• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Noise Level?

Muddy

Checking out the neighborhood
I am debating on whether or not I should get a lovebird for Christmas... The only problem is their vocal ability.

Are lovebirds loud? Do they get annoying? Do they constantly make noise?
If so, which small parrot is the quietest? I know they all make noises, but which ones are less noisy?

(My parents will probably not tolerate massive shrieks or calls...)

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
My lovebird can be quite loud. I can hear him from outside when I'm in the backyard with my dog. But I've also had budgies and finches, which I could also hear outside from my house. I don't get annoyed by my lovebird, I like hearing him sing. He likes to mimic various whistles and sometimes screeches when he gets riled up.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I am not avoiding your answer but noise is not relative tome. I have medium and large birds so find the smaller birds all are quiet LOL

Try a princess of wales or linnie. They are small birds and on the quieter side. If you house hold is noisy you will have a noisier bird. If a bird is ignored you will have one calling out for the flock. So are the quiet or noisy just depends/

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When I had lovebirds my husband took them to someone else because they sang first crack of dawn.

clarabear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Clara
lovies can get pretty loud... my lovebird's screams are only bad when he's sitting on my shoulder and yelling in my ear. But if your parents won't tolerate much noise, then yeah, I don't know if they would want a lovebird.

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
If I were to compare a lovebird to something like a sun conure, no, they're not that loud.

However, if you were to compare them to other small birds like cockatiels or budgies, they're much more shrill. You can recognize a lovebird right away if you know what they sound like, and they're very high pitched, so that pitch travels. Of course, it depends on the bird and they may choose to chirp loudly at certain times of day or for certain things. Lovebirds also have a lower and quieter range of chatter. The most identifiable lovebird chirps are not quiet though.

"Annoying" is relative too. You spend a few years in the thick of lovebirds squawking flock calls and it just becomes a part of life. :p Bring your family with you when you go to meet some birds and they can get a sense of the noise too, even if it's just in a pet store. Visit some birds in real life, find a few species that may be a good fit for your parents' tolerance, and go home and do some more homework on the species you can both agree on.

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm always a fan of watching YouTube videos of birds screeching, so I have an idea of how loud difference species can get.

Keep in mind that any bird can constantly make noise.

Muddy

Thank you everyone for your replies... I've been listening to lovebirds on Youtube and their "shrills" are quite ear-aching. lol

I've narrowed my options to cockatiels, budgies, and parrotlets - it's now time to do more research of each of them. :p

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
"Annoying" is relative too. You spend a few years in the thick of lovebirds squawking flock calls and it just becomes a part of life. :p
:loveit: :lol:

You are SOOO right! Most of the time I don't even notice their noise unless everyone is yelling at once (or if it's right in my ear). People are like, "OMG, you can't even hear that?!" Basically I answer their contact calls without thinking about it and just tune the normal chattering out.

My neighbors haven't complained, so it can't be that bad!!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Even the smaller birds can get pretty loud :)

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Our parrotlet isn't noisy at all. A few calls here and there, and a little bit of chatter, and that's it. BUT...not all parrotlets are the same. And for the record, our other parrotlet (who died last summer) was even quieter, but I don't think that's a plus. She was a older bird that we re-homed here, and although quite tame, she never played with toys or sang. She did like to swing, though. Or she quietly perched. I have a feeling she had no toys in her previous home. :(

A lot will depend on the personality of the individual bird and how much you initially spoil him. If he comes to expect too much of your attention, he will call and call and call.... :sour:

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Ive had budgies and now a lovie. Happy can get shrill but i find her noises are somewhat predictacle schedule, first thing in the morning, around supper time, and right before she goes to bed. Its usually loudest in the morning. She occasionally will be loud other times but honestly i love.to.hear her.go.thru her.sounds, budgies noises.drove.me.batty lol

jahpan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
my lovebird is pretty loud is in the morning and during the day, he quiets down about 7pm, parrotlets, which i have one he is MUCH quieter than my lovebird!!

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
My bird is actually quiet enough he startles the house if he gets going. He only sounds off in the morning and when spooked. Otherwise he only chirps here and there.

I think he's still warming up to the house though, but he loves to scare the dogs out of his room with a loud whistle. No worries he is up high and they have to look up to see him

Willow12

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holly
Oh my peacefaced lovebird Rosie she can be supper loud when she wants to be! and yes your ears will start to ring lol but I love her and in fact all my birds can be very loud so I don't think their is a bird out their that is not loud!. :rolleyes:

MIkky doodah

My lone lovebird can be super noisy - he chatters and sings all the time. He can also be volume loud when he shrieks, usually in the morning and late afternoon. For a quieter bird consider a Bourke's parrot - size of a budgie and much quieter :)

Angie8506

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angie
my lovie drama is loud... but i usually know what shes screaming for and give her what she wants and she quiets down haha spoiled much?! my downstairs neighbors havent complained yet, but if they do well then i can complain about their loud music and my lovebird is usually quiet come dark.... she goes to bed so shes within the noise complaint times lol ;)

LemonGrass

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't care what people say, cockatiels are LOUD! They are not as shrill as lovebirds, but man can they go up there. If you need a recording of Tookie screaming let me know lol. Tookie can scream all day. If you are considering cockatiels, please be aware that they are also very dusty birds unlike budgies and parrotlets. My cockatiels constantly turn my black furniture white. It's problematic if you have someone at home who has allergies.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Yes...cockatiels can be loud, esp the males! My male tiels are much louder than my lovebird.

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
Male tiels are madness..... I believe linnies and bourke's are the quieter of small birds. Lovebirds can have a piercing screech, kind of like GCCs