• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oh No, Another Egg

Status
Not open for further replies.

StellaMacaw

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I was so worried about this, and it happened.

Stella is (I was told) fifteen years old now and has so far laid her second egg. She laid her first one on August first of this year. She was getting nesty this year, as usual, and it seemed to have stopped after her first egg. She will usually hang out on the bottom on her cage and when she is out she will try to go on the floor to find somewhere to hide. I don't encourage her or let her set up a "fort" anywhere. But as far as stopping her from getting "broody", I can only do so much. I can't be with her all day long to keep her off the bottom of her cage. Usually, there is nothing that really snaps her out of it, besides just waiting it out. I do cut her light hours, not allow her to "cuddle" into anything, not feed any warm foods, she is not allowed on the couch.

Some vegetables she will not eat fresh, like leafy greens, so I put them I the blender with a little bit of cooked squash to make a "sauce" that she gets in her own bowl mixed with some pellets since I felt that leafy greens are very important. This is served room temperature and I don't give it the chance to go soggy. Should I cut this out? I give her cooked and cooled quinoa a few times a week in which I mix finely minced greens. Should I cut this out too? These foods aren't really mushy, so I thought that they might not be such a "turn on", maybe I was wrong. I need a way to get the greens into her, and she will not eats breads and if I mix the minced green with fresh veggies, she tries to push a lot of them off with her tongue.

She had laid the first egg and pretty much ignored it. I had to take it away because she broke it. After having laid that egg, she seemed to snap out of her routine and I thought her cycle was done for the year. Apparently not. Though, she hasn't even been acting nesty before this second egg. The egg itself is well formed and must have passed quite easily. She was sitting with me less then two hours before hand and I saw it when I woke up from my nap and it was already cold. There was no blood and her cloaca looks normal. She also went and ate like a pig (I assume after), so I will get a better idea of her weight tomorrow.

Both times, I did not notice a bump near her vent like Lovebirds often get. Do you usually see an egg bump in larger parrots or is this normal? Last time, I also noticed that she had gained a bit of weight before laying the egg, which at the time I did not know what a possible sign of the egg. I weight her twice a day, morning and night. This time, I did not notice a weight gain. She fluctuates a bit from day to day, but no difference that caught my attention. She is acting just fine so far, so at least that is good.

I am just so worried that this is going to become chronic and kill her one day. Have any of you had experience with a bird laying another egg after not acting nesty? When do I start to consider the problem as being chronic and consider Lupron? I'm sorry if I seem like I'm jumping the gun, but I am just so worried about her. At least she eats well. And, since her last egg, I have been giving her Morning Bird Calcium Plus. I got that one because it was the one I could get the fastest without it having to be shipped to me. Would another brand be more recommended? Her egg was a bit smaller than a small chicken egg and weighed thirty-two grams. The other one was similar.

She just breaks my heart. She is so sweet and was "preening" my hand as I moved her egg onto something softer to try and keep it from breaking. The poor thing must be so frustrated, this makes me feel so bad that she has to go through all these hormones even though nothing will ever come to fruition from it. I am so worried, I just needed to talk about it. It would be so appreciated if you could keep my sweetheart in your thoughts.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
:hug8: Three of my girls laid this year. In Rosebud's case, the eggs were abnormally small and she had a reproductive tract infection - after scoping, the vet suspects structural irregularity of the oviduct.
So, I feel your pain - the girlies and their eggs are a worry. :hug8:

I wouldn't worry yet about Stella turning out to be a chronic layer. It's not unusual for birds to get hormonal/nesty/lay eggs both in the spring and in the fall.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
BTW, I am keeping fake eggs on hand for each of my species. I have found that flooding tiels with fake eggs really works in reducing the number of eggs they lay, and I hope it will also work if one of my 'zons or Rosebud start laying excessively.

StellaMacaw

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks so much for your replies, Heidrun. Is there a place that you'd recommend for buying fake Macaw eggs?

Aw, poor little Rosebud, that must have been so scary. Oh, these girls, I don't think I've ever been so worried in my life, my mind is just wandering right now... I need to stop that!

Last edited:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
If I remember correctly, I bought them here: DummyEggs.com Sells Plastic Dummy Birds Eggs, Nest Bowl Kits, Plastic Fake Bird Eggs, Immitation Plastic Bird's Eggs, Fake Bird Eggs, Artificial Dummy Bird Eggs, Stop Bird Breeding, Egg Laying. Plastic egg reproductions for Cockatiel, Lovebird, Parak

Bird Supply of New Hampshire has the small eggs, but I don't think they have the macaw sized, or even the Amazon sized eggs.

Yes, Rosebud had me worried, and I'm worried about the next egg laying season. If she gets another infection, she'll probably have to have her oviduct removed. The ovary is too risky to remove.

But try not to stress until such time as there actually is a problem. Bertie is in her late twenties and laid her first egg this year (actually a clutch of four). I'm pretty confident that they were her first eggs - otherwise her prior owner wouldn't have thought she was male. Although you never know, with human beings. :D

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
:hug8::hug8:Scooty laid her first set of eggies ever this past May. She laid 4 of them. Luckily, she hasn't laid any more since *knocks on wood* lol.

StellaMacaw

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone. Heidrun, thanks for the link. May I ask what sort of plastic the eggs are made of? I wonder if Stella would just break them.

She's paying a bit more attention to this egg than the last one. But, she still wanted to come out and play this morning and only returned to it after a few hours. I hope she's not cooking another one in there, but I guess I'll be expecting it.

