• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Normal sleeping position question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
  • Bodie usually stays in one spot at night on his sleep swing. I can tell this by the paper I put under it to monitor his poops. Sometimes like this morning when I got him up I noticed that his poops where scattered around below his swing. So it looks like he moved around at night to different spots on the swing. Is that normal? Would he be getting cold (he is covered)?
  • Maybe I am just too overly protective!:hehe:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
only a few of my birds stay in one spot all night

even the ones who are covered move around

I guess it's like us we move in our sleep - they move around the same

I can even hear mine playing at night when they should be sleeping - so they must not have any issues seeing in the pitch black dark LOL

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Poppet moves around. She changes her sleeping place quite often. She just moved from her bong to her slinky.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Is he is his normal cage at night? Maybe a sleep cage is in order? Maddie sleeps in a sleep cage and sleeps much better than she did in her big house. When she was in quarantine in my room she would wake up and play with toys and eat, but when I put her in a sleep cage, she slept much better because there weren't as many distractions.

M-Nature

Walking the driveway
Real Name
M-Nature
You wondered if your parrotlet might be getting cold. What's the temperature like at your house? In the winter, I use a heating pad on the outside of the upper corner of my parrotlet's cage. (It's covered with a soft thin cloth so that she can't pick at the pad. I have two perches in the upper corner of the cage so that she can sleep closer to the heating pad or farther away if she needs to. I tried a thermal perch last winter, but she ended up with sores on feet (bumblefoot) so vet advised use of the heating pad.

My parrotlet is in a large King's economy cage and I do cover her at night. I like Allision's idea of using a sleep cage. That would be easier to keep warm and out of drafts.

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Bodie sleeps in his regular house and is covered. I have a avitech heating panel that I use at night during the colder months. The temp in his room is usually 67-68 when he goes to bed and in the morning is has been around 64. Soon I will have to leave the heating panel on 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.