• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie Looking at Lovies

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I'm going to look at a pair of "baby" Lovebirds on Friday. If they're the right fit they'll be coming home with me. I have a few questions I hope yall will be able to answer before that time, I've been doing a bunch of research but haven't found the answers to a few of them.

1. I have read everywhere that Lovebirds are loud (depending on the bird). I've been around a cage full of budges, macaws, and am yelled at by an angry Quaker every day. How would they hold up to any of the above? I've been watching Lovebird youtube videos like crazy, but I don't find anything as loud as people say they are, I have heard some that are constant little chirpings and that's not a big bother.

2. One bird or two? I'm in an eternal conflict of what to do. I know if you get one it'll more likely bond to you and with two it'll bond to the other. But they are also aggressive to other birds so adding one at another time may not be best? I just want my future Lovie to be happy, so I am somewhat leaning towards getting the pair and just trying to work double hard... or can they be separated in different cages and have playtime together and once they are hand tamed put them back together?

3. Supplies list for bringing home a Lovebird? What's the best size cage for one (or two) Lovebirds. I'm leaning towards this cage right now and it'll fit perfectly in the space I have set up for it. Amazon.com : Vision Bird Cage Model L01 - Large : Pet Supplies. I plan on grabbing a bag of whatever food they are on now, and slowly introducing pellets.

Thanks in advance for anyone that reads through this short novel!

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Lovebird chirps are very high pitched and go through your ears even though I rehomed mine my African grey mimics the chirp.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I don't find their chirps and chatter too loud, but it can be a bit repetitive. So you'll have to figure out your tolerance for that.
They are great birds to have, and are such silly little, dramatic clowns.
I would suggest housing them separate, as then them bonding won't be as likely.
That cage is a bit on the smaller side, so I'd recommend a larger one especially for two lovies. Perhaps a standard 32x21 flight? A&E, as well as HQ make great ones. Those would be prefect for one or two lovies.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm going to look at a pair of "baby" Lovebirds on Friday. If they're the right fit they'll be coming home with me. I have a few questions I hope yall will be able to answer before that time, I've been doing a bunch of research but haven't found the answers to a few of them.

1. I have read everywhere that Lovebirds are loud (depending on the bird). I've been around a cage full of budges, macaws, and am yelled at by an angry Quaker every day. How would they hold up to any of the above? I've been watching Lovebird youtube videos like crazy, but I don't find anything as loud as people say they are, I have heard some that are constant little chirpings and that's not a big bother.

2. One bird or two? I'm in an eternal conflict of what to do. I know if you get one it'll more likely bond to you and with two it'll bond to the other. But they are also aggressive to other birds so adding one at another time may not be best? I just want my future Lovie to be happy, so I am somewhat leaning towards getting the pair and just trying to work double hard... or can they be separated in different cages and have playtime together and once they are hand tamed put them back together?

3. Supplies list for bringing home a Lovebird? What's the best size cage for one (or two) Lovebirds. I'm leaning towards this cage right now and it'll fit perfectly in the space I have set up for it. Amazon.com : Vision Bird Cage Model L01 - Large : Pet Supplies. I plan on grabbing a bag of whatever food they are on now, and slowly introducing pellets.

Thanks in advance for anyone that reads through this short novel!
1. I wouldn't call lovebirds loud, or high pitched. They chatter sometimes, but it's rarely nonstop and I don't find it unpleasant. The worst Luna does is in the morning when she does her little flock call to let me know she's awake. Others here have had similar experiences, from what I've garnered from this forum in the last few weeks.

2. If you are getting baby lovies, they could end up hating each other when they reach maturity anyway. They *are* aggressive, so if you do get two, be prepared for the possibility of separating them later on if you don't do so from the get go. I personally like the idea of having the two, but in different cages with communal out time. I only have the one, and she is very bonded to me. One thing to consider with just having the one bird is if they will cope with a decent amount of alone time, assuming you work and the house stays empty during the weekday. I would suggest that two is better than one in this scenario. I am lucky to have people home almost all of the time, so Luna is never alone. I think I would have considered buying another one if that were different.

3. You will want a good, wide cage (go for width over height). Flight cages are good, but bigger is better. A bar spacing of about 1/2 inch is good. Does your breeder not ween them onto pellets? They really should if they don't. regardless, try and get some of whatever they have them on to start with (as you mentioned) and work your way in to adding pellets and fresh vegetables. It can take some convincing to get them into fresh. In my experience, fruit is not a favorite, though I've managed to sneak a lot of it into my bird's diet via the powers of birdie bread. Luna also loves corn. She would eat corn all day if she could. And most green things. In the morning I try and get her to eat vegetable mixes with various cooked grains and sprouts. Some days are more successful than others.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@LunaLovebird gave you excellent advice!

