• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not entering a bird store ever again

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
I don't know.
Maybe these will give you more info. I would like it if it is just individual workers because then they could be fired if found out.
If i personally witnessed them throwing live animals in the garbage i would have immediately found out if it was company policy or an ignorant worker.

LiveLolBrd

Real Name
Lana
I didn't persoannly w
If i personally witnessed them throwing live animals in the garbage i would have immediately found out if it was company policy or an ignorant worker.
I didn't personally witness it, but I called them about what they do with a sick bird and they say in a fake sweet voice they just take it to the vet and wait for it to get better. They wouldn't do that for real because the vet bill would be more than the bird is worth. They are all for money.

LiveLolBrd

Real Name
Lana
@LiveLolBrd It's horrible. Is this for real? :(
Yes. It is real. There was a video on youtube called something like, Confronting Petco For Throwing Away Live Animals and they locked the dumpsters and threatened to call the police if the guy stepped in their store. he could hear the animals in the sewer.

birdienerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
You can call me Birdie or J/Jay!
I am going to be away for a couple days and decided to check out a nearby bird store (TC Aviary in Chantilly, VA) to grab some extra toys for my guys so they don’t get too bored.

I enter the store and they have cats just roaming around alongside the many birds out on perches. Many of the birds are naked from plucking. The cages themselves are dirty with bugs and roaches everywhere. The birds are all fed some seed mix and no enrichment is provided in their cages. The average Petsmart/Petco provides way better conditions than this. There is a retired breeder blue crowned conure pair where both birds are completely plucked and shivering. They had a plucked elderly senegal and elderly sun conure at the front for sale. I check out the toys they are selling and find that some of them are made with hot glue. Some of the wood toy parts they are selling look like they might have mold on them.

I’m not sure what the story is with the older and plucked birds. I just know that they all looked so sad. I keep thinking about the blue crown conure pair and the elderly sun conure and senegal. I don’t want to bring home any other birds. I don’t have the income to support vet bills for any elderly addition. Yet, I keep thinking about those guys. I will call to ask about pricing when they open.

May I never enter another bird store ever again. Let me live in ignorance.
Call animal control/ ASPCA, Maybe contact an avian rescue too. This is just unacceptable. Those birds deserve so so much better, And mold on items that are for sale to the public??? Disgusting! Thats an entire health hazard, contact authorities asap.

Rebel

I didn't persoannly w

I didn't personally witness it, but I called them about what they do with a sick bird and they say in a fake sweet voice they just take it to the vet and wait for it to get better. They wouldn't do that for real because the vet bill would be more than the bird is worth. They are all for money.
Ill go to Petco this weekend and ask what they do with sick birds. If i had to guess, i would think it would fall back on the breeder.

LiveLolBrd

Real Name
Lana
Ill go to Petco this weekend and ask what they do with sick birds. If i had to guess, i would think it would fall back on the breeder.
Okay, let me know what they say!

T. gillii

Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
I can say with almost certainty that it is NOT a policy to throw away live animals. This is a chain pet store retailer and I think most conditions are up to management and employees. Here, our stores are pretty meh. Reptile care is pretty generally bad, cohabbing solitary species (THIS may be standard for all petcos). Here we rarely see anything other than finches or parakeets in store, maybe the occasional conure, but when I visited Tennessee, they had numerous green cheeks kept in pretty OK cages! It was also clear that employees had interest in the animals. I would never purchase a parrot from petco regardless, but I have low expectations for them because it is a chain and at the end of the day, they are much more likely to be concerned with their bottomline than the animals health and wellbeing. I am lucky enough to live in a place with numerous stores for exotics (parrots and reptiles) and I wouldn't shame anyone who gets animals from petco either.

Rebel

Yes. It is real. There was a video on youtube called something like, Confronting Petco For Throwing Away Live Animals and they locked the dumpsters and threatened to call the police if the guy stepped in their store. he could hear the animals in the sewer.
Okay, let me know what they say!
Will do.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don’t care if it’s policy or not. If I saw that, I’d call 911 to report a crime in progress (animal cruelty).

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Are you saying its Petcos policy to throw live animals in the garbage or would you say that its individual workers who take it upon themselves to throw away live animals?
I am not sure who did it because we didn't see it happen. I know that we found nearly dying lizards fish and rats and mice. And as I said it was reported to the authorities immediately.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I can’t remember where it’s was but there was also something like this in uk a pet store (big chain )was throwing away live fish that didn’t sell or poorly reptiles in bins outside it was reported on local news years ago

Pet shop near me a lovebird had a growth over its eye I asked what would happen and they said it was going back to breeder as the breeder had a vet
There’s been 3conures in there since well before Xmas and a Quaker the conures have been reduced from £300 to £175 and are still there takes a lot for me to walk away one is a sweetheart but after seeing the lovebird with a growth totally covering its eye being blind i won’t buy anything from there anymore my seeds were infested with bugs too

massively put me off too when the put a large wooden aviary in middle of shop there’s quails doves on floor living and a lot of different species of parrots living together at top of aviary

also this is where my friend got olive from

Last edited:

Rebel

I don’t care if it’s policy or not. If I saw that, I’d call 911 to report a crime in progress (animal cruelty).
Easy does it. Of course its NOT policy. I was just trying to find out who the finger was being pointed at and why anyone would condemn an entire chain over a bad apple or two.

LiveLolBrd

Real Name
Lana
I can’t remember where it’s was but there was also something like this in uk a pet store (big chain )was throwing away live fish that didn’t sell or poorly reptiles in bins outside it was reported on local news years ago

Pet shop near me a lovebird had a growth over its eye I asked what would happen and they said it was going back to breeder as the breeder had a vet
There’s been 3conures in there since well before Xmas and a Quaker the conures have been reduced from £300 to £175 and are still there takes a lot for me to walk away one is a sweetheart but after seeing the lovebird with a growth totally covering its eye being blind i won’t buy anything from there anymore my seeds were infested with bugs too

massively put me off too when the put a large wooden aviary in middle of shop there’s quails doves on floor living and a lot of different species of parrots living together at top of aviary

also this is where my friend got olive from
Does your friend happen to be named Sophie?

LiveLolBrd

Real Name
Lana
Easy does it. Of course its NOT policy. I was just trying to find out who the finger was being pointed at and why anyone would condemn an entire chain over a bad apple or two.
I'm not condemning an entire chain but there are more that just two bad apples. Way more.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Let's be perfectly honest, any pet store that sells animals is in it for the money and the money only.
As far as Petco goes they pretty much lost my business after a recent transaction with them online. I purchased enough to have free shipping. Doesn't free shipping mean it comes to you without any tags or tax or tips. They use doordash to deliver the items that I purchased and by the way you are being charged $20 tip for that. I think I will be going to chewy from now on.