• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ohhhh Elvis is trying my patience!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
What are the months to look for hormonal macaws?? Elvis (who will be 4 in April) is getting nippier, LOUDER, and more moody in general this last week. According to my husband, he screamed on and off all day. Normally, he has his moments, but pretty stays quiet (as quiet as a B&G can be, right?) most of the day.

My severe macaw, Ringo, who turns 5 years old in May, does not show ANY signs of hormones when she is sexually mature (right??).

Yesterday, Elvis climbed down from his cage, walked across the room, and climbed onto the top of Ringos cage. She was crouching in the corner of her cage, looking up at him, when I walked in there to check on them!! I almost died. It's only happened one other time, a long time ago. Now, he acts like he hates to be apart from her. He just wants to be near her and she is having NO part of it. He sits on his cage and says "come here girl!! up up!! MUA!" like he's trying to woo her. He's a trip.

Give me some advice on the screaming. Do you think it could be related to a crush on her at his age??

He's got a CRAZY amount of toys. There's a TV in their room. They have windows to look out of all day. They eat WELL. I play with them alot. They have alot of interaction with both my husband and me every day. Ugh....

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Since I only have female macaws, I'm not an expert, but I do know that it's spring and the wild macaw flock is acting accordingly. SC might be a little later than Miami being about 800 miles or so north but this is definately the mating season. I read a book about the last spinx macaw and since he couldn't find a Spinx female mated with a much smaller macaw ( I forgot which). The eggs were infertile but a switch was made with a spinx fertile egg born in captivity and the wild parents raised the chick and were very devoted to each other. Elvis is probably very interested in Ringo.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
But a FOUR years old?? Could it be?
Simple answer--yes. Sounds like Elvis is starting into adolescence. He's the right age to be beginning. I don't have a male, so I can't speak to what you can expect exactly. My female just gets super territorial and nesty. Don't worry, though, it can be managed :)

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
I hope so - we are stuck with each other forever! Thanks!

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
My guy is only two, yet I'm noticing a change in his behavior lately too....he's screaming and nipping a lot more as well. He's killing my ear drums...I can't imagine listening to a BG doing that! Yikes! I feel for ya!

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
I'm sure at 4 years old that a lot has to do with hormones but as Daria said its also that time of year. The saying "spring is in the air" happened for a reason lol. Einstein has been MUCH louder and MUCH clingier the last week or so since the weather has improved. He literally screams if I walk out of the room until I come back and for a bird who had normally been very good about entertaining himself now MUST have my attention at all times. He is only 9 months old so mating hormones do not play a part but I think the improvement in the weather affects them in many ways.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That's Elvis's job. He's a parrot!!!

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
LOL!! You crack me up! He was a butt tonight when I got home until I let him out to be free. I fed him (and Ringo) and then he quieted right down. Normally when I cover him, he climbs to the top of his cage automatically. Tonight, he got down to the cage floor and looked up at me saying "hello?" very sweetly. Is it possible that he feels bad for being so moody?? I know, I know...Nice try!

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Perhaps he felt your frustration with him and was trying to be extra cute? :D

I don't have macaw experience so I am afraid I am not much help. I do know how frustrating screaming can be though. KerBear sure has her moments. I am sorry for your poor ears :hug8:

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
Thanks! He was alittle better today. We spent lots of time together while I cut up all their veggies and cooked the rest. He is nippy, so I'm alot more careful about letting him near anyone else. He nips at me then says "you okay???" ... UGH!! He tries me, but I love him so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.