you would know if it was opened then re done - Staples holes you can not hide :) the other was like a zip lock bag but no zip lock and it was sealed (i'm assuming with a machine) then the label was again stapled on right in the center - and again staple holes plus the bag having to be tore open to get into it - would be a dead give away it was open before hand.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I am a bird free store and have a strict no return policy.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I think this is a GOOD policy for companies to have because #1 as a business, it prevents "them" from being liable because a customer is now "claiming" their bird is sick because that was the only "new" thing that came into their house and wanting the "business" to pay for vet bills ( or even worse is to go online and tell EVERYONE that they think this company caused their bird to be sick and ruin a reputation unfounded)
#2 It also makes us as bird owners more responsible in choosing the "right" size toy parts or items for the birds we have...and KNOW from the beginning that EVERYTHING we purchase is safe from contamination from other birds...whether you are concerned with this or not...:hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
For me, even if it is a sealed bag, what if there are contaminants on the bag itself??
:hehe::hehe: I thought I was the only one who worried about this.... I spray down everything with a vinegar/GSE mix before it goes in the bird house

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Years and years and years ago, when I lived in CA, I used to purchase via the Internet from an outfit in Northern California. (That has long since closed and the owner has passed away). I loved this place, lots of variety and she carried everything. All items arrived bagged in heavy duty plastic bags stapled shut.

When I started my own little retail store, I contacted Gwen and made arrangements to purchase Wholesale from her and as I worked not far from her warehouse I also made arrangements to pick my orders up.

Imagine my surprise when I arrived at her warehouse for the first time, to be greeted by 3 adult Macaws, 2 Cockatoos and an african Grey all flying loose. In the center of the building were large tables and employees unpacking boxes of merchandise, sticking the merchandise in bags and stapling them shut. All the while 1 or more of the resident flock would be climbing in and out of the boxes or across the merchandise scattered on the table....

Needless to say I severed my business relationship with Bird Things, although Gwen and I remained friends until her death. However, I continually told her that I did not approve of her business methods.

Thus, for me, plastic bags just aren't enough. I do not want my birds exposed to your birds and your birds should not be exposed to my birds. IMO.

Maybe I am paranoid, however, I have had birds for over 30 years, I have worked as an Avian Vet Tech, I bred/raised birds for over 20 years, and have run a retail bird supply for over 10 years. In all that time I have *never* had a sick bird, not once, not ever.

I maintained a closed aviary and I currently maintain a *closed* shop for the protection of my birds and yours.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Thank you Shelly. Great post.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Thus, for me, plastic bags just aren't enough. I do not want my birds exposed to your birds and your birds should not be exposed to my birds. IMO.
Well said, thank you!

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I made a phone call yesterday to inquire about a return policy on food. I was told they accepted returns. When I told them that I was unhappy to hear this they told me they would note my account; ***Only wants new stock, no previously returned items.

Status
Not open for further replies.