• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

oldest amazon on the avenue??

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Anybody have one over 50?

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I was fostering a mexican redheaded/green cheek (I decided to keep him) for about a year, he was over 30. Sadly he passed a little over a year after I had him.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have an amazon but at the vet's office yesterday I met an blue fronted amazon who was 44. He has lived with the same owner his whole life.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
My moms DYH may be over 50. She is at least 45. She was wild caught as a sexually mature bird and my parents have had her over 40 years now. She could have been 20 when she was caught for all anyone knows (but was likely a younger bird).

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My mom has a DYH that was a sexually mature wild caught male when she got him. I don't remember the exact year she got Paco, but she had already had him for several years when I was born in '77. So Paco is in his 40's at a minimum (and could be older then that)

myfeetarecute

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sherri
Just a couple months ago I was given a Mexican red-headed/green-cheeked who is at least 35 yrs. old. Had a couple owners who died, then no longer wanted by a couple more. Don't know if male or female, no name. Never had one before so I'm researching like crazy to see what to expect at this age.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just a couple months ago I was given a Mexican red-headed/green-cheeked who is at least 35 yrs. old. Had a couple owners who died, then no longer wanted by a couple more. Don't know if male or female, no name. Never had one before so I'm researching like crazy to see what to expect at this age.
Pure fun! Congrats!

My guys are up in age and amazons can still learn.

lillie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
lillie
Local bird store owner has a 50+ year old yna :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
And Chico is beautiful!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
My blue front is about to turn 14. Still young yet.
But My handicapped tag went to 59, whom passed recently. My military macaw was a few months shy of 70. Born in 1943 , Age related illness started kicking in around 60. But I was amazed he lived that long. I often wondered what going thru life in the eyes of my macaw was like.
The wars we had, different styles of housing, life styles, it just blows my mind thinking about it.
He adapted to change quite well.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
My vet Dr Sakas told me about an Amazon that was a patient of his, and he said the bird was over 100 years old. I don't remember exactly how old he said but I know he said over 100. I almost don't want to believe him but I don't think he'd lie

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
My vet Dr Sakas told me about an Amazon that was a patient of his, and he said the bird was over 100 years old. I don't remember exactly how old he said but I know he said over 100. I almost don't want to believe him but I don't think he'd lie
I've heard of old birds like that too, hard to believe I know. I seen a pair a past client had and when he told me their ages ( in late 70's early 80's) I thought no way!

IAPRpetrie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Agrios
New to the flock! Thanks for having me :) I care for Pirate here, he was imported in 1950, confirmed by a closed import band. He’s at least 72 this year, as we don’t know how old he was when imported. His partner is 35.
13FDB145-9FA9-4F9B-8A3F-30D7F77F3241.png

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@IAPRpetrie mine had closed bands too. The best I could verify age though was a 1978 picture.

I've been asked to post it and I'm narrowing my search thru photos.