• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One or two caiques?

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
Wow.... thanks for the great answer.

Did you get their gender DNA determined already when bought or did you have to make a request for this?
The shop owner had already done a DNA test. It's pretty easy but they have to be old enough because they generally clip the toe nail to get a bit of blood... can't clip a nail if they don't have one! I believe they sell the DNA kits online and for pretty cheap.

Reiner

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
Do you recommend two females or males?
Will two females perceive me as a mate and fight each other over me?
I think that the two female caiques fighting to the death could have been hormonal females where one or both started to make a nest in the cage or in certain play tents.
So the fight to the death, in my eyes at least, could have been either protecting the nest or jealousy over a mate.

But since some of you got 8 haha maybe you can shed some light on this issue.

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
I think that the two female caiques fighting to the death could have been hormonal females where one or both started to make a nest in the cage or in certain play tents.
So the fight to the death, in my eyes at least, could have been either protecting the nest or jealousy over a mate.

I can't really say with the females or males since these two are so young and I don't have the experience with caiques specifically. My parrotlet was a boy and he probably viewed me as a partner but then parrotlets are very sexual birds anyways.

I've heard caiques are unique in that they still love their human even after they've bonded to another caique. I asked about the ages of the two girls but the pet shop people didn't know, it could have been hormone related.

Right now I have a little play tent in their cage and they love it but you can bet that once they reach maturity in two years or so I'll be taking that out. Right now it's just a fun little soft thing but maturity changes how birds view things.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP

Males or females makes no dfference, except in hormone season, when the males IMHO have the edge in insanity

Two caiques can fight SERIOUSLY over a piece of nut they found on the floor. Bickering can escalate, and tempers are lost quickly

You belong to the bird, not the other way round. They will fight if you answer the phone when you should be adoring them

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
[QUOTE="ZekeZack, post: 3245236, member: 38998"

Right now I have a little play tent in their cage and they love it but you can bet that once they reach maturity in two years or so I'll be taking that out. Right now it's just a fun little soft thing but maturity changes how birds view things.
[/QUOTE]

The play tent is just as dangerous now as it will be in two years

They will punch holes in the cloth, swallow threads and choke, get nails caught in dangly bits, hanging there in a panic for hours and even strangle themselves etc

WHERE in the amazon rainforest, are caiques sleeping in cloth tents?. They dont even make a nest per se. They hollow out a crevice in tree trunks with that formidable beak

Get them a wooden nestbox to sleep in. Yes some people say it raises sexual issues

Thats why I reccommend that teenage humans dont have a bed around. With no beds around humans would NEVER have sex.

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Ive watched caiques noisily mating right in front of me while they STARED ME RIGHT IN THE EYE like Robert De Niro

WHAT YOU LOOKING AT?

There was no nestbox involved

Also be warned. Many Zoos have been fooled. 20 year old birds with no chicks etc. Caiques will happily engage in same sex activity if no other suitable mate is available

Last edited:

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
I think it's best to look at every situation in context. My boys have not destroyed their tent in the slightest and I watch them closely. If/when they do, I'll take it out before it becomes a hazard. Some birds are fine with cloth toys, others will swallow fibers and it causes an impaction. Each bird and situation is different, as is life.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hi, Daniel,
i have just Joey.
But I wish I had gotten him a playmate ealy on.

Reiner

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
Hey Wendy.

Can you tell me your experience with one caique?
Btw Joey looks gorgeous, hope you enjoy him as a pet.

Reiner

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
I think it's best to look at every situation in context. My boys have not destroyed their tent in the slightest and I watch them closely. If/when they do, I'll take it out before it becomes a hazard. Some birds are fine with cloth toys, others will swallow fibers and it causes an impaction. Each bird and situation is different, as is life.
Well told.

Reiner

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
Well told.
However I personally believe that using cloth tents is not good.
Even if you are very careful and regularly watch an accident only lurks in a small corner and it really just takes a moment of inattendance for it to occur.
There have been many such cases of incidents and this is considered a hazardous toy.

A string is pulled loose from the bedding in couple moments.

The safest option as Irish recommend is a wooden nest if used at all but to not use one is a better recommendation unless you want to breed then go ahead but I don't think you want two male caiques to breed......

I personally have to side with Irish here there are many safe alternatives out there.
A nice wooden block looks just as nice as a tent and it gives a nice amazon/junglish vibe

Reiner

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
But your parrots and cage set up are very nice. You got good style.

Reiner

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
Hi everybody!

I have just made a reservation for two caiques and gave my preference in for two females.

I've also bought a cage and a few things however I am delaying the purchase of other products due to chicks still been handfed as the breeder/shop employer told me.

The store is a reputable parrot shop and breeder in the Netherlands from which I made sure to purchase from to ensure a quality, safe and good purchase.

If you have any questions or tips feel welcome.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
thank you, Daniel!
Joey is about 7 years old. I enjoy him so much. He is ok to play by himself in his Avian Adventures Mediana Cage or outside of his cage ( about 4 hours a day hanging out with me). He enjoys having company and is happy when I play with him. As much as we hang out together, I know that i fall short of being a fufilling companion/mate for him.
Hormonal periods are a challenge for me. There are times when he will attack me. I always observe is body posturing before engaging with him. This year has been significant. But it comes and goes.
He does his very loud ”flock calling” 3 times a day. i have 2 elder cocktiels who share the room with him. While they are a companions, they don’t play together.
i love watching Saroj’s Chickie and JoJo. It is nice to see how well they companion each other.
Joey is such a character and I love so much. 93822116-EE65-4E52-B015-E3EBB92862A7.jpeg