• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newly hatched chick dehydrated?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am glad everything is OK now

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Nah. She’s got it. Enjoy :heart:
Ducking in here again to ask how often should he be pooping? His crop looks good according to photos I've seen but his stomach seems very round as if he's constipated. I saw him poop yesterday and this morning but see nothing from today.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwww so cute.

FYI: a dehydrated chick will have wrinkled skin on his abdomen. He should look "round".

Just in case you need it....I got this recipe from a bird rehabber:

Homemade Pedialyte
1 Cup water (warm, bottled, Non-chlorinated)
3/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Keep his butt clean. If it gets blocked with dry poop, then he can't poop.

Best wishes.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
I tried a gentle warm wipe of his stomach and he still seems blocked up.
Vet?

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
My usual avian vet is out of town. I really have no idea what to do now.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You want to gently wipe his vent (butt/rectum) with the wet paper towel, not his stomach.

I have no experience with parrot chicks. I do have experience with Purple Martin chicks. It looks like your chick gulped in a lot of air during feeding. If this is a first chick for this pair it's possible they haven't learned how to properly feed yet. Let it go & see if it takes care of it's self. If after a day or two at best it's still full of air then you need to call a avian vet.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
You want to gently wipe his vent (butt/rectum) with the wet paper towel, not his stomach.

I have no experience with parrot chicks. I do have experience with Purple Martin chicks. It looks like your chick gulped in a lot of air during feeding. If this is a first chick for this pair it's possible they haven't learned how to properly feed yet. Let it go & see if it takes care of it's self. If after a day or two at best it's still full of air then you need to call a avian vet.
It was definitely air. I felt the air release sort of like a burp. Then it corrected itself and the crop looks great again.

Sometimes when the mother is feeding him, she just stands there with his beak in her mouth and nothing comes out. He continues as if he’s swallowing, however, which must be him gulping air.

I was going to take him to the vet this morning to be honest because it scared me, but the receptionist told me our avian vet is out of town.
I found a alternate vet but when I called he said he had no experience with sour crop and would need to research it.
I appreciate his honesty.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Good grief. These vets!

air in the crop is ok. Sour crop is when it’s enlarging between feedings due to yeast in it.
I don’t recommend pressing the air out.
If you think it’s sour crop go back to hand feeding and mix a bit of applesauce with the food.
Hopefully that won’t happen.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Good grief. These vets!

air in the crop is ok. Sour crop is when it’s enlarging between feedings due to yeast in it.
I don’t recommend pressing the air out.
If you think it’s sour crop go back to hand feeding and mix a bit of applesauce with the food.
Hopefully that won’t happen.
I know. I'm so used to zooming to the vet with a bird whenever an incident happens. I have TWO options within a block of each other.

And neither was available.

Lil stinker is eating his butt off now and still trembling and wheezy, but eating good.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I know. I'm so used to zooming to the vet with a bird whenever an incident happens. I have TWO options within a block of each other.

And neither was available.

Lil stinker is eating his butt off now and still trembling and wheezy, but eating good.
As long as he is eating and pooping and the crop looks good he will be fine.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
As long as he is eating and pooping and the crop looks good he will be fine.
He's eating again and sometimes begs for more even when it seems that his crop is full. His poop was a little paste like this morning but it's back to having water content now.

Is it okay for him to sleep on his back? I read somewhere once that it was fine and sometimes birds do this, but I want to make sure.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is it okay for him to sleep on his back? I read somewhere once that it was fine and sometimes birds do this, but I want to make sure.
I would roll him over and put him next to his sock buddy if you see him on his back.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
I would roll him over and put him next to his sock buddy if you see him on his back.
I made the little dip in his corner a little bigger and also did that. Fixed the problem! I woke up early this morning to get him fed so I could return to sleep then got up for real about an hour ago to find him waiting on me. AC75D704-732C-4B8E-812B-9B92942BA925.jpeg

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Good luck!