• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

November 2013 Mayor of the Avenue..... Birdlover (Jill)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am so delighted to announce Jill as November's Mayor of the Avenue. Given all the work she's put into the forum, including this very recent move, it's only fitting!

I loved your interview and enjoyed getting to know you a little better!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

That's a big list :eek:
I have 23 birds; Amazons, Cockatoos, Senegals and Hawk-headed parrots.

Amazons: Cyan (BFA - 20), Odie (BFA - 20), Pancho (DYHA - 21) Tasha (DYHA - 27), Ruger (DYHA - 13), Trixie (DYHA - 30), Ricky (RLA - 25), Lady Di (RLA - 25), Phlare (MRHA - 45+), Traveler (MRHA - age unk), Cecil (LCA - 17), Charlie (YNA - 24)

Cockatoos: Lancelot (E2 - 17), Frankie (G2 - 22+), Austin (G2 - 22+), Shiloh (22+)

Senegals: Coke-a-moe (20), Graham (15), Dawn (15)

Hawkheads: Cassius (6 years), Zeva (5 years), Ringo (22+), Riven (~18)

2. What got you interested in birds?

Interestingly, my first bird experience was a little male cockatiel that was kept in my chiropractor's office. After seeing him I begged and begged (and finally got) my first bird; a male normal gray cockatiel (Magic) in 1986.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?
Stress! :coffeescreen: They are wonderful and keep things interesting. I cant imagine not having birds. They definitely make my life better.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Patience, being more aware of how I am feeling and acting as it directly affects them.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

My beloved Rasta; goffin cockatoo (first large bird). He was my best bud and was rarely ever caged. I had a decent cage for him but he was never kept in it and had full run of a large room. I did not clip him either as he loved to do circuits around the house. I went on a week-long houseboat trip and my mom stayed home, taking care of Rasta and other critters we had. Well Rasta was not happy at all that I was away. He completely shredded everything in that room. The shutters, baseboards, door frames, cabinets - you name it. Getting home I was so excited to see my bud. My mom simply said - go see what your bird did. OMG I was mortified. He had never been destructive like that before, I guess he was showing his displeasure. No surprise looking back of course. He was such an awesome bird and I was so beyond lucky to have had him.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

The four inside birds (Cassius, Zeva, Cyan & Coke) are all kept in our front main room. The rest live 24x7 in flight cages outside. The other two hawkheads have a mini-aviary on the back side of our house and the rest of the birds have a larger aviary on the property.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

We don't have a lot of pictures and such since my birds are flighted. We are also super careful with windows and doors but aside from that, nothing really special. We hope to be moving in the next year and the birds will then have their own room which will be super nice. A door that can be opened to roll their cages outside for sun/cleaning. No carpet (cant wait!!), and decorated with all their fun stuff :)

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Only Avian Avenue.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

Stainless steel cages!! And an even larger aviary with bigger flights would be awesome.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I have my dream bird (hawkhead parrot), and Ive been lucky enough to have had two "heart birds" - Rasta (G2) and now Cassius (HH). I wont get any more birds but aside from a HH, I had always wanted a MM2. No plans for that to happen as I am definitely maxed out on birds and what I can manage.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Morning routine is getting everyone fed and cleaned. Then I go work with horses for several hours. Coming back to the house everyone gets some time out one on one. If DH is home, I can take Zeva in another room and then he has Cash out in the main room. The hawkheads don't get along so that's how we maximize their flying time separately. They both also take turns for shower time, which both absolutely love. Cyan spends every night on the bird tree in our bedroom (she loves to "camp out").

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

That there is always something to learn and do better at. Just when you think you've got things figured out, someone shows up with another great idea to make their lives better :)

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I wouldn't have taken in quite so many to be honest. It was easy to obtain many of them as I worked in a pet shop at the time and so many people were looking to get rid of their bird for one reason or another. Many of them were given to me and then I ended up finding them a buddy (I prefer to have them in pairs, not necessarily opposite sex thou).
14. What other hobbies do you have?

Working with horses and also doing things on the forum to continue making it better.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I'm so glad to have such awesome members in our community here on AA. You have all been such an influence on things I do for the birds. From the amazing vendors to the creative ideas on feeding and enriching their lives, the ideas shared here cant be beat :)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
:wideyed: Can't believe she's never been mayor before. Congratulations, Jill!!! :D I loved reading your interview and you are obviously so very deserving. Thank you for all that you do for us :) Also, didn't realize you had such a huge flock!! How do you do it all?!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hmmm: WHO?

Just kidding! Wonderful interview Jill! Thank you for all your hard work that you put into this forum. Thank you for banning the "He Who Shall Not Be Named" man! Thank you!! Congrats! Very well deserved! :dance4: :heart:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
WOW and congrats!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Congratulations Jill and thanks for all of the years of work on AA

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Congrats Jill! Thanks for helping make this a great place to be! I just got here but I hope to stay a long time :D

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:wideyed: Can't believe she's never been mayor before. Congratulations, Jill!!! :D I loved reading your interview and you are obviously so very deserving. Thank you for all that you do for us :) Also, didn't realize you had such a huge flock!! How do you do it all?!
With difficulty :eek: In all seriousness, it makes it so much easier that most of my crew are aviary birds. Its much easier to manage because most are hands-off and have a buddy. It brings the workload to a manageable level. There are a few in the aviary that like attention and get it, but they wouldnt be happy inside. Lancelot is one of those - I had gone through a few very rough years with her and decided to see how she'd do in a different situation (moving in with the other birds where she had much more space and freedom). Its been such a lifesaver and really made all the difference for both of us. :)I can do anything with her now, where in the house she had gotten extremely phobic and was so stressed (and this is a bird I raised from the egg, too). So with "just" four needing daily hands on attention its not so bad :) Toy and food prep do take forever though ;)

Thank you for banning the "He Who Shall Not Be Named" man! Thank you!!
:coffeescreen: You bet :laugh: :devil:

Now get to kissing some babies and shaking hands......or is that the other way around :huh: ;)
No babies here :wtf: :roflmao:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Mayor!........as though she doesn't have enough to do already! :pinklol2:

There's no one more deserving! :Congratwav:

:hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
With difficulty :eek: In all seriousness, it makes it so much easier that most of my crew are aviary birds. Its much easier to manage because most are hands-off and have a buddy. It brings the workload to a manageable level. There are a few in the aviary that like attention and get it, but they wouldnt be happy inside. Lancelot is one of those - I had gone through a few very rough years with her and decided to see how she'd do in a different situation (moving in with the other birds where she had much more space and freedom). Its been such a lifesaver and really made all the difference for both of us. :)I can do anything with her now, where in the house she had gotten extremely phobic and was so stressed (and this is a bird I raised from the egg, too). So with "just" four needing daily hands on attention its not so bad :) Toy and food prep do take forever though ;)

Ah, that makes sense :) Sometimes I am exhausted with my two and when Charles was around I felt like they really kept me busy. Good for you for making it work!!!! :)

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
A truly natural choice for this Award :iwon:A truly inspiring and informative interview :thumbsup: Jill, as Head of this wonderful Forum, you have encompassed utmost integrity in your efforts at promoting open communication across the board, you foster this culture among your Admin/Mod members at all times and also when questions are asked, to clarify confusions and promote understanding in a prompt and respectful manner, which goes a long way to foster trust and faith in an online Forum. This is a very important quality and indicative of a true leader :congrats3:

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was searching for a scepter for you, but I think I'm doing something wrong, I keep finding things that blow your hair back :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.