Last edited:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
The big eggs are solid - they wouldn't break. In fact, I stupidly left my first order on the counter, one of the cats rolled one of, and one of my lab mixes tried to use it as a chew toy. He roughed up the exterior some, but no structural damage. (And this is a dog who has a powerful mouth.) I ordered a replacement and learned a lesson.

StellaMacaw

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for sharing your experience, it gives me a good idea of the strength.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
You may want to limit light exposure to 10-12 hours per day. You may want to consider Lupron shots to shut process down if other methods dont work.

Chicobo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
CC also laid her first clutch of eggs (over the last 2 weeks). She laid a total of 5, and I gave her an extra one so she's sitting on 6. Considering 'tiels can lay 12 or more, I'm okay with 6. Still, it's nerve-wracking.

I second the dummy eggs. I got mine from Bird Supply of NH, they were very prompt with shipping and the eggs are good quality. CC doesn't seem to know the difference. I also tried reducing lighting, etc etc, but nothing works; CC does what she wants, when she wants. So hopefully it just won't be too many times a year.

Sometimes moving toys around in the cage, or changing the cage location, works too.

I hope Stella's doing well today. Good luck with the egg!!

StellaMacaw

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for your responses. Stella is doing great today, as of now, she is back to ignoring her egg even when she went to her cage to eat and play. I know sometimes they will hold off until a second egg is laid, I guess we'll see. We have also tried moving the cage and all the toys, nothing seems to phase her. In a way it's a good thing, because she is so easy going and change doesn't seem to bother her at all, but I guess it's a pain in situations like this.

She sounds like CC is the way that reducing the light and all the stuff that I listed in my first post does not seem to change her mind, her cycle just runs its course. This is her fifth season with us and she has always been that way, though this is the first year that she's laid eggs. Guess it's something that has to be accepted as "natural", up until a certain point. I am just hoping that the egg laying does not become excessive. I would hate to have to start on hormones. So, I'm hoping for the best but trying to prepare myself for the worst.

Do you use the dummy eggs to replace the eggs laid or do you give them to her before she starts laying to (hopefully) dissuade her from laying all together?

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Well, I've got a weird one for all of you to consider. Merlin took a toy apart and was very happy playing on the bottom of her cage with all the pieces. She normally spends most of her time down there anyway. One of the pieces is a purple wooden ball. This spring I realized she was sitting on it and incubating it like it was an egg. I thought the best thing to do was to take it away and discourage the behavior. Then she started sitting on cube shaped ones instead. So I took those. Then she began sitting on her pine cones. At this point I was thinking A) I can't take all her toys away and B) maybe sitting on that ball is keeping her from laying a real one. So I gave her all her stuff back and she went back to incubating the ball. During the summer when she wasn't so hormonal she mostly ignored it, but a couple of weeks ago went back to incubating it again. Now, I don't think she thinks it's a real egg as she's perfectly willing to ignore it to eat, play with other toys or come out of her cage and leave it there. But, maybe it makes her happy to pretend it's an egg when she's feeling the urge to nest, and preventing egg laying?

Merlin does have compromised eye sight so perhaps a purple ball is fine for her, but maybe not for a bird who can see. Maybe those fake eggs could make other female birds happy enough to not lay real ones? Maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to give them to other female birds who are feeling very nesty before they lay?

I'm actually interested in others' thoughts here because my initial thought was oh no, get that thing away from Merlin. And later I changed my mind and gave it back.

brilywi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bri
Well, I've got a weird one for all of you to consider. Merlin took a toy apart and was very happy playing on the bottom of her cage with all the pieces. She normally spends most of her time down there anyway. One of the pieces is a purple wooden ball. This spring I realized she was sitting on it and incubating it like it was an egg. I thought the best thing to do was to take it away and discourage the behavior. Then she started sitting on cube shaped ones instead. So I took those. Then she began sitting on her pine cones. At this point I was thinking A) I can't take all her toys away and B) maybe sitting on that ball is keeping her from laying a real one. So I gave her all her stuff back and she went back to incubating the ball. During the summer when she wasn't so hormonal she mostly ignored it, but a couple of weeks ago went back to incubating it again. Now, I don't think she thinks it's a real egg as she's perfectly willing to ignore it to eat, play with other toys or come out of her cage and leave it there. But, maybe it makes her happy to pretend it's an egg when she's feeling the urge to nest, and preventing egg laying?

Merlin does have compromised eye sight so perhaps a purple ball is fine for her, but maybe not for a bird who can see. Maybe those fake eggs could make other female birds happy enough to not lay real ones? Maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to give them to other female birds who are feeling very nesty before they lay?

I'm actually interested in others' thoughts here because my initial thought was oh no, get that thing away from Merlin. And later I changed my mind and gave it back.
I dunno that it would prevent egg laying, but maybe slow it down when they do feel nesty. I'm sure it can cheer them up if for some reason the bird WANTS to lay eggs but can't for some reason: At the zoo, one of our tiels, Bugs, is getting up there in her age and this past season she didn't lay as many as she usually does and she stopped laying before the season ended. She was really depressed about not laying any more eggs and started finding inanimate objects around the aviary to sit on. She would find little pebbles (that were WAY too small for a tiel egg) and sit on those. At first, the head keeper wanted us to take her pretend eggs away but she just kept finding OTHER things to bring to her nest and sit on. The head keeper realized that taking the pebbles and stuff was making Bugs unhappy, so we eventually gave up and let her and her boyfriend sit on things. The last I heard of her and her nest was that she was sitting on a poor little snail :lol:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
My Baby laid one egg 3 years ago,and 2 last year-She sat them for awhile but was more interested in hatching a blue cup:)She has not really gotten nesty this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.