• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not interested in toys

bug_inarug

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juniper
I need help. My linnies have never used any of the toys I've given them, except for one, but it's very infrequent. I've had shredding toys, foraging toys, bells and noisemakers, swings, things to chew, a ton of things. I've hidden treats inside rattan balls and everything and they don't show interest. I've tried to give them food-based enrichment: their favourite food is pomegranate, and I just give them a chunk every once in a while and let them forage for the seeds. But I still feel really bad about their lack of enrichment (even if it's self-inflicted on their behalf). Are there any toys that you guys' birds prefer over others? Any tips for how I can give them more enrichment or encourage them to use toys more?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My linnie really likes sola, balsa, sometimes thin pine, and plastic chain and charms. He also likes foot toys!

This is currently one of his favorites. This is my shop link because he inspires me to make more toys :lol:

What is the toy they do like and what do they seem to like about it the most?

bug_inarug

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juniper
My linnie really likes sola, balsa, sometimes thin pine, and plastic chain and charms. He also likes foot toys!

This is currently one of his favorites. This is my shop link because he inspires me to make more toys :lol:

What is the toy they do like and what do they seem to like about it the most?
It's a chew. It hangs from the top of the cage and has a rattan ball and some chunks of balsa. Only one of them uses it, but it's the only toy she's regularly used. My little guy has never used the toys I've given him (as far as I've seen).

Thanks for your help!! I'll check out the site :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It sounds like the problem isn't the toys buy your bird doesn't know how to play. Spend time as close to him as you can get and show him how to play with them.

@Leih @Dona @Matto

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
The adult linnies that I keep in pairs aren't terribly interested in toys either. I wouldn't worry about it.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
The adult linnies that I keep in pairs aren't terribly interested in toys either. I wouldn't worry about it.
I should add that all of them played with toys when they were younger, so it's not that they dont know how. They just lost interest.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
I should add that all of them played with toys when they were younger, so it's not that they dont know how. They just lost interest.
I second @Matto ! Mine have followed the same path, liking toys when younger (sola wood being a big fave) but losing interest as they mature. I've had a few toys going on 5 years now .

There has been one exception: the Crunchy Munchy toy by Planet Pleasures. Several of my adults still chew on the mahogany pods regularly.

Oh, also mine like to shred the sea grass mats on their hanging trapezes when they're out of the cage. That comes in spurts

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
i have the same problem too. my conure really doesn't... like i dont know if he KNOWS how to play with toys??? i play with the toys next to him, but he just stares at me and doesn't interpret what i do! i am not sure what to do. i buy him all these beautiful toys and things to hang/climb off of and like... when i try to show him how to play he doesn't do it. he just kinda looks at the toys and foraging stuff and would rather not be bothered. i have tried wooden toys, branches, sea grass, balls, safe rippable string and boxes. nothing.