• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New w/ a U2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunnyside

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janice
Hi all, I'm in the process of adopting an 8 year old male U2, he's the sweetest little boy ever and I can't wait to bring him home in a little over a week. Currently he's being called bird brain. I don't care for the name, so I'm trying to come up with something better. So far we have "Atreyu" after the hero from Never Ending Story, then there's Einstein and BamBang,which is indonesian for Knight. Hermes, or Jester. It's not quite an easy thing to come up with. I am spending as much time over with his current owner as I can, so he's used to me when he comes home, although at the first visit he was climbing all over me and giving me kisses, doing this adorable dance, just generally being a clown and very cuddly. I can't wait to go back over tomorrow and have some more time to visit with him, although I'm a little worried that his current mommy will get tired of me being over there all the time LOL. I've already got tons of toys, on top of what he's already coming with, and a vet visit lined up to make sure he's in good health and get him micro chipped. Now I just need to get through the waiting period!
Meghanne
Hi. I am new here also and when I read this I had to reply. My first U2 was a 8 yr old male also and he looks just like your boy! I don't know if anyone told you (no one told me), but for the first month or so when he comes he will be in a 'honeymoon' stage. I was sucked in during this period and it really caused me great pain and confusion. I wish someone would of told me to leave my U2 alone when I first got him and to let him settle in. I know that sounds like common sense but when you are sitting there with a little fuzz butt holding out a leg to be picked up it is very hard to refuse. But, anyway, congrats on your U2, he is gorgeous!

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hey and welcome to the forum! Your new (soon to be anyways) birdy is absolutely stunning!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Welcome to the Avenue! I can't wait to hear more about your U2! Very cute pictures!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Welcome to the neighborhood, Meghanne. Your new fid is gorgeous! I hope you share many exciting and happy years together.

Attachments

melana

Moving in
Real Name
Meghanne
Hey thanks guys! We are going with Jester after all, it just fits him. We should be bringing him home about a week from Friday, I can't wait! I am leaning up a spot right next to my bed for his cage and I'll be buying him a portable stand so he can be with me in the rest of the house as well. He is an incredibly happy Too, and that's what settled me between him an an Eclectus hen. I've devouring all the information I can get, and it's one of the reasons I've joined this forum, there's a lot to learn on my own, but there comes a point when all the info you read online becomes redundant and you need to talk to actual owners and find out the low down on actually living with these beautiful birds.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Just a word of advice. Too's need to be in the middle of everything, but they also need 12 hours of uninterrupted nite nite time, so I would suggest a cage in the Family room/acitivty spot and a sleep cage in a quiet dark spot away from all the traffic. Truely's sleep cage is in the masterbath. It doesnt have to be a big one, but it allows her to unwind from the day's events and get the sleep she needs away from the TV, talking, etc.

Ginger

melana

Moving in
Real Name
Meghanne
Thanks for that advice Ginger. I am going to put his cage in my room, as that's where I work while the kids are at school, and then set up a couple of play areas in the kitchen/living room areas for when I'm cleaning. I've gotten rid of all my teflon except my stock pot that I make soups in, as I don't heat that up too much. Here's some more pictures of Jester :)

Attachments

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Jester is a sweetie. Just be very very very careful when allowing him near your children. I really want to stress that. You don't know him well enough to allow close contact. He is at the age for hormones, and cockatoo hormones are darn scary. The potential for unpredictable behaviors and biting is very real. And cockatoo bites are the worst.

Anywho, is that his outdoor playstand? Does he come with it? It's very nice and big and creative.

Last edited:

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Jester is a sweetie. Just be very very very careful when allowing him near your children. I really want to stress that. You don't know him well enough to allow close contact. He is at the age for hormones, and cockatoo hormones are darn scary. The potential unpredictable is very real. And cockatoo bites are the worst.

Anywho, is that his outdoor playstand? Does he come with it? It's very nice and big and creative.
I have to strongly second the suggestion about being careful having him around your children! We've experienced it first hand with two different U2's. My oldest daughter(who's 17) has multiple scars on her face and nerve damage in her hand from our U2. I don't say that to scare you, just to warn you. It can happen so very fast and for seemingly no reason at all. It took our U2 3 months to really settle in and still every day is something new and different with him.

Good luck! I love our U2 and wouldn't trade him for anything!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'll third that. In time (many months) when you truly know her moods and body language, can read her well and predict most of her behaviors, then you can let your guard down with her around the kids but at this point you "do not" know her well enough and can't know without putting in that time.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Just wanted to put this out there, if you are going to keep him in your bedroom, invest in a GOOD air purifier for your own health. :)

melana

Moving in
Real Name
Meghanne
Having him in my room is also because of the kids, I only had him and her together long enough to take the pictures and I was two feet away. I am going to be extremely careful with him around the kids, they will never be left alone together, I've seen the bites. I'm also working on teaching them about bird behavior and how to move and be around them. I spent some time asking her about his bratty side, and she says he gets into his little tantrums, but they only last abut 10 minutes, she puts him back in his cage and leaves him alone and he will calm down. I asked her about his beak and she says she trims both his beak and nails herself, and she also does his wings. I've contacted a vet and as soon as I have him he'll be going in for a check up. I WISH that outside set up was coming with me! But no, she also has a Macaw rescue that uses it. I guess that's why she's selling Jester, because the macaw and him don't get along and the macaw has a lot of work to be done. She doesn't feel that moving him to another home would help in his recovery. The poor guy was fully plucked when she got him 8 months ago, and now he's got his back and wing feathers back, but his chest and legs are still bare. Poor guy.

melana

Moving in
Real Name
Meghanne
Oh, and she made that herself, she found an old patio swing someone threw out and made it with that...I think lol. I'm going to look at it more and see if I can't come up with a smaller version for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.