• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newly hatched chick dehydrated?

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
I started a new thread since we are on a whole new topic now. I hope that’s okay!
I’ve been reading a lot but would like an experienced opinion.
This chick pipped Saturday evening. He was stuck and I had to assist him this morning.
Neither parent is giving him any feedings but the mother is keeping him warm. She spent most of the day eating and stuffing her face.
Does he NEED anything from me or is he safe to wait. A08EA429-A64B-47E9-A20A-460FA4CFECD6.jpeg BB4480D5-EC2B-496B-ADF2-C106AE346612.jpeg

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I don’t no very much but I would give him I drop or two of corn syrup from your finger

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Do you have formula on hand? If you’re in the US you can get it at the pet store.

I would go ahead and start feeding him. There are plenty of youtube videos on how to feed them. Hopefully you prepared ahead with the tools.

Also - since he had a slightly rocky start, I would use pedialyte in place of the water on every other feeding. This just gives him a little boost.

There’s a little dried poop on him - wet a towel and wipe it 3-4 times. That may stimulate him to poop more, if it’s blocked up that will be helpful.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Do you have formula on hand? If you’re in the US you can get it at the pet store.

I would go ahead and start feeding him. There are plenty of youtube videos on how to feed them. Hopefully you prepared ahead with the tools.

Also - since he had a slightly rocky start, I would use pedialyte in place of the water on every other feeding. This just gives him a little boost.

There’s a little dried poop on him - wet a towel and wipe it 3-4 times. That may stimulate him to poop more, if it’s blocked up that will be helpful.
Thank you! Also i wasn't sure if that was poop or not and was afraid of messing with anything.
I prepared in advance and have formula but not pedialyte.
I basically have everything but the pedialyte and confidence. I'm terrified of aspirating him.

Is a pipette safe to use in place of a syringe?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
What is a pipette Can you give me a photo

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you! Also i wasn't sure if that was poop or not and was afraid of messing with anything.
I prepared in advance and have formula but not pedialyte.
I basically have everything but the pedialyte and confidence. I'm terrified of aspirating him.

Is a pipette safe to use in place of a syringe?
Yes it should work. Be sure to ONLY feed when he is begging.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Yes, I can! Before I run from my laptop to get one, is this video a good reference?

I'm a little worried that the image is mirrored and I'll go in from the wrong side.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Go in fron your right.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You will do fine.
Go slow. It’s gonna take time, don’tn worry about that.

Let him beg - put a drop in - wait. He will mush it around. He will finally beg - another drop.

Don’t push, just a drop at a time.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
No problem @MommyBird - hardly anyone knows. It’s okay I’ve slept like 15 hours of the last 24.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@gamermouse if there is any formula on his beak/face when you’re done, wipe with a wet paper towel. Otherwise it hardens like cement.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Y'all. All that panicking.
I'm in the kitchen heating water in the kettle.
I got out my supplies.
I'm getting my nerves in line, mixing powder into the cup. Got the thermometer in it—
I hear CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP.
I look into the box. Mom is feeding him and he's going to TOWN.

Y'all are a great forum by the way thank you for walking me through this. I promised the family we'd keep these guys and we already got attached to them.

Should I be on standby to see if she gives him enough?