• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures One Year Ago Today....

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you believe it has been a year since I brought Gizmo home? It still baffles me sometimes that she is the same skittish bird I brought home last November. She has come so far, and I want to share just how much she has evolved!

- I used to have to wait at a very minimum 1 week, and sometimes up to 3, to put a new toy in her cage. Now, a couple of days at most. Many toys I place on the outside of her cage she starts chewing through the bars before I get a chance to rotate it in!

- Instead of just using rope perches, she now loves her pedicure perch, a heated perch, BOTR flagstone, flat pine perches, and even a cajeput perch! She used to be terrified of wood perches!

- When she first came here, she hardly played with any toys. She now demolishes thick pine, MPBT wood, plastic chain, bagels, vine, willow, wood beads, cork, and more. I am often greeted to a cage floor covered in pieces of toys!

- My scaredy bird who used to be glued to my shoulder now likes to fly around the bird room, hanging off of the atom, chewing on various toys hanging around the room. She is definitely much more confident now.

- New foods? Gizmo used to practically hide from them. Now she will try almost anything at least once. She still takes a bit to warm up to them, but she is at least trusting that I am not trying to poison her! :lol:

- Hands are still an issue; I am not able to pet her. But she steps up onto my wrist, and she will gently take food as small as a grain of quinoa from my finger without biting. In fact, she has only bit me once since she came here. She's really good about giving me a fair warning though :rofl:

And of course...she is just so sweet and special to me. :swoon: She trusted me so readily and fully without having a reason to. She didn't have to, and she still doesn't, but she continues to give me more of herself and shows me all the time that she is able to push on beyond the harms of her past. I think of how far she has come in just one year, and my heart swells to be able to be a witness to it.

Gizmo showed me that it is in re-homed adult birds that true love of captive parrots lives!! She has taught me how even a "broken" bird can heal, and that patience and mutual trust are at the very core of letting a bird come out of their shell.

There is not a day that goes by that I do not think of @webchirp and silently thank her for giving me the opportunity to be both a teacher and a student in the School of Gizmo :)

And of course, the photos from the past year.

On our way home!

Giz ride home.jpg
Day 3, she decided to fly to me and start our friendship:

gizmo face.jpg

boing.jpg bread.jpg bright.jpg computer take over1.jpg fancy.jpg incage.jpg sleepy.jpg upsidedown.jpg

Last edited:

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy gotcha day miss Gizmo! You guys are lucky to have found each other. :)

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Aww! She is just way too adorable! I always forget just how tiny they are I want to kiss that little face!!:heart: :heart: :heart:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Happy Gotcha Day Gizmo...what a wonderful progress report..just warmed my heart reading it.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Look at those happy eyes in the last pics :heart: She has definitely come a long ways, good job to both of you. Lurch is still a work in progress almost 5 years later but he loves us in his own way and gives a lot of warning now too before biting and I'm getting faster :rofl:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on one year together!

Matt

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Happy Gotcha Day! Love pic 5 in the 1st post and pic 2 in the 2nd! She is so vibrant! :heart:

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
She's a cutie. She looks very confident!

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Like they say, time sure flies. :D Gizmo has come a long way in the year she's been with you. She's a pretty girl. :)

arwyn031313

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amber
That was beautiful,she is beautiful,and you are amazing for doing all you have to make her happy! It's people like you that make me have faith in the human race.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Awe gizzy!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
What a special story and photos. You are both beautiful together. Trust begat trust, which begat love. I have tears in my eyes. I think you're attending the University of Gizmo! And running A plusses!

Happy Gotcha Day!!

Last edited:

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
A truly heartwarming tribute to your sweet Gizmo, Shawna, but I must disagree with the bolded and underlined text in your statement below:

She trusted me so readily and fully without having a reason to. She didn't have to, and she still doesn't, ...

She DID have reason to, Shawna, because YOU provided her with unconditional love patience and hope that taught her to trust :heart:

...but she continues to give me more of herself and shows me all the time that she is able to push on beyond the harms of her past. I think of how far she has come in just one year,... She has taught me how even a "broken" bird can heal, and that patience and mutual trust are at the very core of letting a bird come out of their shell...

My point exactly, Shawna. She reached full potential because YOU provided her with the rich environment of "patience and mutual trust (that) are at the very core of letting a bird come out of their shell..."

I've been reading your posts on sweet Gizmo. Your journey with her has been a labor of love, IMO :heart: Give yourself a little more credit, Shawna ;)

Happy Gotcha Day, Gizmo :hug8: