• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to group

JamieBird

Moving in
Real Name
Danielle Goodall
Hello! My names Danielle, my black capped conure is Jamie. I adopted Jamie a couple months back. I was at a pet store and they were hating on her, trying to desperately get rid of her because she was "aggressive." I couldn't resist but feel I could help her. She's still a baby but I immediately saw flaws with their treatment for her. They kept her all alone on a cage with no toys, didn't want to take her out because she would bite, and left her by a loud speaker playing upbeat music :( I'd probably be mean too!!!

Since I've had her in my care, I've seen major improvements! She is no cuddle bug but LOVES attention. She does not like being in her cage and will come seak people out if she hears them. She wants to be with you!
No more cage aggression! No longer terrified of my hands, and almost no more aggressive biting. She still does on occation, she's still pretty timid but it's a significant change! She's hesitate at this point but has just recently began to let us pet her. But don't over do it!

I love her! And she's taught me so much! And I'm so unbelievably proud of her improvements. 20170329_091252.jpg Screenshot_20161228-164404.png

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! So nice of you to help this bird out! She looks very happy with you. :)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Its so nice when you see a turn around like that ..best of luck with her :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Thank you for taking Jamie into your home. It's wonderful that you have made a lot of progress with her. Very pretty black-capped.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Jamie!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Welcome, you're both my kind of "people"!
:yourock:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Welcome to AA! I can totally feel you on having a conure whose personality practically transformed. Great job!

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
So glad you got her out of there! Welcome to the Avenue!

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
I'm so happy for both of you! What a good job you found her, I just hate to hear how she was being treated.

She must be so relieved to be in her new home - how quickly her behaviour is changing! She's beautiful - good luck!

JamieBird

Moving in
Real Name
Danielle Goodall
Thank you all! The more I get to know her the more my heart aches that she went through such hate. I love her so much and every improvement I see in her is such a rewarding feeling! Shes truly inspired me, she helps me understand her and teaches me so much, in the mist of me trying to help her, she's opened my eyes. I hope my experiences will help others, as well as I hope there will be others in here that can further share experience with me and give tips or things that have worked for them!

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
You're right - like you I've read loads of books, on-line stuff etc, but reading the experiences of people on AA has taught me so much more. I'm still preparing to get a gcc, and I can't wait, but there are so many pitfalls...I start to question my ability and then I read a story like yours and I think 'just do it!!' You've made such a difference to that little bird's life, and you're learning the real stuff as you go. We all learn all the time by sharing our experiences, that's what it's all about. I look forward to hearing about Jamie's progress!

JamieBird

Moving in
Real Name
Danielle Goodall
Thank you! That means a lot. There's hard days no doubt. But it's not something that happens overnight. The patience is paying off, and the process is going so much quicker then I expected which tells me that she's a great bird and she has a lot going for her (or him.) I'll keep logging her improvements and definitely share our journey together. Groups like these I look forward to expanding me further. Like you said, books only get you so far. But reading others experiences can open many more doors!

Magisceris

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Magisceris Rose
That is a beautiful birdy miss, I can't stand how some pet stores lock all their birds away as if they don't want to fly free or play. Birdy's gotta have toys and attention!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I can relate to the pet store haters. When we got our Aries it was a similar situation they were afraid to even open his cage. They said he bit through a bite glove and drew blood on an employee. He is still afraid of towels since they handled him roughly with them. They told us we could return him also which I found appalling. Well needless to say we never used gloves on him and didn't return him. He has never drawn blood on any of us and is a wonderful friend that just needed some patience, love, and attention. Glad you rescued Jamie and got her out of that situation she is a beauty!!

Dawn :smileflower:

:jenday:- Aries