• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Once a parrot's not used to being alone, there is no going back?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've mentioned it in the past and I am even more certain today that at least 3 of my parrots would not do well in the future if they were left *alone by themselves* at home for long periods of time on a regular basis.

I'm on the fence about how Sachi would be because she seems to be quite independent, however maybe that's just a cover up and by now she is used to having the company of other parrot and would rather they still be around, even if from a distance.

I have noticed over the years that Mabel and Emma show signs of anxiety and stress when brought outside alone. They both calm down when another parrot is brought outside to keep them company. When Thomas used to be alone in the other room, he used to chirp like crazy if we were away for too long. He has stopped ever since Sachi shares the same room with him.

Because of all the above, whenever I have to take one of my parrots to the vet I always arrange the cages so that they can all see that they aren't alone and there are still parrots at home to keep them company.

What are your thoughts on this topic? :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've mentioned it in the past and I am even more certain today that at least 3 of my parrots would not do well in the future if they were left *alone by themselves* at home for long periods of time on a regular basis.

I'm on the fence about how Sachi would be because she seems to be quite independent, however maybe that's just a cover up and by now she is used to having the company of other parrot and would rather they still be around, even if from a distance.

I have noticed over the years that Mabel and Emma show signs of anxiety and stress when brought outside alone. They both calm down when another parrot is brought outside to keep them company. When Thomas used to be alone in the other room, he used to chirp like crazy if we were away for too long. He has stopped ever since Sachi shares the same room with him.

Because of all the above, whenever I have to take one of my parrots to the vet I always arrange the cages so that they can all see that they aren't alone and there are still parrots at home to keep them company.

What are your thoughts on this topic? :)
Each of mine are a bit different, I guess. They have a pretty wide range of tolerance. Elvis seems to do the best on her own. Max is by far the worst and has to have a constant companion. Poor little fella. I don't even want to think what would happen to him if anything were to happen to Sonny. It's one of my worst nightmares. :( I think he would just emotionally implode. The rest seem to fall somewhere in between.

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Parrots are flock oriented. Being alone in general is not natural for them. Every bird is different of course and they learn to adapt very well. But yes I believe it's stressful for them to be alone especially if they are accustom to a flock, human or feathered. Safety in numbers. The level of their intelligence requires companionship.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Each of mine are a bit different, I guess. They have a pretty wide range of tolerance. Elvis seems to do the best on her own. Max is by far the worst and has to have a constant companion. Poor little fella. I don't even want to think what would happen to him if anything were to happen to Sonny. It's one of my worst nightmares. :( I think he would just emotionally implode. The rest seem to fall somewhere in between.

Was it obvious to you from the very beginning that Max would do well with bird company? Or was it after being introduced to sweet Mattie that things changed for Max. Just trying to understand.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Was it obvious to you from the very beginning that Max would do well with bird company? Or was it after being introduced to sweet Mattie that things changed for Max. Just trying to understand.
Oh goodness, Saemma. I got Mattie *specifically* for Max, because he was plucking. I'd have never bought a baby bird otherwise. Not ever. I just thought she'd have the best chance of bonding with him. It was all for him. Sonny is/was also all for him. That's why I'm so obstinate about contradicting (or, well, qualifying) the "never get a bird for a bird" mantra. It may be okay as a rule of thumb, but sometimes there are exceptions, and Max was/is one.

Last edited:

maimaie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Luca is very flock oriented, and I have noticed that he doesn't play when alone. If he is in his cage 9-5 (while we are at work) he might play for a few hours, but most of that time is spent sleeping. When we are home he sometimes spends time in his cage and once again he only plays if we are in the room with him. Most of the time he calls to us if we leave the room, anytime we are out of sight he is nervous. I think if (when) we introduced a second fid (provided they got along well) that there could be no visual separation for them.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Haha.....this is quite interesting to me as I am *still* flat on my back with spasms. I am in my bedroom. As the sofa is not conducive to any kind of support. So all 4 of my flock are out in the living room. I think they forget I'm in here. Once in awhile there is a contact call, almost always Bella or Birdie. So their cages are set up that they can all see each other, except Birdie has a somewhat obstructed view of Cowbow. Anyway, I swear they are talking together. It actually sounds like conversation. Then every so often Bella, the ringleader, sings the theme song from Green Acres, and does her spaceship noise, followed by "what does the duck say" wack wack wack. So I think they miss me, but are happy as a flock. Even Gizmo is starting to get into it now. Bless them. :heart:

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Mine are rarely alone but I totally agree, Saemma. Even the birds who were single birds for years and don't have close relationships with any other birds, start calling if they are outside in the aviary alone.

Who is Maddie, Holiday?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Oh goodness, Saemma. I got Mattie *specifically* for Max, because he was plucking. I'd have never bought a baby bird otherwise. Not ever. I just thought she'd have the best chance of bonding with him. It was all for him. Sonny is/was also all for him. That's why I'm so obstinate about contradicting (or, well, qualifying) the "never get a bird for a bird" mantra. It may be okay as a rule of thumb, but sometimes there are exceptions, and Max was/is one.
:eek: Oh no! I had no idea. I guess this was back in the day when I didn't care too much about Macaws and didn't follow the macaw motorway too closely.
What matters is that Max is healthy and happy today and you did right by him.:heart: Are there threads on here of when you first brought him home? :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine are rarely alone but I totally agree, Saemma. Even the birds who were single birds for years and don't have close relationships with any other birds, start calling if they are outside in the aviary alone.