I agree that lovebirds aren't that loud, nor do they chatter constantly. Mine vocalize mostly to call to me or let me know that they're excited. I have 6, and none of my neighbors (apartment) have ever complained, even when I lived in a 1-bedroom. Some people think their noises are intolerable because of the pitch, but I don't have a problem with them. Too, each bird's voice varies. Beni and Turnip have more high-pitched voices than my other boys.

I also vote for caging them separately but having communal playtime.

People often don't realize how much space birds need. I agree that a standard 32x21 flight cage is the size to go with.

Food can be tricky! But definitely focus on getting your little ones to eat pellets, veggies, cooked grains, and sprouts. Be careful about pesticides (I'd only feed organic if you can choose), and wash well. Know the list of things that are toxic or not recommended.

Supplies list...swings, bells, shreddable toys, a variety of natural wood perches (rope perches and boings are good as well, just trim loose ends). We have lots of great vendors on AA, and some offer discounts! (Marketplace forum has a list and profiles for each store.)

Do you know abut household hazards as well? Teflon, cleaners, fragrances, etc?

I hope you end up joining us in the lovie lovers club! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
About an hour ago Luna very kindly reminded me that their squeals can be painful if done directly in one's ear. I was giving her a bean; it was very exciting.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
About an hour ago Luna very kindly reminded me that their squeals can be painful if done directly in one's ear. I was giving her a bean; it was very exciting.
:loltears: Aww, the little angel screeched right in your ear? Sometimes they take great care with positioning that little beak just so for maximum effect! :D I find they really enjoy doing it when they're young. I think they like to see the human jump or exclaim, lol. It's like a game for them. :p My older birds have mostly grown out of that, but every once in a while, they'll do it. I remind them that their mama won't be able to hear the songs of their people if they keep it up! ;)

@Moshimaru Lovies are very clever and playful and can make anything a game, especially finding creative ways to pester their humans! :D

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
:loltears: Aww, the little angel screeched right in your ear? Sometimes they take great care with positioning that little beak just so for maximum effect! :D I find they really enjoy doing it when they're young. I think they like to see the human jump or exclaim, lol. It's like a game for them. :p My older birds have mostly grown out of that, but every once in a while, they'll do it. I remind them that their mama won't be able to hear the songs of their people if they keep it up! ;)

@Moshimaru Lovies are very clever and playful and can make anything a game, especially finding creative ways to pester their humans! :D
Angel. Riiiiight.

She got me directly in the ear, yep. She then peered around to look at me and make sure I noticed. I did. It's all part of her happy flappy dance.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
My lovebird used to chirp very high pitched and it would go right through your ears and the chirp lasts for about 10-15 seconds and then little small chirps after that still high pitched.

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
In terms of noise, I have no problem with the squeaks but some of the non-bird people might not be a fan, as depicted by my floor mate who is a very patient saint. :D

Mine has three volumes:
The first is when she's speaking and chattering which is normal conversation tone and not very audible from closed doors.

The second is when she's chastising me for leaving her when I've got to leave the room and can't bring her with me or just simple play.
She can be heard a floor away but all connecting doors are opened. This is the most frequent of the three noises.

The third is when she's either
offended by some infraction she deems exceptionally serious - I've tried to feed her an evil piece of broccoli or cleaned her favourite rope perch while she's in a bad mood. This one gets serious when she hears the flock of birds outside (my window is beside a cedar bush) and can in fact be heard from 2 floors away.

If it were not for her trying to get in contact with the outside flock, I would deem Gem to be a semi-quiet bird. So in all, lovies can be quiet, but it's not a guarantee.

Best of luck if you adopt the two babies! :)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Angel. Riiiiight.

She got me directly in the ear, yep. She then peered around to look at me and make sure I noticed. I did. It's all part of her happy flappy dance.
She just wanted to make sure her mama heard her sweet chirpy nothings! :D I love their feisty, punky little personalities! Too funny. :)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@JaclynBin Twinkie is loudest when he's trying to share his joy of being alive and being a gorgeous Twinkie. :D Usually in the afternoon if he's going to, but every once in a while, it's a morning thing (like today). He was not a sleepy boy today, he was a crazy boy!

If I had to choose my overall loudest bird, however, it would be Turnip.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Applebutter I agree, but I think a lot of people complain about the pitch of the squeaks. Lovies don't make constant noise or reach the kind of volume that even a GCC is capable of.

I do have comparatively quieter and louder birds in my swarm, and birds who vocalize more or less than the others. Each would need a different rating because the one that squeaks the most doesn't necessarily have the loudest squeak.

Moshimaru

Avenue Veteran
Thank you all for the suggestions! I have found a different, local breeder buy some weird happenstance, and she has four babies to choose from and have been handled daily since birth (or hatch? lol).

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
I think lovebirds are much louder than conures.My lovebird was louder than my grey lol well my grey dosent make any natural sounds.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think lovebirds are much louder than conures.My lovebird was louder than my grey lol well my grey dosent make any natural sounds.
This might have been your experience with your one former lovebird, but I think most people who have been around both would beg to differ.