• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New ringneck mom

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Hello everyone!
I’m a new ringneck mommy and I'm in love!!!!!!!

background:
Found this baby on the st, beat up and missing his tail. Vet said he wasn’t in a good place and wasn’t being taken care of. So sad.
Got her some care and with some love she now comes just to me, let’s me smooch her beak and is chirpy as heck hahaha. My vet said he couldn’t believe how quick she warmed up. She was a mean little thing lol

I want to be the best I can be for her. So please!! Anything will help! Throw it all at me! Even if I already know it, I don’t care....what should I know? Look out for? Body language? Notices and their meanings....stuff around the house and food.. anything!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Jas! 1.welcome signs.gif

Wonderful of you to take in this bird :)

Anything will help! Throw it all at me! Even if I already know it, I don’t care....what should I know? Look out for? Body language? Notices and their meanings....stuff around the house and food.. anything!!
Have you ever lived with parrots before? It could help us not talk about basics and focus more on species specifics.
@cassiesdad @fashionfobie @rockoko

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Welcome to the Avenue Jas! View attachment 385493

Wonderful of you to take in this bird :)

Have you ever lived with parrots before? It could help us not talk about basics and focus more on species specifics.
@cassiesdad @fashionfobie @rockoko

to be honest, no, Never. But it only took me about 5 min to get rid of a lot of stuff. Lol I’m already an organic girl but this is def a lot more than I expected... I’m totally ok with it just wish I knew it all already for her safety. If I don’t know I just keep it away until I do. Doesn’t mean I can’t harm her and not even know it. That’s

but please!!! Load me up with info, I’d love all the help I can get.

thank u so much

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the forum! Thank you for giving her another chance. Poor little birb, I can't imagine what she went through.

IRN need a continuous supply of wood chews. There will be lots of toys at pet shops with plastic and metal parts, those won't work for beak conditioning. You always should have wood available. There are wonderful vendors in the forum that have amazing products, check out some that focus on toys. SeriouslyNutz offers a lot of variation in wood chews and can help you find the exact texture your bird loves :)

To give you an idea of the importance of chews, your little IRN girl should spend as much time chewing as she does eating. It helps with beak health and mental health- stress reliever, boredom buster and simply fun!

I am excited to learn more about your bird and your shared story together.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Welcome to the forum! Thank you for giving her another chance. Poor little birb, I can't imagine what she went through.

IRN need a continuous supply of wood chews. There will be lots of toys at pet shops with plastic and metal parts, those won't work for beak conditioning. You always should have wood available. There are wonderful vendors in the forum that have amazing products, check out some that focus on toys. SeriouslyNutz offers a lot of variation in wood chews and can help you find the exact texture your bird loves :)

To give you an idea of the importance of chews, your little IRN girl should spend as much time chewing as she does eating. It helps with beak health and mental health- stress reliever, boredom buster and simply fun!

I am excited to learn more about your bird and your shared story together.

ya I’ve noticed she likes them better and stays entertained more. So I’ll keep buying those. I do have a few plastics chains with bells and she shakes them so hard and jumps around them lol. So cute!

I’ll def look into SeriouslyNutz and some of the others! Thanks

I’m excited for her to grow more comfortable...hopefully that happens cause she does snap a little bite.

a vet told me not to have her on my shoulder because she will try and be dominate ..... do I know if that’s true?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
a vet told me not to have her on my shoulder because she will try and be dominate ..... do I know if that’s true?
I disagree with the view that she will dominate. Parrots are not like chickens, dogs or humans, they don't have the same social structure. IRN are especially gregarious, very social- though of course they do squabble over food etc, but they don't dominate each other- there isn't an "alpha" parrot if you know what I mean, even if one has more leadership in a group it is nothing like what humans mean by dominate. However, if you have a bird that bites it is good to avoid shoulders. If she decided to bite when at your shoulder it could harm you and that isn't good for anyone. Try and keep her at your arm and not above the elbow until you know her better. The best thing is to just take it easy and to have zero expectations. You will be on bird time from now on and supporting her interests will be the most rewarding part of caring for her. Provide ample choices for her and respect what she decides. Her intelligence and curiosity will give you years of toy rotations, lovely fresh produce prep and exciting birdo moments. Enjoy the experience :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Hi and welcome to the Avenue!
IRNs are wonderful birds....we had the pleasure of living with Titan, Ringneck for 26 years!
IRNs are intelligent...and independent.That combination really doesn't make them a popular species, which is a shame.
Titan was your typical male IRN...smart and very well mannered...if a bit reserved around every...at least at. the beginning.
When he discovered that he was a small human,that all changed...at about 3 months old. (we got him from a breeder as a hand fed 2 month old.
He was still well mannered...but he become less a loner and more a family
member.
Anyway, it seems like your little one has gotten to "that" stage...that's great!
Since she's been to a vet ( and everything checked out OK) my thought is keep on keeping on! Lots of chewable toys are great for them...and you have to interact with them as much as you can. Because they are so intelligent ( and curious), they get bored easily...you must intellectually challenge them every chance you get!
If you treat them AS an equal flock member, they will definitely respond in kind..Titan was living proof of that.
Oh yes...girls tend to be a bit more "zesty" than boys....so be aware that she will challenge sometime soon! As for bluffing...remember...IRNs DO NOT BLUFF! Bluffing is just a part of their body language...some of which, no doubt, you've already seen!
Defintely use caution when she's on yor shoulder...not because of dominance issues...but because birds are easily driven- FOR SOME REASON- to bite!
We were lucky...Titan never bit anyone...ever...we were lucky!
Ww' d love to see pics...and what's her name...we must properly welcome her!

