• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to blog and want to learn all I can.

Kstonetoo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Karyn Stone
Hello, I have just started my education. I have fostered African Greys and many years ago had Parakeets and Cockatiels. My goal is to have an outside aviary approximately 12 feet by 12 feet in a protected area of my yard. I like all birds but want to do this the right way from the beginning and make as few mistakes as possible. I'm starting with a clean slate! Ideally, I would like an area that creates plenty of room and happy birds. I would also like to create an area that supports nesting if my birds choose to participate. Breeding birds to sell is not my goal but watching the process is amazing. I have been researching Paroletts, Linnies, and smaller parrotts. So, I have a lot of questions. Everything from what is the best material to use in the bottom of the aviary, where to buy a pair of birds from a great breeder, and can birds be safely shipped? I am currently looking at rescue sites also. I appreciate anyone who has the time to guide me along. Oh, and I live in southern Oregon and by the ocean, hence the "protected area" in my yard. Thanks to everyone in advance who can help me. Karyn

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome! :smileflower:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome!

Kstonetoo

Real Name
Karyn Stone
Hello, I was in a pet store today and they had green cheek conures. Two had dark bills and two had much lighter bills. Why is that? Age? Sex?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Something to keep in mind is that you should not ever breed related birds- when you buy them from the same place or at the same time they are often related unless you have already spoken to the (hopefully trustworthy) breeder who has sourced you a pair of unrelated birds.
Breeding, although lovely to watch (when it goes right) really should not be allowed unless it has been planned properly and you are prepared for any issue that may be likely to arise- very stressful trying to keep babies alive (if they are rejected by parents or the parents are not good at parenting etc) when you don't have all the equipment and supplies needed on hand.

Beak colours and also some beak colour changes can be related to age, health, species etc. Without knowing any info or if the birds are related or what they looked like it is hard to say for the ones you saw.

Kstonetoo

Real Name
Karyn Stone
Something to keep in mind is that you should not ever breed related birds- when you buy them from the same place or at the same time they are often related unless you have already spoken to the (hopefully trustworthy) breeder who has sourced you a pair of unrelated birds.
Breeding, although lovely to watch (when it goes right) really should not be allowed unless it has been planned properly and you are prepared for any issue that may be likely to arise- very stressful trying to keep babies alive (if they are rejected by parents or the parents are not good at parenting etc) when you don't have all the equipment and supplies needed on hand.

Beak colors and also some beak colour changes can be related to age, health, species etc. Without knowing any info or if the birds are related or what they looked like it is hard to say for the ones you saw.

Yes, I agree. That's why I'm trying to learn as much as possible, and not just jump in. Thank you for the information. I asked the gal at the pet store why they had different colored beaks and she didn't know. I thought it was probably age-related. My husband and I have a month's vacation planned in Europe this summer. So, I have several months to do my research. I was also considering an aviary-type bird rescue. I'm not willing to take on large parrots, even though macaws and cockatoos are the two in most need. All I know is I love birds and want to include them. Heck, I might end up with Finches! I love the little beeping noise they make. I have the time and I have the money so I'll figure it out. Thanks again!