• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NOW I'm very nervous!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Calypso's beak has gotten worse. I don't see any signs that it's bothering her, but I'm absolutely paranoid that something is wrong, it doesn't look right, and now its a much bigger piece! I don't want to catch her and stress her out to get a better look at it, I can't tell if its just flaking off, or if that really is a significant chunk of her lower mandible!
Oh gosh, someone please check this for me and see...its DEFINITELY larger than it was last night. :scared3::what:

Also, sorry for the crappy quality of the pics...took the one with flash and the whole crew got alarmed, so I instead took them without flash so they aren't the best.

Attachments

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
The pics aren't clear at all. Could it be scaley face mites Natalie?

4Z Birds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donna
It's hard to tell what's going on in those photos. I don't have a clue.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Ohh I think I *might* know what you are talking about.

Is it the chunk next to her beak there? is that what you are worried about?

If it is hard, it could be food or it could be her beak, you could try soften it and see if it will come off, but you said you don't want to stress her out - the only other thing is to let it come off by its self, if it will is another thing.

If you are really concerned, take her into an AV and have her beak checked. I think a flaking beak is usually normal though? (just as long as it's not flaking all the time) I am not sure.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I'm sorry guys, I will try and get better photos :( I know they were horrible shots. I don't think its Scaley mites at all...the rest of her beak seems normal, haven't seen any concavity, and she's not really itchy or anything. Maybe I can towel her to get some better shots...it really just looks like a piece of her beak has broken off, its not a white plaque at all, its the same color as her beak.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ohh I think I *might* know what you are talking about.

Is it the chunk next to her beak there? is that what you are worried about?

If it is hard, it could be food or it could be her beak, you could try soften it and see if it will come off, but you said you don't want to stress her out - the only other thing is to let it come off by its self, if it will is another thing.

If you are really concerned, take her into an AV and have her beak checked. I think a flaking beak is usually normal though? (just as long as it's not flaking all the time) I am not sure.
Yep Renae, that little chunk on the side of her beak, that is what I am VERY worried about. I can't tell what the texture is, but I'm guessing hard...I guess toweling her wouldn't be terrible, I just haven't had to do it since I got her.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

Yep Renae, that little chunk on the side of her beak, that is what I am VERY worried about. I can't tell what the texture is, but I'm guessing hard...I guess toweling her wouldn't be terrible, I just haven't had to do it since I got her.
If you feel comfortable doing so, then do this. See if it is hard, and if it is, I would say it is more then likely a piece of her beak that has chipped off and pushed off to the side of her beak. It might be more comfortable for her if you can try get it off, without stressing her out, but if she stresses too much, then it is something you could a) leave or b) have a vet take a look and see if they think it should be left on or they can take it off. You can probably dab luke warm water on it so it will wiggle off easier and it will be pain-free for the budgie. :)

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
It looks like it might be a growth or maybe she is vommiting/regurgitating and it is stuck on her feathers? I'd get her checked out by a vet for sure. I'm hoping it's nothing serious. :hug8:

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I think I would try and soften it with some olive oil... I'd be afraid that she would rub her face on a perch and cut herself if it is a hard piece of her beak. :( Good luck!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I've figured out that if I mist Chotu with warm water to dampen down his wings I can catch him without too much stress to either of us.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I see what you mean...now sometimes budgies get a hard growth ...I have been told it is an indication of liver disease...however, if you are concerned and dont know what it is, why not bring him to a vet to have a check??

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Vet appointment has been scheduled.
Better safe than sorry! I would feel terrible if it was something wrong with my sweet Calypso. In the mean time, Ginger, I'm going to spray her wings and dampen it with some lukewarm water and see if I can get a better look at it. Not planning on removing it or anything, just want to get a better feel for what it is. She goes in tomorrow afternoon.

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Hope it's nothing serious! :hug8:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
to me it looks like she's been fed by another bird , they made a mess and its dried to the side of her face - I see similar with my breeding budgies

BUT if she's still on her own, she could of like mentioned regurgitated and its dried food stuck to her feathers around her beak.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
to me it looks like she's been fed by another bird , they made a mess and its dried to the side of her face - I see similar with my breeding budgies

BUT if she's still on her own, she could of like mentioned regurgitated and its dried food stuck to her feathers around her beak.

Yes, this could be. She is still by herself. I'm going to try the warm water to soften and see what it is. If its just a bit of dried food stuck to her face, I'm going to feel a bit silly, but it really does look like a piece of her beak.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

Yes, this could be. She is still by herself. I'm going to try the warm water to soften and see what it is. If its just a bit of dried food stuck to her face, I'm going to feel a bit silly, but it really does look like a piece of her beak.

Don't feel silly......it just shows you pay very close attention to your birds.

A lot of people probably wouldn't even notice that.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ohh, I'm really nervous now :(
I toweled Calypso and took a Q-tip with warm water and tried to move it around a bit. Its very hard, and while it was hard to determine if that was a piece of her beak, it definitely was not a piece of food. She was sitting fluffed up when I went in there later the night before, sort of drowsy. I don't know if it was from the stress of being handled, or something else. She was very good while she was toweled, was letting me mess with it and even touch it with my finger.

Its right at the corner of her lower mandible...when I would lightly pull it away, it was sooo hard to tell if it was a chunk of her beak, or if that was just where he beak ended. After moistening it and wetting it down, however, the texture and consistency did not change, and it appears to be attached to her skin.

A growth? A chunk of her beak? It think it would be very doubtful that it would be food.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I hope Calypso is ok.. :hug8:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!