Who is Maddie, Holiday?
Mattie was Holiday's little girlie hahnsie who passed away a little while back. This is how Sonny found his way into Holiday's flock.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Haha.....this is quite interesting to me as I am *still* flat on my back with spasms. I am in my bedroom. As the sofa is not conducive to any kind of support. So all 4 of my flock are out in the living room. I think they forget I'm in here. Once in awhile there is a contact call, almost always Bella or Birdie. So their cages are set up that they can all see each other, except Birdie has a somewhat obstructed view of Cowbow. Anyway, I swear they are talking together. It actually sounds like conversation. Then every so often Bella, the ringleader, sings the theme song from Green Acres, and does her spaceship noise, followed by "what does the duck say" wack wack wack. So I think they miss me, but are happy as a flock. Even Gizmo is starting to get into it now. Bless them. :heart:
Well, they have each other.:) I'm also sure they are all smart enough to know you aren't too far away. Pets are smart in that way. I've noticed that none of my birds prefer to be alone if they know they have a choice to have company. It's interesting and I probably would have never known if I didn't have as many parrots as I do.

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I have noticed recently that my canary, Tucker, is singing like never before since his cage has been moved next to the owl finches, Errol and Hedwig. Though they aren't parrots, of course, they're flock birds. We didn't even realize that Tucker may have been lonely since he had gone blind and wasn't able to see us as we walked around the house. When it got a little warmed we moved the finches to a table at the front window and by an off chance we sat Tucker down there when I was mopping the kitchen. He burst into song as soon as he heard the finches chattering! Needless to say, he is still sitting right there next to them now :) He sings all morning and all afternoon every single day now, and Buckbeak has learned his song almost perfectly and they do a little duet. I think it's the happiest Tucker has been in all his 13 years!

I think separating him from the finches now would make him lonely again, but I think the finches could be separated from him without even noticing.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Who is Maddie, Holiday?

Mattie was Holiday's little girlie hahnsie who passed away a little while back. This is how Sonny found his way into Holiday's flock.

Yes, as Saemma said, Mattie was my sweet, precious baby girl Hahn's. She died when I had to flee from a flash flood, several years ago. :sad1:

Are there threads on here of when you first brought him home? :)
Of when I brought Max home? No, that was before this board existed. But there are threads for Mattie and Sonny. I can't look at the ones for Mattie.... But the ones of Max and Sonny getting together are some of my favorites. It was just like the sun after a storm...

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Holiday. Sorry to dredge up sad memories.:hug8:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have noticed recently that my canary, Tucker, is singing like never before since his cage has been moved next to the owl finches, Errol and Hedwig. Though they aren't parrots, of course, they're flock birds. We didn't even realize that Tucker may have been lonely since he had gone blind and wasn't able to see us as we walked around the house. When it got a little warmed we moved the finches to a table at the front window and by an off chance we sat Tucker down there when I was mopping the kitchen. He burst into song as soon as he heard the finches chattering! Needless to say, he is still sitting right there next to them now :) He sings all morning and all afternoon every single day now, and Buckbeak has learned his song almost perfectly and they do a little duet. I think it's the happiest Tucker has been in all his 13 years!

I think separating him from the finches now would make him lonely again, but I think the finches could be separated from him without even noticing.
I have heard that finches prefer to stick to their own kind and don't care for others and treat them like outcasts. Would that be true?

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I have never mixed finches of different kinds in one cage, so I can't give you any info in that sense, Saemma. But I have noticed that the finches don't really bother much as far as looking at Tucker, instead they do play by themselves. Tucker is blind so he doesn't bother looking at them either. At the store we do have a flight of mixed finches, they don't seem to fight or anything like they but generally will perch separately.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I'm very sorry about Mattie, Holiday. My first eclectus, Jasmine, drowned and I don't like to think or talk about that awful day.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm very sorry about Mattie, Holiday. My first eclectus, Jasmine, drowned and I don't like to think or talk about that awful day.
:sadhug2:

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never had just one bird .. lol .. I can't imagine it!!

There are a few in my flock who I think would be okay as a single bird, but .. I really have no way of knowing for sure.

Most of my guys have friends .. and do very well with their buddies. Some buddies are extremely attached. I can't even being to imagine Ivy without Gump. I know this sounds harsh, but odds are, one of them will die before the other .. and I hope Ivy goes first. Gump would be okay, but OMG .. Ivy would just be devastated without Gump.

It's hard imagine having just one Cake, however, should something happen to one of the two .. I doubt I'd fill the spot.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
All my birds benefit from having eachother as company. Some are very bonded.

However they all do very well alone *with* me. I often take only ONE bird with me to the park or beach, etc. They do very well :)

I could never be a single bird household. I don't think a single bird is happy unless I stayed home all the time, boyfriend moved in and was the one to work.