• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One or two caiques?

Reiner

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
Hi there, I am new here.

I wondered what is best to get one or two caiques can you share your personal view on this query?

Thanks in advance

Reiner

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
If anybody here has two caiques can you share your experiences:

• what it's like to have two caiques

• What cage do you have for two caiques

Any general tips regarding:

• What pellet you use and recommend. Do you recommend supplementing it with veggies and fruits and other stuff

• What toys are favorite with your parrots
And any other general advice

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hello Daniel, and welcome to the forum! Irishj9 and Laurie will have more experience than me. I have only 2.

I started with one, and loved her to pieces so got a 2nd one when the first was a year old. For me, they need a companion because they're so full of constant energy it's hard to work a job and keep up with their needs. For example, right this minute they are hanging upside down from a leather toy beak fencing. They've been doing that at least a half hour. This kind of thing is non-stop. I have to work hard to make enough toys, to keep them interested in something, to get them outdoors enough.

I will tell you I was lucky that mine bonded right away after quarantine. You should quarantine them away from each other for a minimum of 30 days. Then slowly introduce. Mine went crazy over each other but some will not. Also as they get older sometimes they divorce each other. I upgraded to a super large cage with a divider specifically for that reason. They are now ages 3 and 2, there's a bit of bickering but I haven't felt they needed to separate yet.

If it makes a difference, mine are BHC.

Reiner

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
Hello Daniel, and welcome to the forum! Irishj9 and Laurie will have more experience than me. I have only 2.

I started with one, and loved her to pieces so got a 2nd one when the first was a year old. For me, they need a companion because they're so full of constant energy it's hard to work a job and keep up with their needs. For example, right this minute they are hanging upside down from a leather toy beak fencing. They've been doing that at least a half hour. This kind of thing is non-stop. I have to work hard to make enough toys, to keep them interested in something, to get them outdoors enough.

I will tell you I was lucky that mine bonded right away after quarantine. You should quarantine them away from each other for a minimum of 30 days. Then slowly introduce. Mine went crazy over each other but some will not. Also as they get older sometimes they divorce each other. I upgraded to a super large cage with a divider specifically for that reason. They are now ages 3 and 2, there's a bit of bickering but I haven't felt they needed to separate yet.

If it makes a difference, mine are BHC.
Thanks for the great reply!

Yes, I was worried about something like that....
I have read and heard that parrots in general are social animals that live in flocks of like 50 specimens and form a monogamous partnership except for the eclectus.

This means that they are never alone in nature and need constant attention or companionship otherwise they will get mental issues and do feather plucking, calling for their flock (which makes sense as they want to be with the flock and do not want to be seperated so they call for them) this may be seen as screaming and other destructive behavior.

Having a second caique will relieve some weight from your shoulders as they have each other for companionship and entertainment.
Obviously we will still interact with them but most humans have busy schedules where they work, need to do groceries, exercise etc.
Realistically nobody can be 100% of the time with their parrot. And the most natural and humane thing is to get two of the same species most preferably.

And parrots are only ever touched by their partner and their whole body is off-limits to everybody except for their partner.
Like a person going up to somebody and his wife and tickling his wife in her neck.
He will get a punch in his face lol and perhaps be attacked by both even.
The same is with parrots.
If other members of the family want to pet and touch the parrot which is behavior only for the partner they can expect a bite. A parrot is basically the same wild animal as his brothers in nature.

The only exception is really busy families where everybody gives a lot of attention and love to a parrot so they do not get the chance to be one person birds or shops.

So if we disrespect their boundaries things will go wrong.

If you disagree with me let me know please.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Hi! I have two. Everything’s great, noise level a bit high at time. They get along great JoJo and Chickie. Bonosa1 on YouTube for over 1500 half minute videos.

Reiner

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
Wow your budgie talks lol

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I have 8 and they are all keep in pairs. Currently, 3 pairs of boy girl and another set of girls.

I've never had a single caique alone, so I guess you know what my vote is.

Reiner

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
I have 8 and they are all keep in pairs. Currently, 3 pairs of boy girl and another set of girls.

I've never had a single caique alone, so I guess you know what my vote is.
Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I agree two seems the best option.

If I purchase two caiques from the same nest would they be okay in the same cage when they reach adulthood?

If from the same nest do they have to be the same gender or will incest happen then?
I don't want incest lol nor do I want to breed.

And if they are from the same nest should I consider two females or males?

Can two females or two males from the same nest live in the same cage?

How are your male caiques compared to your female caiques any difference in temperament?

Thanks for answering my questions.

I apologise if I ask too many questions.

Take your time. There is no hurry.

I'd plan to make a reservation for two caiques in a couple of days at the end of the workweek or saturday.

