• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to site and new birdie mama

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdieMama

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
Hi. I've been lurking here for a little bit now and I have really enjoyed this site. I figured it's time for me to introduce myself.

My name's Nancy and our family just adopted a Yellow Crowned Amazon (also named Nancy!) that is somewhere around 12-15 years old. I've never owned a parrot before but have spent some time around birds at work. Well, someone came in to our office and asked if we knew of anyone that would be interested in adopting this bird. I went to meet the bird to see what I thought and ended up bringing her home. It's been a wonderful first month! I think I'm addicted!

I'm still trying to figure out if we can change her name without causing too much confusion. When we say her name, she doesn't act like she recognizes it as her name. We've called her Nance, Baby and Birdie but they haven't really stuck. It does get confusing when people are talking to her because I keep answering. Any name ideas are welcome...

Nancy and Nancy

:yca:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Welcome and congratulations on your new amazon!! Yes, you can change her name just simply start calling her the new name, say her new name when scratching her or giving her treats. She will pick up on it easily!

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:hello: and :welave: Nancy and Nancy. LOL, that is too funny you both have the same name.

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Hi Nancy, Welcome!

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hi Nancy and Nancy! Welcome. I love that you adopted an amazon. It's so easy to become addicted to these wonderful beings. I think it's cute that you two share the same name, but I can see how it can be confusing. How about changing her name to something similar, like Clancy or Yancy? That might not work, they sound like boy names. You'll think of something. Can't wait to hear stories about your girl and we really, really like pictures here (hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Welcome to the Avenue and congrats on entering the wonderful world of birds!

Cydney

Real Name
Cydney
Welcome Nancy squared. :)

Sort of continuing on with the rhyming... how about Fancy? Or maybe one that sounds sort of similar with two syllables and an -i or -y end like Darcy? I'd just try different names until you both find one you like.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
Welcome! Do you have photos of birdie Nancy to share? Are you sure she's a 'she'? Before you change her name, maybe a DNA test is in order:hehe:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Welcome to the Avenue!!

would love to see pics of your new featherbaby!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome!!!!!!!!!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome I am glad you joined :hug8:

BirdieMama

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
Thanks for the welcome! I uploaded a couple of pictures of Nancy.
We were discussing names again today and also discussed that we don't know for sure that she's a she. I'll be taking her for a check-up soon and will ask for a DNA test. I've also been reading everyone's posts about hormonal behavior and mating behavior. She is addicted to our carpet in our hallway. If she gets off her cage she immediately heads for the carpet and does her "little love dance". I was trying to find out if that little dance is a she dance or a he dance. As far as I know, she's never proved herself to be a she by laying an egg or anything.

Nancy

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
Awww...Nancy is cute! I think
she looks like a 'she'..or a very full-bodied 'he'. To me she
just has a hens body and a feminine face. It will be interesting to see what the DNA test proves...

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome Nancy!! Great to have you and your Nancy bird here :) Thank you for giving her a good home :D

:welcomesign:

Status
Not open for further replies.