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
I disagree with the view that she will dominate. Parrots are not like chickens, dogs or humans, they don't have the same social structure. IRN are especially gregarious, very social- though of course they do squabble over food etc, but they don't dominate each other- there isn't an "alpha" parrot if you know what I mean, even if one has more leadership in a group it is nothing like what humans mean by dominate. However, if you have a bird that bites it is good to avoid shoulders. If she decided to bite when at your shoulder it could harm you and that isn't good for anyone. Try and keep her at your arm and not above the elbow until you know her better. The best thing is to just take it easy and to have zero expectations. You will be on bird time from now on and supporting her interests will be the most rewarding part of caring for her. Provide ample choices for her and respect what she decides. Her intelligence and curiosity will give you years of toy rotations, lovely fresh produce prep and exciting birdo moments. Enjoy the experience :)

aawww that was sweet! Ok ya she tried to bite once while on my shoulder. She walked around the front of my chest when I made a noise she didn’t like it, almost got me.. otherwise she climbs up my belly and it seems likes she’s licking my cheek, then nibbles on my ear and hair.

ok one more question, sorry....
She is on one leg and I notice she looks like she’s trembling sometimes.... like her belly looks like she’s shivering sometimes... is that ok??

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
aawww that was sweet! Ok ya she tried to bite once while on my shoulder. She walked around the front of my chest when I made a noise she didn’t like it, almost got me.. otherwise she climbs up my belly and it seems likes she’s licking my cheek, then nibbles on my ear and hair.

ok one more question, sorry....
She is on one leg and I notice she looks like she’s trembling sometimes.... like her belly looks like she’s shivering sometimes... is that ok??
Nibbling on your ear and hair sounds like courtship behaviour.

The shivering you are mentioning may be related to courtship also. If you can film it and find a way to share that it would help. If they are her lower feathers near her legs and she is trembling them whilst stepping and swaying, than it sounds a lot like courting.

I would do your best to de-escalate these situations. If she wants to be lovely maybe have toys around that you can hand her or a game you could play that misdirects the courtship behaviour into an activity. Also try to remove anything from her enclosure that can be seen as a nest. You want to do your best to remain in the friend zone. Try pretend play with your own set of parrot toys when she is playing with hers, eat your meals in her sightline and do anything you can do say, "look I enjoy your company as a friend, but lets not get too physical here!"

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...what happens after the trembling? Is there any other thing you can see or hear?
It's not a a serious thing...just asking... :)

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Nibbling on your ear and hair sounds like courtship behaviour.

The shivering you are mentioning may be related to courtship also. If you can film it and find a way to share that it would help. If they are her lower feathers near her legs and she is trembling them whilst stepping and swaying, than it sounds a lot like courting.

I would do your best to de-escalate these situations. If she wants to be lovely maybe have toys around that you can hand her or a game you could play that misdirects the courtship behaviour into an activity. Also try to remove anything from her enclosure that can be seen as a nest. You want to do your best to remain in the friend zone. Try pretend play with your own set of parrot toys when she is playing with hers, eat your meals in her sightline and do anything you can do say, "look I enjoy your company as a friend, but lets not get too physical here!"
[/

Omg!
Ok so there is a sound I make to her and I swear it hypnotizes her.. the. She makes a little noise (it’s so cute almost like short purrs) she eventually closes her eyes lol I love it!

but she shivers when I’m not close and she doesn’t step side to side or anything.... doesn’t seem like she’s trying to impress me lol

I don’t know if I can tell yet when to i interrupt whatever she’s doing lol

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Hi and welcome to the Avenue!
IRNs are wonderful birds....we had the pleasure of living with Titan, Ringneck for 26 years!
IRNs are intelligent...and independent.That combination really doesn't make them a popular species, which is a shame.
Titan was your typical male IRN...smart and very well mannered...if a bit reserved around every...at least at. the beginning.
When he discovered that he was a small human,that all changed...at about 3 months old. (we got him from a breeder as a hand fed 2 month old.
He was still well mannered...but he become less a loner and more a family
member.
Anyway, it seems like your little one has gotten to "that" stage...that's great!
Since she's been to a vet ( and everything checked out OK) my thought is keep on keeping on! Lots of chewable toys are great for them...and you have to interact with them as much as you can. Because they are so intelligent ( and curious), they get bored easily...you must intellectually challenge them every chance you get!
If you treat them AS an equal flock member, they will definitely respond in kind..Titan was living proof of that.
Oh yes...girls tend to be a bit more "zesty" than boys....so be aware that she will challenge sometime soon! As for bluffing...remember...IRNs DO NOT BLUFF! Bluffing is just a part of their body language...some of which, no doubt, you've already seen!
Defintely use caution when she's on yor shoulder...not because of dominance issues...but because birds are easily driven- FOR SOME REASON- to bite!
We were lucky...Titan never bit anyone...ever...we were lucky!
Ww' d love to see pics...and what's her name...we must properly welcome her!

I love reading your guys stuff about her! Makes me excited to love on her....
I wish I can upload videos but it won’t let me

Attachments

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:mtyu: Welcome!

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
I love reading your guys stuff about her! Makes me excited to love on her....
I wish I can upload videos but it won’t let me
I forgot to ask! How do I challenge her?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!