• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie to the forum

lou5357

Moving in
Hi there,

I have had Linnies for about 4 years and used to be a member of the linnie forum, but it closed down and I haven't really looked at other sites until now, partly because I had to downsize my 6 birds to two.
My bonded pair have produced their first batch of chicks and feeling quite nervous about the new territory I was entering, I had a look around on the net a week ago - expecting to find a wealth of information about breeding and rearing Linnies - only to find that 4 years on, Linnies seem to be still quite rare, so I am glad I stumbled on 'Linnie Landing.'

Does anyone happen to know why it closed down, or if it merged with another site?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I hope that you enjoy being a member here, and feel free to ask any questions that you have.

Matt

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
The linnie forum closed unexpectedly and as far as I know, no one knows what happened. Welcome. When you say produced their first batch....did they hatch? Are you planning on hand feeding? My two had their first successful clutch (2nd clutch ever) and they raised their own chicks, with me handling them. Is there anything specific you want to ask. There is little info, at least in the U.S., but I pieced together some bits and pieces and just let the birds guide me.

lou5357

Moving in
Thank you both for your welcome. No questions at present - just comforting to know that there's a linnie place in case of problems down the line.
I have 2 chicks; one is approx' 17/18 days old and the other 14 days old. Mom laid 4 eggs but two were either not fertile or died in the early stages as they just disappeared from the nest. I'm not planning on hand feeding.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
What beautiful little dinosaurs!!!! Seeing a baby bird in all its splendor leaves no doubt in my mind they are the decendants of the dinos.

:welave: We absolutely love new Roadies!!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welave:

Your babies are so sweet :cloud9:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hello1: Your babies are adorable! Are you handfeeding or are the parents? They look great!

lou5357

Moving in
Many thanks for the replies; yes, I guess they do look like little dino's! I'll take some more pic's in a couple of days - hopefully they'll look more linnie by then.
No, I'm not handfeeding, but they will be handled a lot once they can keep themselves warm. At the moment I'm bringing them out for a couple of minutes every other day just to check all is well with their growth.
I'm a little concerned about the younger one. S/he's 15 days old and no sign of eyes opening as yet. I read someone's blog that had a caption reading'14 days old, eyes nearly ready to open' and on a different site/thread saying eyes should be open by day 12, so still confused about that, but the older one has had his eyes open for a week and there isn't a week between them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welcome: Your babies are adorable.

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
As long as the chick is growing, I wouldn't worry too much. There isn't much you can do about it....but if there were two other chicks that disappeared, they might very well be a week apart (the first chick and the last)

lou5357

Moving in
You're quite right and, following this post, I took the little'n out to weigh it yesterday and it had its eyes open (little slits, but open!) and is 40 g so has gained 10 g's in 3 days. Certainly feeling a lot less anxious!