• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Off to the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lauren

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
:mad: Well Seth has been smelling like poop for the past two weeks and I'm honestly not sure why. SOOOOO, I've made an appointment for my silly boy tomorrow afternoon to have some testing done.

His poops are fine, nothing loose, discoloured, foamy, etc.. the odd one does REALLY smell like poo or something else similar. His weight is steady and his feathers are coming in beautifully!

This has happened before, but went away within a few days so I figured he wallowed in his poop while he was in his happy hut, which he hasn't had since.

I hope the vet finds something, not that I'm HOPING there's an issue, I just hate having things occur without a reason or an explanation.

I'll keep this updated, just in case there's another conure/parrot owner who has a poopy bird :D

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck. I hope it is something that can be treated easily.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Smelly poop isn't good. Make sure to do a simple CBC and throat and fecal swab!:)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hoping something simple:hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I hope it's nothing serious.

Don't laugh but my Grey holds her poops and gas builds up behind them. So after she goes I smell it! This morning I could smell it when I went to uncover her and I was like, OMG, my room smells like Merlin's gas! But, it went away after a few minutes so she must have just made some. Now, gas doesn't normally build up in birds, but if he's holding it through the night and then letting out a big morning one, that could be what you are smelling. Sometimes after I finally get her to make a poop, she will be sitting on me and I can smell her gas for the next few minutes.

Lauren

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Roxy, that sounds like something Seth would do hahaha.

Definitely he's more stinky in the morning, but I just sniffed his bum, which is the only area that has smelled, and it's still there faintly.

Bokka - what is a CBC?

I'm basically going to have my vet do what she recommends, swabs, blood, whatever she thinks is necessary

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
A CBC is a complete blood count. If the white blood cell count is high that indicates an infection. Low red blood cells can indicate anemia. We will need a medical person here to tell you more than what I did:)

But, yes, there can definitely be some gas behind the big morning poop.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Well, Nicky SC always has a big morning poop, but never any gas, & I've often wondered about that (because he's male, lol.) There was one time he was on my shoulder & I heard his tummy rumble :huh: Have you mentioned this to his vet? Perhaps diet could be adjusted? Anything he eats that's unusual?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Yes, Merlin has some pretty loud tummy rumbles as well. This morning it was loud enough that I wondered briefly if it was mine. Between us we are quite a pair:eek: I have pancreatitis and she has ABV.

Lauren

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Completely forgot to update my thread :3

Took him to the vet, of course, he didn't smell AT ALL.

My vet gave him a complementary "physical", weighed him, checked him out.... sniffed his butt :rofl:.... and the first thing she asked was if he had a happy hut. After I said yes, she said did it have poop in hit, Yesssss, next thing she said was to go home and sniff that poop....

I did, it was gross...

After I called her back, she said he more than likely had a morning poop in his hut, wallowed in it, and it took the 1-2 weeks for him to bathe the smell out of his feathers hahahaha.

I am so relieved!!

If this smell returns (he's not getting his hut back), then I am to collect a fresh poop and bring him in to the vet clinic right away and she will look at him!!!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Thanks for the update and I'm glad it's not likely anything serious.

zuzanqa

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zuz
I´m lgad the little stinker is ok!! :lol:

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Glad Seth is ok

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
glad he is ok!!!!!! phewwwwwwwwwwwwww

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
:lol::lol:Glad it all went well. When Scooty got poop on her when she was holding it in from sitting on eggs, she smelled so bad. I washed her with Dawn soap and even then she had a slight smell. Luckily, after a few more showers it went away.

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I hope it's nothing serious.

Don't laugh but my Grey holds her poops and gas builds up behind them. So after she goes I smell it! This morning I could smell it when I went to uncover her and I was like, OMG, my room smells like Merlin's gas! But, it went away after a few minutes so she must have just made some. Now, gas doesn't normally build up in birds, but if he's holding it through the night and then letting out a big morning one, that could be what you are smelling. Sometimes after I finally get her to make a poop, she will be sitting on me and I can smell her gas for the next few minutes.
:coffeescreen: I know this is a guy thing but your bird farts :rofl::rofl:Does she do it under the covers to that would be so gross if she did. :cool1:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
:coffeescreen: I know this is a guy thing but your bird farts :rofl::rofl:Does she do it under the covers to that would be so gross if she did. :cool1:
Yes, my bird farts, lol! And she can imitate like 8 different sounding ones as well! So it seems all day she is either imitating farts or actually making her own! As for under the covers, yes that can happen, too! Yes, men would love to have her in their house:rofl: It took me a bit of time to get over myself and laugh about it.

Rizq

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Becki
I used to have some silver spangled Hamburg chickens, and they farted. Have to confess that the first time I heard it, and turned around to see the hen staring at the "source" like she couldn't believe what had happened, I laughed so hard I almost cried! I had no ideas birds did that :p

Status
Not open for further replies.