• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

one-off vomiting?

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
This morning Percy vomited-- the first time either of my two budgies ever has. I woke up late, around 10:30-- they are used to not having the covers off as soon as the sun is up, they will usually wake up at first light, eat a few pellets, then snooze patiently until I get up around 9. Since I took a little longer, they were already flapping around and bickering a bit.

Percy was making motions like normal regurgitation (something he rarely, rarely does, which I thought might be a factor), but after a minute he was clearly in discomfort and started to shake his head back and forth, which I know is a sign of vomiting. I didn't see anything come out, but I was right next to him and felt a tiny splatter. I think he got freaked out by having goo on his head (even though it wasn't enough to really even see), because he was frantically scratching and rubbing his head. He stepped on my hand (which he never does without a treat unless he is in distress) and I just held him until he seemed to have his crop adjusted and wasn't making motions anymore.

After he'd been behaving normally for ten or so minutes, I gave them a very reduced amount of their morning seed and watched them both very carefully. No issues. Then Percy wanted scratches for almost twenty minutes. :sad4: I touched all around the area that was bothering him (even rubbed his tiny, tiny eyelids) and didn't feel anything like stiff or dried vomit, so I think it was just that one brief moment.

I've been watching him all day, and he's been normal. They are both a bit overdue for their annual, so obviously I'm going to schedule that next week, but I'm wondering if it is totally unheard of for a budgie to vomit because of a messy regurgitation, or because they got to excited, or over-ate pellet because breakfast was late... just some context would help. He's munching his dandelions happily right now and was very active today.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have seen Birdie (not a budgie, a cocky) vomit a few times now without any problems afterwards, so basically just once off vomits. He has done it when he first decided he loved pellets and gorged himself on them and he has done it a few times now when he has eaten a big feed of (I am not totally sure if it is wheat or oat) one particular grain that he normally only eats a tiny bit of. There were no other signs that he was unwell or needed vet care- just a once off vomit and back to normal.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My lovebird Sydney got sick once. He just sat for a minute quite still, then vomited twice. He then went into a weird mode, frozen, barely could open his eyes, breathing heavily, he just sat on the play stand, I thought he was going to die. Raced him to the vet, he had perked up by the time I got there, and the vet took a look, ran swabs any way, but basically it was a one off vomit.
There was nothing wrong with him. I brought him home with precautionary meds, and he was back in his cage with his partner two days later.
So yes, one off vomiting can happen, and from what I gather, there doesn't even need to be a reason.