• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

newbie with two IRN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jna709

Moving in
Real Name
jessica
I have two IRN and just wondering more less how old they are? The one on the left we've had since september and the one on the right since sunday.

jna709

Moving in
Real Name
jessica
We change the diet on the one on the left. We notice that the feathers werent looking all that good. Were trying another type of food that has more protein.

jna709

Moving in
Real Name
jessica

This is Kiwi. This is the bird that we've had since september.

Last edited:

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
I dont think theres any way to really tell the age. I adopted a ringneck and hadnt a clue how old she was. They are truly one of my favorite birds tho. Such personlities them! I DO know if theyre older than a couple years (i think) and they havent developed the black ring around their necks, then you have yourself 2 girls =)

jna709

Moving in
Real Name
jessica
Thanks for the respond :). One thing is that there appearances are different. One has more of a "mushroom head" and that one has her pelvic bones separates like a field goal field lol while kiwi his/her bones are more closer together.

platinum

Real Name
Sharon
I'm pretty sure that "Pepper" is a young male, ring just coming in. The other one I'm not sure... you might want to have DNA done just in case.

Blackford

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
I'm pretty sure that "Pepper" is a young male, ring just coming in. The other one I'm not sure... you might want to have DNA done just in case.
I agree :)

I could hazzard a guess that Pepper is coming up to 2 years of age and Kiwi looks around the same but it really is hard to tell...

If Pepper starts to get his black ring next moult then you know for sure he is about 2 years of age :)

They are beautiful :heart:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Indian Ringnecks usually reach sexual maturity at about 3 years old. Apparently the females reach sexual maturity at about 2 years old. Sexing Indian Ringnecks before they reach 3 years old is hard, you are best off DNA sexing them, it costs about $20 to do DNA sexing here, not sure about there, but this place does DNA sexing Avian Services Center: DNA sexing and disease testing for all species of birds. or you can just google DNA sexing parrots.

I have an 1 year old Indian Ringneck, but he is a bit far off from getting his black ring.. if he is a male, I am 100% sure but going to be getting him DNA sexed to see if I am right.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Pepper definitely has more of a hint of a ring than a female would have. I'm gonna guess he's a male. His ring looks exactly like my Male Napoleon who is finishing his first molt. He's about 9 months old. So my guess is Pepper is anywhere from 9 Mos to a year and half???

I think Kiwi is female just from her head shape. Of course this is all just guessing. :)

They're really adorable.

jna709

Moving in
Real Name
jessica
Thanks for the replies!!! The funny part is pepper pelvic is wider then kiwi. When we got kiwi he/she didnt have a line around the neck. Now he/she has a very faded one and the face is changing. Is that a sign of there first moult?

jna709

Moving in
Real Name
jessica
kiwi warmed up pretty quick and has never bitten us to make you bleed when we first brought her home. Pepper in the other hand you have to have a tshirt or towel b/c he/she can make you lose some skin lol.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
The females DO get a ring, only it is just more paler then the males.

Immature birds: Lack the black ring, pink collar, or blue tint on the back of the head. Juveniles also have a coral pink beak with a pale tip. The young reach their adult plumage after their second full molt - at about 3 years of age.
It sounds like Kiwi had a molt, they molt if I remember correctly, once a year.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Pepper I guess is a male and Kiwi is a female. That is my guess. They look young but their is really no 100% way to tell how old they are. Too bad they don't have bands, it's usually on them.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.