• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to the forum with DYA

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiseb

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everybody, I was a member over at the Perch and got hit with the store's problems.

I have a DYA, Picasso. He is 10 years old, and I've had him for a little over a year. He belonged to a family member who was unable to take care of him anymore and she asked me to take him because I was the only one in the family who ever showed an interest in him. I would work with him when I visited until he would let me handle him. I talked to my vet who luckily does birds and other exotics and did a lot of research and decided to adopt him. I have 7 dogs and live alone, and I wanted to be sure I could provide him everything he needed. We had a bumpy time at the beginning of course, but things run pretty smoothly now and I think he is very happy. I love the little guy very much, as I knew I would. :heart:

As an aside, last summer I volunteered for a week at Best Friends sanctuary in Utah and spent 2 days in their bird area, it was a great experience.

Last edited:

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Welcome to the neighborhood Louise. Looking forward to meeting Picasso when you start hanging up some pics. DYA's are such clowns.

Attachments

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome I am glad you joined :hug8:

Blazeybird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Houston
Welcome! I know you will love it here.

\

As an aside, last summer I volunteered for a week at Best Friends sanctuary in Utah and spent 2 days in their bird area, it was a great experience.
Where in Utah? I am originally from the Bountiful area, then later on lived in Sandy and Lehi, kind of around the mountain ;) I know of the Tracy Aviary thats in SLC but not of any others.

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Louise welcome! Can't wait to see a photo of Picasso. Always glad to welcome more Zons to the neighborhood :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wel come aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome!! Great to have you in the neighborhood :) Looking forward to pics :laughing12:

:welcomesign:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hi Louise, and Welcome. You will love it here. Have fun exploring the neighborhood and meeting all the neighbors. Would love to see pics of your Picasso.

louiseb

Checking out the neighborhood
Welcome! I know you will love it here.

Where in Utah? I am originally from the Bountiful area, then later on lived in Sandy and Lehi, kind of around the mountain ;) I know of the Tracy Aviary thats in SLC but not of any others.
It is just outside Kanab, 4 hour drive from Las Vegas. Best Friends is a large sanctuary< 5 square miles and they lease 30,000 acres from the state for a wildlife sanctuary. They have several areas for different animals, are most known for Dogtown, which has a show on NatGeo in it's 4th season I think. They got a lot of national publicity when they took the worst 22 Michael Vick pitbulls for rehab.

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome! I will get pix up eventually.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
WELCOME and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Status
Not open for further replies.