• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Severe Macaw Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Awww wow that was a good bite. My Malachi was also abused but he has turned out to be wonderful. I love Malachi and I would not trade him for anything. Cody will be a handful but I already got him stepping up last night. He is still afraid and want to go back to his cage but he didn't bite me. He was aggressive at first but I read his body language and waited until he settled down from the excitement of me opening the cage door. He then stepped up on my and let me pet his head briefly before he was leaning and trying to get back to this cage. He is doing well for the first few days. I am still working on switching his food to a healthier diet little by little.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
thank god you have him now...thank god...I am weeping for him...look at his eyes...they are screaming help me help me..dear god..people are so heartless

SkyBaby

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kira
Aww.. that poor baby.. kudos to you for taking him in. He'll be so much happier and healthier.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Bless him! ...& you! :heart:

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
oh Yes they have the worst bite. I rescued a Severe from an abusive home. he was the toughest bbird I ever dealt with. I turned my back to get something for him once and he took a chunk out of my back the size of a Quarter. it was definatly the worst bite I've ever had from a bird and I've rescued lots. He did come around but it took over a year to be a not to bad a bird. Severe Macaws are one bird that they should have left in the wild IMHO Most of them do not make good pets.
I'm glad you posted this. I couldn't put it in quite the same way but I agree with you completely. I know people who have had great relationships with their Severes, but most of the stories I come across are sad. They are probably the most rehomed macaw given their numbers in the pet trade. Severes rate with some of the cockatoos in the amount of commitment and patience required to properly provide for the bird. Most people simply have no clue what's in store for them.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Awww wow that was a good bite. My Malachi was also abused but he has turned out to be wonderful. I love Malachi and I would not trade him for anything. Cody will be a handful but I already got him stepping up last night. He is still afraid and want to go back to his cage but he didn't bite me. He was aggressive at first but I read his body language and waited until he settled down from the excitement of me opening the cage door. He then stepped up on my and let me pet his head briefly before he was leaning and trying to get back to this cage. He is doing well for the first few days. I am still working on switching his food to a healthier diet little by little.
I think it is unbelievable and amazing that he has already agreed to step up and even if he wanted to go right back in, coming out was such a huge step for him. That is so great. I hope he continues to improve.:hug8:

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
I'm glad you posted this. I couldn't put it in quite the same way but I agree with you completely. I know people who have had great relationships with their Severes, but most of the stories I come across are sad. They are probably the most rehomed macaw given their numbers in the pet trade. Severes rate with some of the cockatoos in the amount of commitment and patience required to properly provide for the bird. Most people simply have no clue what's in store for them.
I agree, I had never particually liked severes enough to have one until I got Malachi and I think it is just a fluke that he is soooo good. I think that someone should only get a severe if they have had experience with them. I know Cody's adopters will be required to foster him for 90 days to make sure he will fit in with their family. But for now he is going to be her for a little while until I get a chance to work through these behavioral issues.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I agree, I had never particually liked severes enough to have one until I got Malachi and I think it is just a fluke that he is soooo good. I think that someone should only get a severe if they have had experience with them. I know Cody's adopters will be required to foster him for 90 days to make sure he will fit in with their family. But for now he is going to be her for a little while until I get a chance to work through these behavioral issues.
I know you will have success with this Severe. He couldn't be in better hands. :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jen, the photos say it all. He looks lost and scared. Love his little fluffed head though. Unde your care I'm sure he will blossom.
My girlfriend adopted a severe that was abused. Jellybean is doing grat, though he is a nipper at times. There is definitley hope for him.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I agree JUdy. Cody has that terrible look in his eyes that says, "What will be done to me this time?".
ML

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
Oh man. I can't believe somebody would treat any animal like that. I have a particular weak spot for severes. Quirky but such angels when they want to be. I wish you much luck with him.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I agree JUdy. Cody has that terrible look in his eyes that says, "What will be done to me this time?".
ML
UGHHH YOU'RE RIGHT!!! :sad8: :sad5:

Little does he know, though!!! :swoon:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jen, bless your heart for working with him. This thread made me cry. He's such a beautiful boy, too :(

K&J Birds

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
J.T.
Thats terrible, Jen sweety!! At least you've got him now!! he looks like he'll thrive in your care!!!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Just a thought on toys and I am sure you have a lot of great ideas also. Of all the macaws I have dealt with severes seem more into being on ropes and balancing on them. When given the choice I have seen them choose going over a rope more than any other type of perch or play area. Crawlers or nets are wonderful and they would stay there all day and play. If not available I have used a boing with a twist to loosen the braid I then stuff food into the creases.

I have taken braided rope and strung it from one surface to another with toys wedged in.

Or send the bird to John....he would love Johns bird play area set up!!!! How do I know this...mine have their bags packed ready to visit John.

One more thought...training. When you have an animal that is great but are harder to manage as most people would manage them why not have the people learn some training skills. One breed of dog I have can be stubborn and the breeder requires at least a basic dog training course. For a species of bird that is known to require a higher level of training skills why not have them let you know what training they have had, do they know any training techniques and if not ask them to visit have them work and teach a parlor trick to the bird. There are some simple things that can be taught or learned in just 20 minutes. My mantra is "DO NOT TAKE THE BITE" and I really believe that. People need to know not to push, have patience and know how to encourage a bird towards behaviors that mesh with their environment.

Regarding severes...they are so cute, funny, clever, intelligent, have a mind of their own, get bored easily, love to play play play, are very food motivated and can be truly loving. Have someone that understands this about them and work with their wonderful traits...you then have a fantastic bird... I see them in some ways like a border collie...are great at performance sports. Not the type of animal you want going to a sedentary life style. They need a job and to be kept busy and I think this is where people go wrong getting severes....just like the high rate of border collies in rescue people don't understand them or their needs but in the right home are both fantastic animals.

Peggy

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:( Yikes! Very sad sad thread:(

Status
Not open for further replies.