• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Nose knows?

PitaLemon

Moving in
Real Name
Peter Manaridis
Good afternoon everyone. I just got my lovebird a few weeks ago.
His name is Lemon and he's still a baby. Probably around 12 weeks old?

During the past week I've noticed his nostrils have become much more visible. I've seen some pictures of sick birds with huge nostrils so I got a bit worried.

Are they showing more because he's growing and his feathers are changing or does he look sick? I posted a picture, hope it's visible 20180622_161131.jpg 20180622_161124.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
His nare is showing quite a bit in that last photo. Have you seen any discharge, extra sneezing or yawning?

PitaLemon

Moving in
Real Name
Peter Manaridis
He hasn't sneezed or had any symptoms. He does make a hiccup kind of noise sometimes recently. Otherwise he been acting very normal and happy and cuddly.

My brother says it's because his beak grew and his feathers around the nare are moving around or gone but I'm not sure.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
That's an interesting theory.

Mine tend to show their nares a bit more when moulting or when they have recently taken baths and not fixed their feathers yet - but not to the extent of your second picture.
Keep an eye out for any nasal discharge or abnormal breathing - Their breathing rate is supposed to be somewhere between 30 and 60 per minute and laboured breathing can be noticed by a slight bobbing of the tail (though this is only alarming when they've been at rest for some time).

PitaLemon

Moving in
Real Name
Peter Manaridis
Alright. The last 3 days I started seeing more feathers around his cage so I suppose he's moulting. Only like 2-3 small feathers a day .
His behavior suddenly changed very rapidly in the span of a week. He started playing with his toys more, nibbling on stuff, cuddling with me, trying more foods. Make new chirps like he's singing. Like he suddenly grew up a bit out of nowhere.

Going back to his nose. At first it just seemed like the feathers that normally covered his nose were lifted and it was showing a bit more. Then a few days later it was even more exposed so I guess it's just the feather gone.

He's still very energetic and happy. Though whenever he comes out of the cage he cuddles and nibbles on my face and hands and glasses and then he naps on me for a bit.