• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Odd noise when sleeping, ideas?

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
So guys I’ve a bit of a mystery with my sun conure Max.

His bacterial and fungal cultures came back clear today, as well as his oral culture. But he’s been making this weird stuffy sound on and off while fast asleep.

Video to it here: Sleeping noise concern

I do have an air purifier and a humidifier in their room. His breathing is completely normal during the day and once you wake him up, the noise stops entirely. Active and eats perfectly fine. No tail bobbing and no noises when breathing otherwise. He did just start an antibiotic for a slightly high WBC count, so maybe that’ll kick it.

Any ideas? Is it just normal sleep sounds or allergies? Have you guys ever heard anything similar? Thanks for the help, I’m stumped!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Sorry, I can't hear it and I tried headphones and everything. Of course the keets are peeping away which likely doesn't help. Did they flush his nares and gram stain the flush?

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Sorry, I can't hear it and I tried headphones and everything. Of course the keets are peeping away which likely doesn't help. Did they flush his nares and gram stain the flush?
Thanks for replying! Yeah it’s hard to hear over the air purifier in there. It sounds sort of like a stuffy nose. Only happens when he’s asleep.
They did and the results were clear. Same story with his oral culture and vent gram stain results.

He was just put on doxycycline because his white cell count was somewhat elevated. And the vet chocked up his sleep sounds to potentially the start of a respiratory infection but.. I’ve had him for two months now. No respiratory signs when he was in quarantine. And his results say he doesn’t have a respiratory infection.

It’s confusing so I thought to ask the forum. I hope it’s just a quirk of his!

Oops! I forgot his DNA came back. He’s actually a she. Gotta get used to that.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Interesting! I just found an older thread on here about another Sun with a similar situation. Link to it here: Bird Sleeping Position & Wheezing??

Now that I think about it, Max does sleep on her platform at night with her head bowed forward instead of tucked behind her.
Whenever I’ve woken her up during these noise fits, she’s been leaned forward nearly on her stomach; fast asleep. Soon as she’s upright the noise stops. And she grumpily glares at me for disrupting her slumber.

Could that be the cause I wonder?