• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Old lovebird can't sleep on perch.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hello. My almost 19 year old female peach-faced lovebird is having problems sleeping on her perch. When she turns her head around to put it in her shoulder (you know, the way birds sleep), her head slides off and eventually she is completely leaning forward. Her head is hanging below the perch! She starts to fall off the perch eventually but catches herself. The poor thing can't sleep. I just bought a bird hut and put it in there. I'm also trying to find a perch with a better grip to it. Any good websites for perches? Not finding suitable one in stores. Also thought I'd try a platform perch. Anyone else dealt with this before? And what did you try and what helped? Thank you. You all have been so helpful before.
For really handicapped (or old) birds we sometimes make hammocks for them to rest in. Basically like a human stretcher. Two long side poles with cloth that hangs in between.

I make a number of platform type perches if you're interested. A few examples.

IMG_7190.jpeg IMG_7187.jpeg IMG_7176.jpeg IMG_7085.jpeg

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
I added the platform perch today. She was on it briefly eating a millet spray. I had added three other things but she was not happy about so many changes. Can't believe I forgot about that. lol. I'll add them over time. Question: Can I cover that platform perch with a material glued on? It's scratchy like. Maybe use felt? Is using a glue ok if it's dried? She didn't like the pink vet wrap I had used on a perch but she's never seen it before. The corner platform perch is wood that needs to be covered. Any ideas?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Platform perch.

Thick cut at 2 inches. 3-4 inches wide by 5-7" inches deep.
Stainless steel hardware

Big enough to sit/sleep but still might poop off of it. My guys sleep on a platform perch. Penny only uses it at night but Rio has 2 & he uses them daily & never poops on them.
For some thank heavens reason his butt poops off of them. Maybe I shouldnot say it & jinx myself but you don;t have to cover them with fabric. Let them chew on them if they want.
The above one is 2 inch thick & should last a long time. I like the live edge platforms.

They also might be able to custom cut your 18 inch perch.

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
Update. I added the 2 platform perches and rope perch. She's been on them all, checking things out. Now it's just fun. Lol. She loves her corner platform. She naps there during the day. Sleeps on a different, less slippery perch but I haven't seen her sleep overnight on the platform. However, i think she's been sleeping the normal way on the better gripping perch, with her head on her shoulder. So maybe that's her new night perch. I'm thinking now her previously injured leg maybe isn't 100 percent and couldn't keep her upright at night without a stronger grip perch. I'll keep peeking in at night to see how she's doing. So far, so good. She loves her new additions. Thanks everyone.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great update. Nice to hear she's doing well :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I added the platform perch today. She was on it briefly eating a millet spray. I had added three other things but she was not happy about so many changes. Can't believe I forgot about that. lol. I'll add them over time. Question: Can I cover that platform perch with a material glued on? It's scratchy like. Maybe use felt? Is using a glue ok if it's dried? She didn't like the pink vet wrap I had used on a perch but she's never seen it before. The corner platform perch is wood that needs to be covered. Any ideas?
If you want to cover it just use something you can wrap around it. Like fleece. No glue. That way you can change it every so often.

I’m so glad she’s using them already. :hug8:

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
I'm
If you want to cover it just use something you can wrap around it. Like fleece. No glue. That way you can change it every so often.

I’m so glad she’s using them already. :hug8:
I'm thinking I'll use vet wrap on her one other perch that's slippery. But only put it in certain spots like someone suggested. Hopefully that helps her out with that one.