Judging from my suspicions and your really helpful and nice answers I'll definitely get two.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP

• What pellet you use and recommend. Do you recommend supplementing it with veggies and fruits and other stuff

* what its like to have two caiques?. Its about half the workload of having one caique. They entertain each other, and the that takes pressure off you

* Cages are for sleeping. For afternoon naps. THE REST OF THE TIME ITS GO!GO! GO!.

* I use an all natural no additives pellet, only available in South Africa. My caiques eat a VERY WIDE DIET, from scrambled egg on toast, through peanut butter on wholewheat, my morning veggie smoothie, LOADS OF FRUIT, banana muffins, and a hundred small tidbits as I pass their play areas during the day. Their current favourite is a wheat based breakfast cereal ( all natural, no sugar)

* Caiques do not define the world in terms of " toys" and "not toys" . They are endlessly curious and inquisitive. Read that again. ENDLESSLY!!! ( how patient are you?)

Reiner

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
* what its like to have two caiques?. Its about half the workload of having one caique. They entertain each other, and the that takes pressure off you

* Cages are for sleeping. For afternoon naps. THE REST OF THE TIME ITS GO!GO! GO!.

* I use an all natural no additives pellet, only available in South Africa. My caiques eat a VERY WIDE DIET, from scrambled egg on toast, through peanut butter on wholewheat, my morning veggie smoothie, LOADS OF FRUIT, banana muffins, and a hundred small tidbits as I pass their play areas during the day. Their current favourite is a wheat based breakfast cereal ( all natural, no sugar)

* Caiques do not define the world in terms of " toys" and "not toys" . They are endlessly curious and inquisitive. Read that again. ENDLESSLY!!! ( how patient are you?)
Thank you very much for the answer!

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard

I'm a new caique owner (previously had a parrotlet for 13 years). Caiques are such such high energy birds, I've never had anything like them. My parrotlet was high energy but they are tiny little birds that can fly around the room to relive energy. Caiques seem to prefer to wrestle, pounce, explore, and overall invade personal space (there is actually no such thing).

Two is nice because I've noticed they play with each other A TON. I can't imagine only having one at this point because it already feels like I don't have any -me- time.

The bigger the cage the better imo, but the most important thing is giving them quality time with you outside the cage.

I use zupreem and you absolutely should supplement with as much veggie as they can eat, and fresh fruit daily. I've been making sprouts and it's super easy and healthy addition to their diet.

Toys... ah toys. So, I made close to twenty toys before I brought them home and they've destroyed a large number of them already. They love wood, straws, birdie donuts, and they reeeally like the foam paper stuff. They also like pony beads on hemp twine. If you make your own toys make sure you don't have any loops because they rub themselves on stuff and can, and will, get it wrapped around their necks.Be prepared to go through lots of toys.

Also if you get two siblings make sure they are the same gender. They very well could decide to breed when they reach maturity... bad bad.

When they get older they could decide they can't stand the other so you do need to be prepared to give them separate cages. I heard a story at the bird shop I got my boys from of two sisters who were kept together and the one killed the other, but they were always at each other's throats. It's not a determined thing that they get along but you have a good shot if they seem to be getting along well when young. From what I've heard you just have to monitor them and make sure the tides are not changing.

Reiner

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
I'm a new caique owner (previously had a parrotlet for 13 years). Caiques are such such high energy birds, I've never had anything like them. My parrotlet was high energy but they are tiny little birds that can fly around the room to relive energy. Caiques seem to prefer to wrestle, pounce, explore, and overall invade personal space (there is actually no such thing).

Two is nice because I've noticed they play with each other A TON. I can't imagine only having one at this point because it already feels like I don't have any -me- time.

The bigger the cage the better imo, but the most important thing is giving them quality time with you outside the cage.

I use zupreem and you absolutely should supplement with as much veggie as they can eat, and fresh fruit daily. I've been making sprouts and it's super easy and healthy addition to their diet.

Toys... ah toys. So, I made close to twenty toys before I brought them home and they've destroyed a large number of them already. They love wood, straws, birdie donuts, and they reeeally like the foam paper stuff. They also like pony beads on hemp twine. If you make your own toys make sure you don't have any loops because they rub themselves on stuff and can, and will, get it wrapped around their necks.Be prepared to go through lots of toys.

Also if you get two siblings make sure they are the same gender. They very well could decide to breed when they reach maturity... bad bad.

When they get older they could decide they can't stand the other so you do need to be prepared to give them separate cages. I heard a story at the bird shop I got my boys from of two sisters who were kept together and the one killed the other, but they were always at each other's throats. It's not a determined thing that they get along but you have a good shot if they seem to be getting along well when young. From what I've heard you just have to monitor them and make sure the tides are not changing.
Wow.... thanks for the great answer.

Did you get their gender DNA determined already when bought or did you have to make a request for this?